Zebralight H501 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H501 specs

Mkane,
Thanks for taking the pictures. This is a light I am looking forward too. However there is an 800pixle limit on the width of the pictures. Going over that creates a problem for laptop users like me, because the wide pictures causes the text for the entire thread to go off the edge and I have to scroll left and right to read each line.

Thanks,
CD

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to know more about how the H501 does with throw. I use my H50 for camp but wonder if I could replace my Apex or EOS for less known areas that need more throw than the H50.
mkane answered your question quite well - this series is designed as a flood light. There will be future versions with reflectors that will have more traditional beams to include throw.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

mkane answered your question quite well - this series is designed as a flood light. There will be future versions with reflectors that will have more traditional beams to include throw.

I wonder how big the reflector will be.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I know just thinking that the 80 degree would have a bit more throw than my H50's 120.

HorizonSon

Newly Enlightened

I just received mine today via the Post Office and WOW! I just got back from my nightly walk and WOW!...

Granted, most of my walk is on gravel or poorly paved road and not some deer trail. Note that I was able to comfortabley use it on the LOW setting. I did use it on the MEDIUM setting to better navigate (avoid) mud puddles. The HIGH setting is way more than enough for any walking/hiking of just about any kind. I still brought my Fenix L2D-CE, and kept it on the TURBO setting, for my "flamethrower". I used it to compare the Zebra's HIGH setting. I agree that a 150+ lumen with a tight beam, for real punch, would/is a perfect companion with the H501.

Sorry for writing so little...

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's good to hear another positive review.

HorizonSon

Newly Enlightened

Here's a slightly longer "rundown" I posted HERE:

I received my Zebralight H501, Yesturday afternoon. Last night I equipt it for my nightly 3 mile walk. WOW!

My walk consists of gravel/dirt roads and some paved roads in very poor condition. The last 1/4 mile total is "trail", ending with a small open meadow (for parking at the true trailhead).

I played with all the setting of course :) I was very very happily suprised to discover that for 90% of my walk, only the LOW setting was neccessary. Granted, I was walking on familiar grounds (I do it nightly, lol). On the dirt trails I liked using the MEDIUM setting to better spot mud puddles (It rains a LOT on the SW Oregon Coast!). The HIGH setting is bright enough to afford a very comfortable perimeter view of your location/campsite.

Notes:

If I were walking on/in unfamilier grounds, I would most definitely be using the MEDIUM setting: 18 Lumens ~ 19hrs. Especially if were are talking about hiking trails and other trails for that matter (I hike along deer trails sometimes).

The 80 degree is great! Wonderful! I think I would have prefered a 90 degree; if I was given the option. But the 80 degrees is enough to cover 90%+ of your "natural" plain-of-view.

The button is fairly sensitive. Enough so, that if you're wearing anything but "thin form-fitting deerskin gloves", it may be a little fustrating for some. (This is one more reason to invest in some of those fingerless wool gloves that have the fold-over mitten ends on them.) However; the sensitive button is very nice in keeping your H501 from changing position on your head! The minimal-pressure-needed clicky makes it a true one-handed operation = BIG PLUS!!!

This headlamp is LITE!!! Oh my, oh my! This is my first from Zebralight; and WOW! You keep wondering where this lightsource is coming from, lol. I wore a benie/cap last night and didn't have a single problem with slipping, slidding; nor needed to readjust my hat or light at any time during my walk (another BIG PLUS)! It stashes away small, into a pocket of your choise (not one that is "big enough to cram it into).

This headlamp is LIGHT!!! Truely truely, I tell you. The only accompaniment that would fall into the classification of "need", would be a 150+ Lumen "flamethrower". There are 2-3 (according to reviews I've read and some limited experience) that are at the top of the heap in the 2xAA arena for "punch factor".

For several years now; I have been kicking stones about the over abundance of 3xAAA headlamp configurations. I know it's cheapest for the manufactures this way, but that's no excuse! I have always thought that a single AA with a good quality "regulator" would be hands-down 100% better in every way imaginable! The financial cost difference will pay for itself in no time at all (with regular use). The cost benefit in other areas pays for itself immediately! :)

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone venture to guess why the area of the optic was made differently between the H501 and the H60? Based on the different beam shapes, even the plastic optics themselves seem different. The H60 has more spill and less of a "tunnel" beam shape than the H501.

Mikellen

Enlightened

To the new owners of the H501, how would you describe the tint? Is it on the warm side like mkane's posted mini review? (post# 185 and 196).

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone venture to guess why the area of the optic was made differently between the H501 and the H60? Based on the different beam shapes, even the plastic optics themselves seem different. The H60 has more spill and less of a "tunnel" beam shape than the H501.

My guess is the head housings are different for each light. I wish the beam of the H501 is like the H60. This inconsistency is not a good thing.

ichoderso

Enlightened

Hi, my new 501 with 5A tint arrived me at this moment!
I will make some pictures in the next time.
Jens

bfly

Newly Enlightened

FWIW, I got my H501 yesterday and compared it to my H30. The H30 had a slightly used Energizer Lithium and the H501 had a fully charged Energizer NiMH. Holding them about six inches from the wall the H30 was a little brighter and had less ringing at the edges. When I used them around the house the H501 seemed brighter which was probably due to its warmer tint.

On a side note, the H501 wasn't happy with the fully charged NiMH. It was stuck in low until it burned off some of the charge. I would love to hear how the H501 works with 14500s. I am thinking about getting a set of 14500s for the H501 and my D10.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

On a side note, the H501 wasn't happy with the fully charged NiMH. It was stuck in low until it burned off some of the charge.

That doesn't sound like things are behaving quite right. Did you try a regular alkaline? A fully charged NiMH should not have too high a voltage. If it does you may have a problem.

Geoff

concept0

Enlightened

How did you get a 5A tint version? I would order one if available...

You have to send a message to customer service through the link on their website. They'll let you know if they have any available and send you their PayPal address.

It's the same price as the regular version ($59 + $6 shipping), but they don't have packaging for it yet. So you'll just get the light and included accessories (if there are any). They only have a limited # available, so don't wait if you want one... I don't mind telling you this because mine is already on the way!

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have to send a message to customer service through the link on their website. They'll let you know if they have any available and send you their PayPal address.

It's the same price as the regular version ($59 + $6 shipping), but they don't have packaging for it yet. So you'll just get the light and included accessories (if there are any). They only have a limited # available, so don't wait if you want one... I don't mind telling you this because mine is already on the way!

thanks, very generous of you. cpfer of the year :twothumbs:p

contact sent..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.