charging NiMH gumstick batts with AA charger?

Dan C

Enlightened
Perhaps the wrong forum, but I'll give it a shot. I just ordered a MiniDisc player that uses the gumstick form factor batteries. I saw online a GP charger for these batteries and it says it will also charge AA's. The obvious question is can I use one of my AA chargers to charge the 1400mAh gumsticks provided I can get them to fit? Thanks, I'd like to avoid having to buy yet another charger if I can.....Here is the GP charger in question, doesn't look like anything unusual.

http://shopping.microbattery.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.392/it.A/id.4585/.f

Dan C

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should work fine. Getting them to fit will be challenging since AA cells are only 50mm long.

tacoal

Newly Enlightened
It should OK. I once had a Toshiba's fast charger that could charger AA and this gumstick battery. both of two battery terminals on charger are connected directly.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, these batteries for my minidisc was yet another devious plot to suck me into buying another battery charger just for that purpose. Make sure you don't charge two different mAh rated batteries at the same time if it has two slots.

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
Bringing back from the dead :poke: this thread, I hold a question on those gumstick NiMh, Vapex NH-14WM flavors. I just found back 2 sticks I had forgotten and I have patiently cycled them on very low currents.
Now they are back from the dead :dedhorse: (as this thread), is there any reason to follow the strangely low current rating stamped onto them (145mA, literraly C/10) or can I charge them as a typical NiMH (i.e. close to their C rating) ?

I kinda guess this low rating is made because they were originally intended to be charge into the product they power (walkman, discman, minidiscman, etc) that don't have high power charging electronics, but want to check that with you first. So well, any reason prismatic NiMh can't be charged around 1C ?