Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this test bigC and also to daberti for providing the light.

bigC, have you tested it's cousin: the Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra? Curious how that compares in brightness since people say that it is driven harder than the Signature SST-50.

Roughly speaking you should expect 400-430Lm OTF (bare minimum) as a rough estimate.
This is MY OWN opinion.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Any chance of gettin you to add lux readings to thse new lights? Especially lights designed to throw like the Microfire Aspheric. For throwers lux more important than lumens.

What is an "E2 IMR 350 lumen dropin"? I know what an E2 is but I don't know who makes the IMR 350 lumen?

Noctis

Enlightened
I would push for doing a series of tests on the readily available drop-ins(Nailbender, Dereelight, Thrunite) in the same host(I would suggest the Surefire 6P bored body by virtue of the fact that ElectronGuru/Moddoo seems to have an infinite supply of them).

lux readings would definitely be a big plus in seeing how each one potentially throws.

I would also compare some readings with and without copper tape to make a snug fit. As the primary downfall of P60 drop-in modules would be the part where only the upper portion of the reflector makes contact with the host body, and it would be interesting to see how the tape would affect thermal transfer and in effect, lumens output.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Big C - any chance you got lux measurements of the signature SST 50 with the turbo bezel? I was wondering how big a difference it made ...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big C - any chance you got lux measurements of the signature SST 50 with the turbo bezel? I was wondering how big a difference it made ...

That is the lux with the turbo head. We have to keep in mind that the SST-50 is huge compared to an R2 and thus to trully have a ton of throw it needs to keep the same ratio of emitter surface area to reflector that the smaller D36 R2 type of lights have.

The small bezel is almost the size of E1e incan bezel and all flood, so I didn't bother taking lux readings.

I don't have the microfire aspheric anymore, and you are correct considering what it is I should have taken the lux.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that it's a Surefire E2 [/E2E/E2D] running a LumensFactory IMR-E2 (7.4V, 350 Lumens) Lamp Assembly. Really bright - I was considering this setup a while back.

That is correct. Its the Lumens Factory IMR lamp, but at 30 minutes or less my AW 17500 cells stop delivering juice and lights out.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
That is the lux with the turbo head. We have to keep in mind that the SST-50 is huge compared to an R2 and thus to trully have a ton of throw it needs to keep the same ratio of emitter surface area to reflector that the smaller D36 R2 type of lights have.

The small bezel is almost the size of E1e incan bezel and all flood, so I didn't bother taking lux readings.

I don't have the microfire aspheric anymore, and you are correct considering what it is I should have taken the lux.

Wow! So that means that even with the turbohead on it wouldn't throw near as far as my XP-G RG Eagletac TC?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the Malkoff M61 get tested yet? Can't seem to find the thing.

Not yet. Everytime I want to they are sold out. Plus; with only 1A I already know it will do around 300 OTF and hold it pretty steady.

What I am working on now is measuring the LamdaLights VarPower 2000. It is a 3D Mag with SST-90 and it runs off 4 NiMH C cells for 10A at the LED:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

It already measures above 1500 OTF lumens, but I am working on getting the peak lumens with 3 or 4 minute runtime. I should have these numbers by next Friday. This light is just freaking amazing and it is the reason why the SR90 didn't impress me when I saw it.

http://www.lambdalights.com/varapower.html

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Not yet. Everytime I want to they are sold out. Plus; with only 1A I already know it will do around 300 OTF and hold it pretty steady.

What I am working on now is measuring the LamdaLights VarPower 2000. It is a 3D Mag with SST-90 and it runs off 4 NiMH C cells for 10A at the LED:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

It already measures above 1500 OTF lumens, but I am working on getting the peak lumens with 3 or 4 minute runtime. I should have these numbers by next Friday. This light is just freaking amazing and it is the reason why the SR90 didn't impress me when I saw it.

Is this the one Gordon brought on the night hike? I thought his was a 4D?
I concur... its an AMAZING light. The UI is KILLER too.

Click button for on, rotate button for output adjustment. Everyone is familiar with the dimmer rheostat in their dining room, thats what this reminded me of.

Looking forward to your results

**EDIT**
Oh CRAP... Its only $175!!!??... I thought it was in the $300's
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur... its an AMAZING light. The UI is KILLER too.

Click button for on, rotate button for output adjustment.

Looking forward to your results
:thumbsup:

Nope: I purchased my own.

It has a deep Mag Rebel reflector, so the heatsink sits about half inch into the Mag tube. This makes the bezel and switch area equally hot while testing.

These are 3D Mags which run on 4 NiMH C cells with spacer.

Here is what it does on the 2nd from highest mode: Again, not the high mode.:nana:

1385.4 1 sec
1260.0 30 sec
1200.0 1 min
1068.5 2 min
1038.5 3 min
1013.1 4 min

JCD

Enlightened
I would be interested in seeing how different bezel rings affect output. Does an aftermarket stainless ring on a 6P, for example, increase the total light output by reflecting more light? Does a crenelated 6PD have reduced output compared to a regular 6P? How much difference does bezel ring selection make?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in seeing how different bezel rings affect output. Does an aftermarket stainless ring on a 6P, for example, increase the total light output by reflecting more light? Does a crenelated 6PD have reduced output compared to a regular 6P? How much difference does bezel ring selection make?

Crenealted bezels like the 6P defender do take lumens away, but only from the spill.

MrGman already made note of this and it is why I only use flat stainless steel rings for all my 6P tests. Oh, and of course he was the one who got me to switch to UCL AR coated lens too. I don't think I own a light without it.

Flat bezels (metal) vs. Flat bezels (plastic inser) = this I have not tested for comparison, but I do not have the later.

bigC

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
BigC - how does that switch work on the Lambdalight? I was reading their website and it almost seemed to imply that 1000 lumens was the minimum output and 2,000 was the maximum?

Do you think it can run AW 26650 IMR's?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigC - how does that switch work on the Lambdalight? I was reading their website and it almost seemed to imply that 1000 lumens was the minimum output and 2,000 was the maximum?

Do you think it can run AW 26650 IMR's?

The switch is a thing of beauty and genius. You push on/off. It will always turn-on the last setting. Then you just twist righ or left. Right for more light left for less. It is identical to a U2 or Spy5 Spy7 lights you see here where you just twist a knob to control brightness.

The 10A at the LED also means you get a switch that is designed for those high currents and at the price he offers It is the least expensive I have ever seen any light of that caliber.

bigC

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just looks like a 4D because of the FM deep reflector/extension. :eek:

The initial run of the VaraPowers was based on the incan Mags - either 4x NiMH C cells in a 3D host (also runs fine with lower output on 3x D NiMH cells), or 4x NiMH D cells in a 4D host.

He's now using the Mag Rebel LED hosts (for those awesome reflectors), so the design has changed a little. The Mag Rebel reflector is a big improvement, but comes at the cost of compatibility with other aftermarket Mag reflectors (like the FM 2" deep).

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

Do you have any idea of the throw/lux on this light? Would it be reasonable to assume the SST 50 version would throw farther as it's a smaller LED in the same size reflector?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any idea of the throw/lux on this light? Would it be reasonable to assume the SST 50 version would throw farther as it's a smaller LED in the same size reflector?

I will get the 5 meter lux, but yes it is safe to assume the SST-50 will have more lux.