PayPal scam email versions? And a warning.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, is there a site somewhere that tracks different scam email versions? Just wondering since they appear to so many different varieties. I'm curious to see how many have been going around.

Oh yeah, the warning. I got a new kind of PayPal scam email today. The whole thing is _perfectly_ correct and legit looking, even down to my name as PayPal knows it (how'd they do that?). The link the email gives is also _perfect_, other than not being secure. Just for kicks I entered a completely bogus email and password and it produced a page asking for ATM numbers.

First one I've seen that had an actual name and a real-looking link that wasn't a redirect.

Lucero

Enlightened
It's entirely possible that you have a keylogger virus on your computer. Your info may have been recorded as you typed it in. I've received mannnnny types of PayPal phishing emails, but never has one addressed me by name or by screen name.

The "best" one I received was from "a potential eBay buyer". I don't recall the precise text used, but it appeared that this person wanted to buy something I had for sale. Truth be known: A legitimate eBay account had been pirated and was being used to send these messages. The next step was to login in order to respond to the emailed message. At that point, I knew not to click on the provided link. I always open a new window and log into a secure page with the yellow highlight and the locked icon in the lower right corner.

Also, I have a special name in my address book which I use to forward all suspicious emails. The name is really a group distribution which forwards to "fraud at ebay dot com" and "spoof at paypal dot com", etc.

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
Lucero said:
It's entirely possible that you have a keylogger virus on your computer. Your info may have been recorded as you typed it in. I've received mannnnny types of PayPal phishing emails, but never has one addressed me by name or by screen name.

The "best" one I received was from "a potential eBay buyer". I don't recall the precise text used, but it appeared that this person wanted to buy something I had for sale. Truth be known: A legitimate eBay account had been pirated and was being used to send these messages. The next step was to login in order to respond to the emailed message. At that point, I knew not to click on the provided link. I always open a new window and log into a secure page with the yellow highlight and the locked icon in the lower right corner.

Also, I have a special name in my address book which I use to forward all suspicious emails. The name is really a group distribution which forwards to "fraud at ebay dot com" and "spoof at paypal dot com", etc.

got that scam e-mail too. someone's account got pirated(i checked out the account and it was real) and sent me a message through e-mail. i almost opened it but realized i wasn't selling anything! i signed in with my own bookmarks and it turns out the e-mail was a fake since the same mesage did not appear in my ebay inbox

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Paypal settings are for only plain-text emails so if I get a fancy mail it's always a fake.

And the Firefox browser shows the scam link in the status bar just by hovering over their links. Scammers assume you use the default fancy html mail in Outlook and Internet Explorer, so why help them fool you?

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Yeah, last week I got a very slick looking one requesting me to login and "re-verify" my ebay info or my account might be suspended. The link it provided went to some bogus phishing website.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's anything on my end. I registered with PayPal many years ago and haven't typed in the info since then. Computer is always clean, frequently scanned, and usually a fresh install. Hardly ever use the PayPal account. No fishy activity, either.

All I can figure is that the name was picked up from an email sent to someone who bought from me or sold to me, but it's a mystery.