COSTCO sells 15 million candle power for...

Robt

Newly Enlightened
At the huge "warehouse" like store "COSTCO" that I go to, I see a 15 million candle power light for $29.95. Never bought one yet. Didn't have a chance to read the box. I was shoppping with my girlfriend and she was in a hurry... Next time i go there, i'm gonna check it out..

I wonder if the guys here at the forum know about this huge /heavy duty monstrousity!?!?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe you'll find a number of threads on both the Costco 10 and 15 MCP spotlights, including some on modding them. They are a good price, I just can't think of a need for one.

Flakey

Enlightened
i picked one up for that price. the reason? FUN! duh! not every light needs a use. Its lots of fun to throw that lightsaber beam out there. good fun!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
They are a good price, I just can't think of a need for one.

I'm pretty much of the same thought. At best, I think I'd be inclined towards replacing the 130W bulb with a 55W if I were to use it anywhere around here.

Taylorf

Enlightened
I have their 10 and 15 million lights and they are awesome for the price. They arent the easiest to carry around because of their large size but they are still pretty sweet. I pretty much just mess around with them in my back yard.

carrot

Flashaholic
I've got one. It's fun, but not terribly practical for me. Probably the most light you can get for $30, too.

ledebuhr1

Newly Enlightened
About 20 minutes ago the Coast Guard helicopter flew over. Im not sure how high they fly but it isnt to high. The 15Mcp light lit the helicopter up. It glowed orange in the sky. Im sure they were wondering what that beam of light was doing shining on them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they were really wondering, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. They probably just dismissed it as a stupid prank, otherwise you would have had some company visiting soon after the occurance of the event.

ledebuhr1 said:
About 20 minutes ago the Coast Guard helicopter flew over. Im not sure how high they fly but it isnt to high. The 15Mcp light lit the helicopter up. It glowed orange in the sky. Im sure they were wondering what that beam of light was doing shining on them.

Newly Enlightened
I'm not the the type that usually makes a post like this, but as a pilot what you did by lighting up that aircraft was really ignorant... You're lucky you were not arrested...

ledebuhr1 said:

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
ledebuhr1 said:
What you did could be classified as a terrorist act.

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I live along the Gulf coast, and during hurricanes have found number of times that I wished I had a 15 million candle (or more) power searchlight - relative to house damage, falling trees, downed wires, etc. There's also quite a big gap betwenn the time all the damage is being done and the arrival of police or work crews to open up road and to reestablish power (recently we were out of electricty for almost 2 weeks).

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
ledebuhr1 said:

wow! you're lucky you didn't blind the pilots and cause them to loose their night vision. If they get disoriented in a helicopter it could get really dangerous really fast.

Zarniwoop

Newly Enlightened
I hated this light. I bought one of these 15 million candle power lights for $29.95. I took it home, charged it, and when it got dark I took it outside along with my old normal-sized rechargeable spotlight, one I probably bought at Costco a few years ago in the 1-2 million candle power range. I'll take a picture of it when I get home, it's like a gray aluminum body with a hard black plastic handle that forms a pistol grip and also goes up on the "top" of the light so you can carry it under-handed like a lantern... the rear of the light unscrews so you can get to the battery, which I use sometimes to inflate air mattresses in the tent instead of inflating them next to the car, with an pump that alligator-clips to a battery.

Anyway, the beam from my old spotlight is sort of more flat and wide shaped rather than perfectly round, but a very smooth beam and just what you want when you're looking for something. The beam from the 15 million candle power light was round, but horribly full of criss-cross shapes throughout the beam. When I compared the beams side-by-side, I couldn't tell a difference in brightness. I lit up houses, trees, and such as far away as I could. Because of the criss-cross shapes in the beam of the 15 million candle power light, my old smaller spotlight actually lit everything up better.
Edit: In this review of Kenshiro's, the "Wide Angle Shots" show the "Costco HID" with the nasty black criss-cross shapes I was talking about... So apparently I wasn't evaluating this light for pure Throw, and probably not at far enough distance to see it out-perform my smaller light.

It's possible I got a lemon 15-million light. Maybe others can comment on whether their beam is smooth or criss-crossed with black lines. I took it back the next day for a prompt refund. I have to say, given the size of the thing, even if it WAS better than my "normal" sized flashlight, I can't imagine devoting trunk space in my car to that huge monster.

After looking at Kenshiro's review pics, I can see where the 15-million light is better at NOT lighting up things close to you (flood), so if you're really only trying to spot things very far away it probably lives up to the task. My reason for owning a spotlight is to find something if it gets lost or to see something farther away than flashlights will reach, so I probably prefer a more floody light. If you're considering the 15-million light, make sure the size of it and the type of light it puts out actually meets your requirements.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Costco is closing out this light. Saw it at our local Costco, the one that appears to be the central dumping point for discontinued items, for $24.95 with the ill fated * on the rack tag indicating that the item will not be restocked.

Canuke

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Looks like Costco is closing out this light. Saw it at our local Costco, the one that appears to be the central dumping point for discontinued items, for $24.95 with the ill fated * on the rack tag indicating that the item will not be restocked.

I just got one two days ago at full price (in Westlake Village CA). Oh well, instead of complaining about my timing over five bucks, I should be glad I grabbed one at all now!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Items that are closed out or discontinued in one market doesn't always get discontinued in other markets. I have found some of the products that our local Costco stores stopped carrying years ago in Costco stores in other parts of the country. Perhaps those lights are not being discontinued in your area, or they're just a little slow in marking them down?

Canuke said:
I just got one two days ago at full price (in Westlake Village CA). Oh well, instead of complaining about my timing over five bucks, I should be glad I grabbed one at all now!

Canuke

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Items that are closed out or discontinued in one market doesn't always get discontinued in other markets. I have found some of the products that our local Costco stores stopped carrying years ago in Costco stores in other parts of the country. Perhaps those lights are not being discontinued in your area, or they're just a little slow in marking them down?

I just found out that the Fry's near me (Canoga Park and Burbank) are closing out their "Hummer" spotlights for $19.90; these are the 10 MCP Thors, rebranded. That's because they are about to bring in the Hummer rebranded 15MCP units (at about $50-60). They must be selling enough to be worth it, so you are probably right.

sizzlechest

Enlightened
Come on! These lights are incredible for $30!! I once saw a thread on this forum of a member who owns like 12 of them- makes for a great photo seeing all of them lightin' up the sky!

Very impractical, but funny and a must-have none the less.

*Retired*
My collection has grown since this time, but here you go...

thorch1.jpg

Streetlight bottom left:
thorch4.jpg

With a little bit of circuitry, the output can be impresive, giving you 2 to 3 times more light:
thorroa2.jpg