UV leds and amber goggles.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do the goggles do for the UV light from the UV Led flashlights? Probably a dumb question but I have always wondered .

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
What do the goggles do for the UV light from the UV Led flashlights? Probably a dumb question but I have always wondered .

Amber goggles will block the violet (and ultraviolet) emitted by the UV light, but pass the longer wavelength light from items that fluoresce under UV light. Basically they are increasing the contrast between fluorescing and non-fluorescing items (and protecting your eyes to boot).

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:

Yellow glasses work well with UV, and orange glasses work well with blue. I believe red glasses work well with the 520+ nm green excitation wavelengths.

Many yellow and orange glasses, it seems, appear the same when viewed normally (or when mail ordered, heh heh). However, with the correct blocking (ie sharpest cutoff), the difference is night and day. A darkened room with a blue light, for example, and the correct orange glasses will appear dark. Your eyes will adjust -- an absolute minimun of emitted light should be visible. As your eyes adjust, you can see all sort of excitation in fibers, fluids, chemicals, etc. The same principal works with yellow glasses and UV, except you usually are viewing different things.

Cheers,
Piers