Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do you have any idea of the throw/lux on this light? Would it be reasonable to assume the SST 50 version would throw farther as it's a smaller LED in the same size reflector?
How fast does it get too hot to handle? Any idea of approximate runtime?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
How fast does it get too hot to handle? Any idea of approximate runtime?

I should be releasing my info soon, but at 3 minutes its time for a lower mode. It gets hot, but that knob makes it as easy as just turning down to a lesser output say 1200 lumens:eek:

The lux at 5 meters is impressive and 1 meter calculated only to DBS R2. And this is with an SST-90, which is alot of throw for a super big LED.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple weeks ago I went on a night hike with a group of CPF members. Craig had the SR90 and Gswitter had the VaraPower 2000. I thought wholly cow these SST-90's are awesome, but liked the VaraPower more because too me it appeared brighter. Next thing you know I purchased my own.

The VaraPower2000 is made by Lambdalights:
http://www.lambdalights.com/varapower.html

It is a 3D Mag powered by 4 NiMH C cells = 5.6~6.7v topped off cells. I did test it with 3 NiMH D cells too, but its underdriven at 4.2v. Its wired direct drive with an adjustable knob like the SPY07 lights.

Here are my results: OH yeah almost 35K 1 meter lux too. :grin2:
VaraPower.png

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
1538 lumens is the max your sphere system/meter can read. I believe that light puts out more and the meter is simply maxxed out. You need for these guys to chip in and get you the bigger 24 inch sphere system so you can read lights up over 3500 lumens.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple weeks ago I went on a night hike with a group of CPF members. Craig had the SR90 and Gswitter had the VaraPower 2000. I thought wholly cow these SST-90's are awesome, but liked the VaraPower more because too me it appeared brighter. Next thing you know I purchased my own.

The VaraPower2000 is made by Lambdalights:
http://www.lambdalights.com/varapower.html

It is a 3D Mag powered by 4 NiMH C cells = 5.6~6.7v topped off cells. I did test it with 3 NiMH D cells too, but its underdriven at 4.2v. Its wired direct drive with an adjustable knob like the SPY07 lights.

Here are my results: OH yeah almost 35K 1 meter lux too. :grin2:

Big C, That looks like a great light. The Mag Rebel reflector is a real winner. I am surprized you only got 35K @ 1 meter but it looked brighter than SR90? as SR90 was measured by others to be 112K @ 1 meter . I wonder if the SR90 was on high? Or was the battery partially discharged? The SR90 with a fully driven SST-90 & a huge 4" SMO reflector should have 2-3x the throw.

I just finished a light with similar set-up, SST-90/mag rebel Deep SMO,
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273748

Using DX lux meter:
With 1x26650 DD, I got 34K @ 1meter
With 4xEneloops, I got 45K @ 1 meter, starting out at 8.13 Amp.

With DX meter reading low than those expensive lux meters,
I estimated it should be easily >50K @ 1 meter.

Do you know what bin of the SST-90 was used?
What heat sink was used?
Could you still adjust focus? I cold just my focus & get very tight spot.

Just curious, as the meg Rebel SMO should be able to do more.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been told that the 24" styrofoam sphere is in the $120 price range and I don't know if that includes shipping.

Yeah, it would be safe to assume a total price of about $220 with shipping and everything. I know that's high, but that size sphere is considered oversized, so the s/h is really expensive. I have the exact cost wrote down at home from when I was pricing them. I'll try to find it when I get home.

Now if we can get people to be as generous with a small amount of money, as BigC has been with his time and knowledge. I don't think people realize just how much time is required to do everything BigC does. From un-boxing the lights, all the way to boxing them back up, driving to the post office; waiting in line to pay for shipping and then dropping them off

Think about it guys, and while you're thinking about it, here's something else to consider for anyone whose had BigC test a light for them. If I'm not mistaken, it costs $250 and up to have a light tested by a company that does this stuff for a living.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big C, That looks like a great light. The Mag Rebel reflector is a real winner. I am surprized you only got 35K @ 1 meter but it looked brighter than SR90? as SR90 was measured by others to be 112K @ 1 meter . I wonder if the SR90 was on high? Or was the battery partially discharged? The SR90 with a fully driven SST-90 & a huge 4" SMO reflector should have 2-3x the throw.

I just finished a light with similar set-up, SST-90/mag rebel Deep SMO,
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273748

Using DX lux meter:
With 1x26650 DD, I got 34K @ 1meter
With 4xEneloops, I got 45K @ 1 meter, starting out at 8.13 Amp.

With DX meter reading low than those expensive lux meters,
I estimated it should be easily >50K @ 1 meter.

Do you know what bin of the SST-90 was used?
What heat sink was used?
Could you still adjust focus? I cold just my focus & get very tight spot.

Just curious, as the meg Rebel SMO should be able to do more.

I do the 5 meter lux and calculate for 1 meter. I do not actually take the 1 meter reading because it was considered not as consistant as doing say 5 meters and calculating back to 1 meter.

• The SST-90 I was told is 10A at the LED (I haven't confirmed this yet)
  • You can adjust the focus too and yes surprisingly I get a tiny hot spot.
  • The heatsink must be good and appears longer then the normal ones used as it goes way down into the tube by the switch. I think Lambda makes his own to work with the switch knob he uses.
  • We did beam shoots in the middle of the hike and towards the end, so it could be the SR90 had too much action that night which might have made it appear less bright by the time I got to see it.

