Zebralight H501 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H501 specs

Thanks for the USPS info. I tracked it there and got this message:

"Your item was accepted in CHINA PEOPLES REP on March 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

So it's still in China.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the USPS info. I tracked it there and got this message:

"Your item was accepted in CHINA PEOPLES REP on March 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

So it's still in China.
Mine says March 19, 2009 at 9:20 AM. They must be in the same bin. Usually USPS only gives acceptance date and delivery date, and not the stops along the way like UPS does, so who knows where they are by now.

Glock27

Enlightened

I'd think that the first batch of 501s' would be landing in Europe today.......mine left ems SHANGHAI....perhaps next week for me.
G27

Just ran my ems ## through usps tracking and they know it's coming! Your item left SHANGHAI EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP on March 20, 2009.

Last edited:

mkane

Newly Enlightened

I just received my H501 at an hour ago today via express mail and had to sign for it. I ordered 7 am Monday and ordered 2 to get the EMS shipping. It left Shangahi on Mar 18th. I also have the H50 for comparison. The H501 is noticeable brighter and the angle is definitely 80 degrees or less. There is a slight black band at 80 degrees and then a little more light out to about 160 degrees. Seems slightly hotter in the center and has a warmer tint. It is taller and slightly heaver than the H50. Weight is 17 grams for the H50 and 21 grams for the H501 without batteries.

The switch works well. From off you push and hold the switch and it cycles through the 3 levels in about 1 sec. You let the switch up at the level you want and it then remembers it. Two quick pushes puts it in a fast flash mode. If I can figure out how I will post some comparison pictures later.:D

Shorty66

Enlightened

do you have 14500s at hand? I would really like to know how the light works with them. :popcorn:

Have fun with your new toy.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received my H501 at an hour ago today via express mail and had to sign for it. I ordered 7 am Monday and ordered 2 to get the EMS shipping. It left Shangahi on Mar 18th. I also have the H50 for comparison. The H501 is noticeable brighter and the angle is definitely 80 degrees or less. There is a slight black band at 80 degrees and then a little more light out to about 160 degrees. Seems slightly hotter in the center and has a warmer tint. It is taller and slightly heaver than the H50. Weight is 17 grams for the H50 and 21 grams for the H501 without batteries.

The switch works well. From off you push and hold the switch and it cycles through the 3 levels in about 1 sec. You let the switch up at the level you want and it then remembers it. Two quick pushes puts it in a fast flash mode. If I can figure out how I will post some comparison pictures later.:D

You might have the title of being the first owner of the H501. Sounds like it's better than the H50. That's a good thing. Keep posting your impressions.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Are the battery tube walls still as thin as the H50, and does it still use double O-rings? Thanks.

Geoff

mkane

Newly Enlightened

The new CPF policy requires me to make 2 non spam posts before I receive full privileges and this is my 2ed post. The moderator took about 5 hours to approve my first post. I took some comparison pictures of the H50, H501, Jet Beam CE V2.0 and Jet-1 PRO V2.0 and beam shots of the H50 and H501 but CPF won't let me upload my pictures yet. I would be happy to email them to someone for posting. Hopefully with this post I will be able to upload pictures.

To answer your questions:

I do not have 14500's. The packaging says "or 3.7V 14500 Li-ion rechargeable".

Comparing shows the H501 to be warmer, no blue tint when compared to the H50, Jet Beam CE V2.0 or Jet 1 PRO V2.0. The beam shot picture shows this and the beam angle very well.

The H501 tube walls are just as thin as the H50 and there is only one o ring, not two.

The packaging included the head band, a black head band holder, A glow in the dark head band holder and a black pocket clip. The headband, holder and clips are the same as included with the H50. There was one spare o-ring. There was no extra glow in the dark holder with neck string or rubber light shield as was included in the H50.

The thing I like the most is the narrower angle which makes it brighter and more useful for night hiking, and there is a small amount of spill out the side. The lens is also much bigger and works well to focus the light into the narrower beam. The switch is also easier to use than the twist used on the H50 and you dont bump into the flash mode unless you want to. The H501 is much more useful for camp use and night hiking than the H50.:)

concept0

Enlightened

Hopefully with this post I will be able to upload pictures.

Moderator approval has nothing to do with posting pictures. You have to upload them to an external site like photobucket, then insert them in your posts using the "Insert Image" button that looks like a mountain with a sun over it...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new CPF policy requires me to make 2 non spam posts before I receive full privileges and this is my 2ed post. The moderator took about 5 hours to approve my first post. I took some comparison pictures of the H50, H501, Jet Beam CE V2.0 and Jet-1 PRO V2.0 and beam shots of the H50 and H501 but CPF won't let me upload my pictures yet. I would be happy to email them to someone for posting. Hopefully with this post I will be able to upload pictures.

To answer your questions:

I do not have 14500's. The packaging says "or 3.7V 14500 Li-ion rechargeable".

Comparing shows the H501 to be warmer, no blue tint when compared to the H50, Jet Beam CE V2.0 or Jet 1 PRO V2.0. The beam shot picture shows this and the beam angle very well.

The H501 tube walls are just as thin as the H50 and there is only one o ring, not two.

The packaging included the head band, a black head band holder, A glow in the dark head band holder and a black pocket clip. The headband, holder and clips are the same as included with the H50. There was one spare o-ring. There was no extra glow in the dark holder with neck string or rubber light shield as was included in the H50.

The thing I like the most is the narrower angle which makes it brighter and more useful for night hiking, and there is a small amount of spill out the side. The lens is also much bigger and works well to focus the light into the narrower beam. The switch is also easier to use than the twist used on the H50 and you dont bump into the flash mode unless you want to. The H501 is much more useful for camp use and night hiking than the H50.:)

Sounds good. Does it have more throw too? Also, what kind of battery do you use in the H501?

Thanks for the update.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to hear the pocket clip is the same. I look forward to the slow boat from China reaching the US west coast and unloading my new H501.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

from off, how many seconds is the switch pressed for Low to come on?

mkane

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to Concept0 for uploading instructions. Also, thanks to davidt1 and DaddyCool for offering to post pictures but I figured it out. Here are my 3 photos.

Photo 1: ZebraLight H50 left and H501 right. Both set on high. Lights about 4 inches from white paper, using eneloop AA's.
zebralight1.jpg

Photo 2: Close-up of ZebraLight H50 left and H501 right.
zebralight2.jpg

Photo 3: My 4 lights from left: Jet Beam Jet-1 PRO V2.0 IBS, Jet Beam CE, ZebraLight H501, and H50.
zebralight3.jpg

Regarding questions "Does it have more throw too? Also, what kind of battery do you use in the H501?"

It's brighter so I can see further. I tried it last night outside and the 80 degree angle lets me just see my feet and where I am going at the same time. The H50's wider angle let me see around me better and the H501 less so. The drop off at 80 degrees is pretty pronounced, although you can see a little out beyond 80 degrees. The battery used was the eneloop AA.

Also, the box it came in has no indication of the light warmth. The flash mode only works at high is more like a strobe at about 5-10 flashes per sec. When you push it on and keep it pushed it immediately goes to low for one second then med for 1/2 sec then high for 1/2 sec , then low for 1/2 sec and so on. Only when on high you can double click and it goes to strobe mode.:)

Last edited:

nuggett

Enlightened

in the first photo, the 501 is on the right, right?

DaddyCool

Newly Enlightened

Yes it is...

Uhh i am getting even more excited... many thanks for sharing your first impressions with us mkane!

Looks like the H501 has a nice warm tint for a Q5 though. But i slightly wonder how the beam looks at the curb... is this passage with 2-3 visible rings at the outer rim beyond the 80 degree limit?

Finally can you say something about the overall build quality/craftsmanship mkane? And: How do the silicone holder hold the light? Does the light fits really tight in there or is it a bit loose like it has been with the H50?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.