Actual Lumen Readings in 10.5in Sphere.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it a bad thing that it was pulling over 5 amps? I would think that would make it very bright? Of course you know it wasn't as bright as it should be but I would just think that it is good for a DD SST-50 or SST-90 to pull a lot of amps.

You do have a huge edge over the rest of us because if you get an LED that doesn't seem as bright as it should be you can actually TEST it and find out!

I actually have the 2.8 amp 3 mode SST-50 and I'me thrilled with it but I have been yearning fof another NB product.

BTW, you shouldn't brag about getting another Milky masterpiece when most of us can't get to first base!

5.68A on the SST-50 in a Mag D hosts with copper slug = might be enough to dissipate heat and 1000 plus lumens are possible and were with the Ma_Sha1 2C SST-50 I tested.

5.68A = P60 drop-in was too much heat for that little module.

I think somebody should send me their SST-50 2.8A regulated NB drop-in to compare it against the already tested 2.5A model I tested.

MILKY made me wait too, but finally the wait is over:party:

bigC

sfca

Enlightened
I think somebody should send me their SST-50 2.8A regulated NB drop-in to compare it against the already tested 2.5A model I tested.

Sigh... Not here yet. Big things happening too on the life front.

Anybody else got one to send in? Have 2 to test is much better then just 1 :D

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I got the Moddoo Tripple in warm 4500k color. This one is fully regulated and a work of art.

P1010005.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010001.jpg

Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____2 IMR 18650________ 826.2 ______ 1 sec_________________________
____________________4500 WARM/Regulated________________________ 801.5_______30 sec______________________
____________________________1.32A at the tail_____________________________________ 793.1_______1 min______________________
______________________Moddoo Zero resistance Mod_________________________________783.1_______2 min_______________________
_______________________________________________________________________________ 776.9_______3 min_______________________

daimleramg

Banned
Moddoo's Triple XPG R5 direct drive stayed at a constant 1050 lumens for 3 mins with AW's 18650 LiCo cell. Wondering why this version with a driver doesnt have flat regulation within the first 3 mins.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Surefire C2 UCL____Moddoo Tripple XP-G R5____2 IMR 18650________ 826.2 ______ 1 sec_________________________
____________________4500 WARM/Regulated________________________ 801.5_______30 sec______________________
____________________________1.32A at the tail_____________________________________ 793.1_______1 min______________________
______________________Moddoo Zero resistance Mod_________________________________783.1_______2 min_______________________
_______________________________________________________________________________ 776.9_______3 min_______________________

This drop-in really impresses me from the V1 to V3. But unluckily missed to get one. Wonder if "kerberos0023" custom triple can match the lumen output of the direct drive and regulated triple of moddoo's. Wish someone will send you kerberos version for you to test and compare it to the moddoo.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Moddoo's Triple XPG R5 direct drive stayed at a constant 1050 lumens for 3 mins with AW's 18650 LiCo cell. Wondering why this version with a driver doesnt have flat regulation within the first 3 mins.

The direct drive triple has the superior thermal path because it omitted the MCPCB. In order to get a constant/regulated light output you have to add the requisite circuitry/components and for that you need a board, thus bringing back the MCPCB. Despite this added thermal resistance the lumen drop is lower than any other P-60 module I've ever seen at this wattage. Very impressive to say the least!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hello all,

I got the Moddoo Tripple in warm 4500k color. This one is fully regulated and a work of art.

:twothumbs

800Lu / 11Watts = 72 Lumens per Watt consumed

Pretty good efficiency overall:thumbsup:

Another Moddoo winner

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

800Lu / 11Watts = 72 Lumens per Watt consumed

Pretty good efficiency overall:thumbsup:

Another Moddoo winner

And thats with the warm model, which I must admit looks alot brighter than a cool WildCat XP-G tripple.

The cool XP-G R5 from moddoo should be at least 100 more OTF lumens, which would put it at 81 lumens per watt or better:thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested Kramer5150's A2 RED in the past and it was fully regulated with 2 CR123 primaries or rechargeables. I then got a White LED version, but when I put some rechargeables the tint turns angry blue.

For now: I was able to test it with primary CR123's at 3.10V each.

Kramer5150; mine is brighter:touche:

Surefire A2 RED______________Stock________2 CR123 Thrustfires_________90.8______1 sec__________________________
____________________________________________8.4V Input__________ 87.7______30 sec_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 86.2______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 85.4______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 85.4______3 min_________________________
Surefire A2 White LED's________Stock________2 CR123 Primaries_________98.5______1 sec__________________________
____________________________________________6V Input____________ 95.4______30 sec_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 95.4______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 93.8______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 93.1______3 min_________________________

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

Thanks guys for all of the comments.