I will top off the NiMH C cells and try the actual 1 meter reading to see if I get higher lux readings.

I have the VaraPower 1000 the SST-50 in the same Rebel deep reflector comming today as a loaner from GSwitter. lovecpf

calebra

Banned
i must say my 4D varapower by Lambda is the ducks nuts, just awesome power from the lowest of low's to the highest of highs!

flashfiend

Enlightened
1538 lumens is the max your sphere system/meter can read. I believe that light puts out more and the meter is simply maxxed out. You need for these guys to chip in and get you the bigger 24 inch sphere system so you can read lights up over 3500 lumens.

Good to know. I was wondering why the FM1909 bulb measured exactly the same as the varapower sst-90. I wonder what the real lumen comparison is? It's funny to think of this but if they were the same output-wise, the sst-90 is drawing 9-10amps (@4.8v) while the FM1909 draws 5.4amps (@11.1v). For me it makes the LED-incan comparison a little more level.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know. I was wondering why the FM1909 bulb measured exactly the same as the varapower sst-90. I wonder what the real lumen comparison is? It's funny to think of this but if they were the same output-wise, the sst-90 is drawing 9-10amps (@4.8v) while the FM1909 draws 5.4amps (@11.1v). For me it makes the LED-incan comparison a little more level.

What I do is put the light into the sphere and as soon as I get a reading which is 17sec for the FM1909 and about 23 seconds for the VaraPower2000. So, yes they make similar OTF numbers but then the runtime puts it back on perspective.

bigC

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I do is put the light into the sphere and as soon as I get a reading which is 17sec for the FM1909 and about 23 seconds for the VaraPower2000. So, yes they make similar OTF numbers but then the runtime puts it back on perspective.

bigC

for those who may not know what that means. The meter reads overload and he is waiting for it to come down to the threshold where it will actually give numbers. So if it takes 17 seconds for one light to come down while its output is diminishing from warm up and battery sag versus another that takes 23 seconds to give a real reading, the one at 23 second was obviously brighter for a longer period of time or maybe just held its brightness level longer due to better heat control. That's why we need at the very least a 16 inch size sphere which is the last one I had but since big C is in to testing these latest mega lights and now there are so many out there, in order to do it right he really needs to jump right into the 24 inch diameter sphere which should put him up over the 4000 lumen readable range without pegging the meter. I hope this makes sense to every one.

In the meantime, he has donated a heck of a lot of his time and shouldn't have to pay for everything himself. tell em where to send donations to big C.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the meantime, he has donated a heck of a lot of his time and shouldn't have to pay for everything himself. tell em where to send donations to big C.

:twothumbs

+ 1 Let us know where to send money; I'll donate the first $15 to you BigC. You've done a lot for me(and others), and I really appreciate it:thumbsup:.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I found my notes for the sphere pricing. I was wrong on the price. It's the 30" sphere that's so expensive to ship. The shipping alone is $100 for the 30" sphere.

The pricing for the 24" sphere is as follows:
Sphere: $85.00
Shipping and handling: $23.23
Total= $108.23

$108.23 + 10%(possible price increases) = $119.05
$119.05 - $15.00(my donation) = $104.05

Okay people, the target goal here is to raise at least $100.00 more for BigC. Anything over $100.00, IMO, is rightfully deserved by BigC. I'd also like to take this moment to thank MrGman also. If it weren't for him, all of this probably wouldn't be possible:twothumbs. Selfless actions like you guys have made are the reason why lovecpf.

Last edited:

flashfiend

Enlightened

bigC

What about runtime? FM 1909 draws 5.4 amps from a 2300mah pack and this light draws 10 amps from possibly a 4500mah pack. Am I missing something here? They're fairly similar.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about runtime? FM 1909 draws 5.4 amps from a 2300mah pack and this light draws 10 amps from possibly a 4500mah pack. Am I missing something here? They're fairly similar.

You are missing the total power or watts with no load.

At 1st glace one might think they are very similar in watts (no load)

The FM1909 with 12.4V input and 5.4~5.6A at the tail is around 65 watts of power.

The Lambda VaraPower2000 is 5.6V input and pulls 10A and I thought wholly crap thats 56 watts, but no. I learned today the VaraPower has a circuit built in that drops the voltage input so the output is constant.. I will have to take the builder on his word and assume its 10A at the LED for a total of 30 watts on high mode. I am confused on this now that I tried to explain it:ohgeez: I just took the tailcap reading on my vARaPower2000 with 4 NiMH C cells it gets 8A at the tail. The voltage may be bumped down or up depending on the cylce of the cells voltage input. Confused yet?

Gswitter, if you are around maybe you can better explain this since you enlightened me on this issue.

Overall yes the FM1909 and the Varapower make similar OTF numbers, but the SST-90 does it at 50% less the power consumption.

Last edited:

flashfiend

Enlightened
BigC, you talked about runtime not power and efficiency. Certainly the LED is more efficient but it doesn't run for much longer.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigC, you talked about runtime not power and efficiency. Certainly the LED is more efficient but it doesn't run for much longer.

I tested the fivemega FM1909 for 15 minutes continuous before:twothumbs

The lambda VaraPower 2000 I have to try and recored the 3 minute intervals because I can't just got that long without going to low or off.

I did use it on high till the cells drained to break them in (new NiMH cells) and as soon as it looked dim on high it was time to charge. It took nearly a whole day to re-charge.

bigC