MagHID vs. MagCharger Throw?

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

According to:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_throw.htm

The MagCharger is the best throwing light in standard "barrel shaped" tubular small diameter (D-cell size) flashlights. And with about 200 lumens, it's a respectable total output as well.

I know what the output of a 450-500 lumen 10W HID bulb looks like, since I have a UK LightCannon 100. But I am thinking of replacing it with a MagHID from Waterfish and ufokillerz. But before spending serious money for a MagHID (which is about 3.5 times the price of the MagCharger, so better be worth it) I want to be sure I am getting the hottest small diameter thrower available.

My questions are:

Does anyone have a picture comparing the MagHID to the MagCharger, both in focussed mode? Can anyone comment on the relative throw difference between the two from experience? Does anyone have actual lux measurements for the focussed beam hotspot at some consistent distance?

I am hoping that the MagHID can decently outperform the MagCharger in the throw department by at least 50%. I am looking for a strong throwing light in a compact standard D-cell barrel form, so the MagHID might be the best thing going.

Any input is appreciated.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagHID will definetly outthrow the Magcharger. Since the HID uses no filament, the light of the HID is brighter and more condensed causing SERIOUS throw.

Jeff

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Have you done the WA bulb upgrade ( 1160 swap-in ) on the MagCharger? many posts here about it.. I am presently waiting for a reflector and bulbs right now. Can't wait to see this, I read it gives 50% more . CHeap effective upgrade from what the posts say. Cheers ! :buddies:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't have pictures [no digital camera] or a lightmeter to test. But I do have the MagCharger and the MagHID built buy UFOKillerz & Waterfish.

Using the stock bulb with the MagCharger it puts out light in the amount as you stated, under 200 Lumens [factory claims 175]. The MagHID hovers around what is claimed to be 400-500 Lumens. Of course someone here may illuminate more on this. The MagHID is something to see and like XPitXBullX stated it has SERIOUS throw!

Just did it a few minutes ago but I don't think it's a fair comparison because of the stock bulb in the MagCharger. But why not? They both have good throwing performance but against the MagHID, it [MagCharger] tends to look more like a flood at the end of my street and towards the trees being lit up. While the MagHID has a tighter focus. Both are focused on their respective sweet hot-spot for throw in this instance.

I also had to do this with the SureFire M6 and the newly acquired Mag11.74. The SF.M6 can really illuminate brightly in a wide swathlike manner the palm tree and those other tall trees across the way. The Mag11.74 pretty close to it but seemed to have a tighter hotspot than the SF.M6 Again the MagHID is something to behold especially in the dark! Looks like a blue-ish lightsaber to say the least! Cool looking indeed. . .

Distance are roughly, well I don't know because I haven't got a range finder yet. But the trees are three (3) streets over! Yes they are that tall. The palm tree is three (3) houses down.

Hope this give you a glimpse—with words—into what you're seeking to secure. Enjoy!

jashhash

Enlightened
Yes the HID can throw vastly farther than any incandescent but it is also MUCH harder to center the arc to a reflectors focal point since the light emitting source is perhaps 10x more compact. 0.1 mm off center will have perhaps 30% less throw than if 0.05 mm off center.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Hands down the MagHID is the superior performer in throw. I can illuminate and identify targets more than 500 feet away with ease with the HID. Actually it is very easy and intuitive to focus the MagHID for max throw. Even without a wall as a reference the center spot takes on a massive intensity when the reflector is correctly focused on the arc, simply twist till you have a searing beam and you are done. Try identifying cars at lengths of more than a football field, piece of cake! Its utterly amazing in a less-than-2D form factor.

I have a real soft spot for the MagCharger, for it was one of these that made me a flashaholic way back in 1986. Its a tried and true design that responds very well to some simple, cheap mods. I remember thinking it was the brightest thing I had ever seen that could be hand-held, still only the Acro x990 has "WOW"ed me more than the old MC did. Although the MagHID has a WOW factor all its own.

Even pitted against a modified MC, the HID has distinct advantages, especially its monster near 2 hour runtime. The downsides are its startup time and lack of incan color friendliness. Also, have to admit that monster sear can also pick up a lot of glare (Tyndall effect) when used in fog, smoke, or haze. But sheer range is no contest at all, thats where (here's the pun) HID shines brightest. Having all that luminous intensity of the short arc concentrated in a tiny space is what makes it magical. Another thing: besides being focusable on-the-fly, the MagHID accepts any standard D Mag reflector and can change character dramatically with a change in texture, smooth giving a lighthouse beam effect. I'm itching to try the new Litho123 stippled design for a Surefire-ish HID beam. Should be interesting!

CTR

Newly Enlightened
AlanH said:
Steve,

Where do I find one of these Throw Monsters ?

Alan

Alan, the MagHID are custom made by some of the enthusiasts on here. Theres been several group buys for these torches in the past, have a look in the group buy section. If you've ever seen one of these in action, its no surprise why they can out throw most torches.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I believe they have the same HID bulb [10W Solarc(?)] nestled in the same size reflector and head—the Maglite's head. The only difference is on what type of reflector you'll be using. Other than that, the throw would be comparable.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
They all work the same. My MiniHID can out throw a Mag85 any day but the beam is MUCH tighter. PSM, you will be happy if you get one. They are really neet.:naughty:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
NikolaTesla said:
They all work the same. My MiniHID can out throw a Mag85 any day but the beam is MUCH tighter. PSM, you will be happy if you get one. They are really neet.:naughty:

Thanks NK, BTW off topic, I was watching PBS HD the other day about the man Nikola Tesla, it was very interesting what he did in niagra falls with generating AC current.

OK back on topic, I cant wait to get my MiniHID.

-PSM