What I really like about this test, is that I now have a solid "calibration number" to base my own sphere testing on.

I should be able to rely on my numbers within a few percent now.

Really nice to see that it only drops about 6% while it warms up. It will drop very little after that. Continuous use of this model is possible while walking outdoors.(depending on ambient temp and wind, etc) The host temp stabilizes after a few minutes.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Milky E1e RoomSweeper build with a SST-50 and a huge copper heatsink is bright. Over 500 OTF even after 3 minutes:eek:

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010010.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must get a little toasty in your hand.

BC will have to comment on that... his hands after all! ...but when testing the light, I was surprised that it didn't get hotter, faster. Eventually it will of course get hot, but the entire light tends to warm at more-or-less the same time rather than having all the heat concentrate in the head alone. I believe the excellent heatsinking in this particular build is responsible for that. I personally found the light very comfortable after even a few minutes of continuous run (but maybe I'm a freak) and given the light's design as an instrument for overwhelming light delivered in short intervals, it seems to do nicely for the intended purpose. :naughty:

recDNA

Flashaholic
BC will have to comment on that... his hands after all! ...but when testing the light, I was surprised that it didn't get hotter, faster. Eventually it will of course get hot, but the entire light tends to warm at more-or-less the same time rather than having all the heat concentrate in the head alone. I believe the excellent heatsinking in this particular build is responsible for that. I personally found the light very comfortable after even a few minutes of continuous run (but maybe I'm a freak) and given the light's design as an instrument for overwhelming light delivered in short intervals, it seems to do nicely for the intended purpose. :naughty:

Single mode?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well it's definitely a "hot" little flashlight. Great work as usual.

And if you ever get the urge to build one of these again I have an LX2 waiting!

P6070012.jpg

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have tested Kramer5150's A2 RED in the past and it was fully regulated with 2 CR123 primaries or rechargeables. I then got a White LED version, but when I put some rechargeables the tint turns angry blue.

For now: I was able to test it with primary CR123's at 3.10V each.

Kramer5150; mine is brighter:touche:

Surefire A2 RED______________Stock________2 CR123 Thrustfires_________90.8______1 sec__________________________
____________________________________________8.4V Input__________ 87.7______30 sec_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 86.2______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 85.4______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 85.4______3 min_________________________
Surefire A2 White LED's________Stock________2 CR123 Primaries_________98.5______1 sec__________________________
____________________________________________6V Input____________ 95.4______30 sec_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 95.4______1 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 93.8______2 min_________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________ 93.1______3 min_________________________

Aah yes... But Sir lord of the sphere can yours do.... THIS:devil:...?

dscn6167.jpg

R2D2 likes night vision :p
dscn6246t.jpg

Yeah the RCR123 cells do over-drive the LEDs, but yours is the first case I have read of them severely over-driving them:thinking:. Many members use their A2s like me with RCR123 cells, with no ill-effects.

I think there is a way to change SMT resistors and mod the LED ring to drive the Nichias at a lower current. But, I think primaries work best in the A2 for the added run time (3 times as long as RCR123).

I wonder if using cheaper non-IMR cells like mine will help?

It would be interesting to see if our results will be the same swapping our lamps... I'm willing to bet its your white LEDs giving you a ~10L boost.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what the Milky SST-50 Copper RoomSweeper does:

Surefire E1e___________SST-50 DD______________1 IMR 16340__________ 722.3______1 sec________________________
Milky RoomSweeper______________________________________________ 526.9______30 sec________________________
________________________________________________________________ 513.1______1 min_________________________
___________________________________________3.5A at tail___________ 511.5______2 min________________________
________________________________________________________________ 504.6______3 min________________________
Surefire E1e___________SST-50 DD______________ 2 NiZn AA __________ 584.6______1 sec________________________
Milky RoomSweeper______________________________________________ 523.8______30 sec________________________
________________________________________________________________ 481.5______1 min_________________________
___________________________________________1.8A at tail___________ 466.2______2 min________________________
________________________________________________________________ 468.5______3 min________________________

Please note: The UBH- E series body allows me to use 2 AA cells with E-head/tail. When I put the M61 and E1b tailcap I get nearly 100% identical OTF vs. in an 6P with zero tolerance tailcap.

But

With this SST-50 the same E1b tailcap takes away almost 200 OTF lumens vs. the twistie. I had noticed this before when testing my M30 that pulls 1.8A and a different E-series clicky too. It seems these twisties are better at higher current. I bet the McClicky E-series mods will be even better too. Anybody want to donate one to find out??? PM me. please!!

Last edited: