Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How big of a light (physical size) will be able to be tested in the new sphere?

Ideally the opening of the sphere should be 6 times less than the inside diameter. It really should not be less than 4 times. A 12 inch sphere (inner diameter) ideal port size would be 2 inch opening, maximum would be 3 inch. A 22 inch sphere divided by 4 is 5.5 inches but I recommend to go 22/5 for 4.4 to 4.5 inches max for good results. That would be the bezel total width diameter to get the head right up to the entry plane but not cross into the inside wall of the sphere itself. If it breaks through the plane you can actually see the numbers drop as the light starts hitting the side of the bezel and ruins the total reflections to provide for maximum "Integration". Plus it will be able to handle higher wattage incan lights as well.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally the opening of the sphere should be 6 times less than the inside diameter. It really should not be less than 4 times. A 12 inch sphere (inner diameter) ideal port size would be 2 inch opening, maximum would be 3 inch. A 22 inch sphere divided by 4 is 5.5 inches but I recommend to go 22/5 for 4.4 to 4.5 inches max for good results. That would be the bezel total width diameter to get the head right up to the entry plane but not cross into the inside wall of the sphere itself. If it breaks through the plane you can actually see the numbers drop as the light starts hitting the side of the bezel and ruins the total reflections to provide for maximum "Integration". Plus it will be able to handle higher wattage incan lights as well.

Good to hear. I was afraid the 24.5in would be hard pressed for 4.5in port.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I will use this spot to track the donations towards the 16.5in Sphere. paypal is [email protected] :D

• SmokeLaw1 = $25= completed.
  • Flashfriend = $5 = completed.
  • Ti-force $15 = completed.
  • calebra= $50 = completed.
  • FroggyTaco $10 = completed.
  • Vortus $5 = completed.
  • MiniLux $25 = completed.
Hi Folks....

The new paypal balance is $132.75.

calebra

Banned
c'mon people, its all well and good us all needing to know the truth, so keep the donations coming, hmm, dont see any retailers donating either. :shakehead

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the VaraPower1000 by lambdalights. It is a 2D Mag with 3 NiMH C cells with the same knob switch that controls both the levels and the on/off functions.

I also tested a P7 direct drive with 3 NiMH AA Tenergy Cells.

NOTE: The lux is a little less then the SST-90 VarPower2000 variant. I guess the brute 700 extra lumens will do that!!!

Vara10000.png

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
c'mon people, its all well and good us all needing to know the truth, so keep the donations coming, hmm, dont see any retailers donating either. :shakehead

Once I hit $200 I will order the 24in Sphere:thumbsup:

Oh and all of my lights I actually purchased just for testing too. There were about 2 dozen provided temporarily by Craig too.

I will have a Milky Custom E-Series Cremator with R2 direct drive to test soon. Scott, mentioned its the most extreme heatsinking he has ever done or outsourced. :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs Did I mention the L1 can fit a AW 17670 cell:eek:

Oh and a local guy has a Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5 too. I plan to really get these 2 lights tested by next Friday or sooner.

Last edited:

calebra

Banned
wouldnt mind seeing the results from the SFIII range...perhaps there is someone living nearby...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
wouldnt mind seeing the results from the SFIII range...perhaps there is someone living nearby...

The SFIII is the ARcMania SMT LED light powered by an 18650 right?

If so it has been tested already thanks to AaronM for sending it to me.

calebra

Banned
The SFIII is the ARcMania SMT LED light powered by an 18650 right?

If so it has been tested already thanks to AaronM for sending it to me.
ahh ty for that, a bit disappointing to say the least, it was meant to be around the 1000L mark.

calebra

Banned
BigC, are you sure when you tested the SF III SMT that you had it on high for the test?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the VP1K results. It's good to see how the AccuEvolutions performed. I think the extra sag is a reasonable trade-off for the lower self-discharge.

Based on side-by-side comparisons with my Lambda Revolution 3C (that MrGman tested at ~750), your result for the VP1K are about what I expected.

Did you happen to test the AccuEvolutions with the VP2K?

I've hesitated ordering any Tenergy C's, because they've had such a mixed reputation here. Wish there were more NiMH C options.

Lambda has said that since he's pushing the emitters so hard, using D cells instead of C's with the same PWM rates was often too much. I'm curious about Sub C's though. There's better high current options in that size. Might be time to order 4x Elite 5000's.

$25 sent for the bigger sphere fund.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigC, are you sure when you tested the SF III SMT that you had it on high for the test?

Absolutely it was on high, but it has probably the best construction and attention to detail I have ever seen.

To be fair all Osram LED's me or Mrgman have tested have been nothing but dissapointment in terms of OTF. If ArcMania uses an SST-50 in the future the results will be spectacular for sure.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the VP1K results. It's good to see how the AccuEvolutions performed. I think the extra sag is a reasonable trade-off for the lower self-discharge.

Based on side-by-side comparisons with my Lambda Revolution 3C (that MrGman tested at ~750), your result for the VP1K are about what I expected.

Did you happen to test the AccuEvolutions with the VP2K?

I've hesitated ordering any Tenergy C's, because they've had such a mixed reputation here. Wish there were more NiMH C options.

Lambda has said that since he's pushing the emitters so hard, using D cells instead of C's with the same PWM rates was often too much. I'm curious about Sub C's though. There's better high current options in that size. Might be time to order 4x Elite 5000's.

$25 sent for the bigger sphere fund.

Gswitter I got the $25 for the 24in Sphere thank you:thumbsup:

I did test my Lambda Varapower2000 with both NiMH C cells and your tailcap (the copper resistance modded). The OTF results suffered greatly with both cells and I was in the 1000 OTF range just by a tailcap switch.

I put the stock (no resistance) tailcap back on and the lumens were right back in the 1500~1300 OTF range.

bigC

elho

Enlightened
Once I hit $200 I will order the 24in Sphere:thumbsup:
:paypal: for $16 - with no way to do "personal" transfers over here, I hope at least $15 arrive at your end...

Oh and a local guy has a Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5 too. I plan to really get these 2 lights tested by next Friday or sooner.
Looking forward to that one! :party:
To my naked eye it is quite close to my 24W Xenide with diffuser (and smokes the nalibender SST-90 drop-in ;)).

calebra

Banned
Absolutely it was on high, but it has probably the best construction and attention to detail I have ever seen.

To be fair all Osram LED's me or Mrgman have tested have been nothing but dissapointment in terms of OTF. If ArcMania uses an SST-50 in the future the results will be spectacular for sure.

bigC
yep, i hear ya, btw, i have his sst-50 and his osram 15w and they are both very different animals...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did test my Lambda Varapower2000 with both NiMH C cells and your tailcap (the copper resistance modded). The OTF results suffered greatly with both cells and I was in the 1000 OTF range just by a tailcap switch.

I put the stock (no resistance) tailcap back on and the lumens were right back in the 1500~1300 OTF range.
Let me get this straight... you tested your VP2K with the copper-strapped tail cap from my VP1K and the output dropped by a third? And that drop occurred with both the AccuEvolution and the Tenergy cells?

calebra

Banned
Let me get this straight... you tested your VP2K with the copper-strapped tail cap from my VP1K and the output dropped by a third? And that drop occurred with both the AccuEvolution and the Tenergy cells?
Lambda does mention in his thread that HIS tailcap is instrumental in output and shouldnt be altered for various reasons ...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup.

Lambda mentioned the current can go as sky high as 15A if I use that copper mod tailcap and suggested I stick to the stock one:laughing: