fastest road car in the world?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Actually, the Porsche Gt1 (3.6 liter twin turbo 6 cylinder) is faster. 7.25 seconds

mph-0-30,0-60,(0-100,)reaction time,0-100-0

Porsche 911 GT1:seconds- 2.03,3.82,(7.25),0.51,11.86

Prosche GT1 top speed- 235mph (378km/h)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:

The Veyron's power to weight ratio loses to the Atom, I wouldn't make such a definite statement :p

The Veyron is nowhere even close to the Caparo... it's 1001 bhp has to lug a 2 tonne weight. It is a more 'proper' and luxurious car, but since the Caparo is also classified as a road car, they can be compared in the same category.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Power to weight ratio doesn't matter that much when it comes to top speed. An F1 car's power to weight ratio is among the highest out there but it can still be out-run by some supercars due to the F1 car's aerodynamic priorities.

For outright top speed, it's hard to judge which car is fastest.The Veyron had to have its top speed electronically limited to 360 kph because if it went any faster, the tyres run the risk of exploding. The car is supposedly capable of 407 kph or 252 mph when special tyres are fitted.

Therefore, the top speed of these cars are now starting to be limited by tyres just like how F1 cars in the 1980 and 1990s were starting to be limited by the drivers driving them.

Delvance

Enlightened
Bugatti are working on an improved Veyron too...fair bit more power for even higher top speed. What Flea Bag said as well, for top speed, it's the hp/kw that matters, not so much the power to weight ratio (in context of a say Bugatti vs a high power to weight ratio car due to lightweight, not big power).

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Oh and there's also rumours of a newer street-legal version of the Porsche/Dauer 962 LM. I would love to see that! Meanwhile the Caparo T1 looks to be a fast car for the future especially with fuel emissions becoming a bigger and bigger concern these days.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, well I guess when I saw 'fastest' I immediately thought fastest accelerating... I guess for top speed the Veyron is theoretically the fastest, although to reach its top speed you need like a road that stretches from China to maybe USA, and probably a refuelling jet to follow along...hahah... :D

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Cool, but why the analogy to John Merrick? The John part wasn't cool. He wasn't an animal you know, he was a human being.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read about an electric 8-wheeled car that hits 240 MPH from I assume 8 hub motors (makes sense) it uses lithium-ion battery packs.

Now imagine those 8 hub motors bulked up a bit and using A123 Systems 3.35V high discharge (100C) safe nano-technology lithium-ion packs. The greatness of that system is more hub motors are added as needed to get the speed to screaming levels. Change those 8 hub motors to a company that Delco purchased a few years ago. 135 HP hub motors that are 95% efficient! Since it was a few years ago, those hub motors easily now put out 150 HP each. 1,200 HP from 8 wheels motivated by nano-tech lithium-ion packs would push it to around 275 to 300 MPH.

There is a guy that put eight 200HP Westinghouse brushed motors in a 73 Datsun and he drag races it. Does a quick charge between heats to the Hawker SLA cells with his battery trailer. Once he got done racing, he hitched his trailer up and drove home down the interstate.

Although million dollar cars are interesting, some guy racing a battery operated car and yanking the front wheels off the ground in a cloud of tire smoke is more interesting to me. Now to see if I can find that electric car (I think it is a sedan) 240 MPH would be a riot when they see the charging port leaving them in the dust.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Well, since we started the thread with Top Gear, it's only fair to mention that, yesterday, the new Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear spoiler added) posted the fastest ever lap time on their board, ahead of the Pagani Zonda F, Maserati MC12, Ferrari Enzo Ferrari, Ariel Atom, and Porsche Carrera GT.

Bugatti hasn't let them take the Veyron around their track yet, however.

Link added: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps.shtml

Last edited:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
The Veyron's power to weight ratio loses to the Atom, I wouldn't make such a definite statement :p

The Veyron is nowhere even close to the Caparo... it's 1001 bhp has to lug a 2 tonne weight. It is a more 'proper' and luxurious car, but since the Caparo is also classified as a road car, they can be compared in the same category.

Who cares...which do you think would get more attention lol Veyron hands down

drizzle

Enlightened
Wow! That Atom looks exciting and relatively affordable. I am selling my motorcycle and this is the type of car I would like to replace it with.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the veyron is a big fat supercar

weighs over 4000 pounds

the Caparo T1 would kill it on a track

it has 1/2 the horse power

less than 1/4 the weight

Last edited:

Solomon MK2

Newly Enlightened
I imagine that there is some modified Nissan Skyline GTR out there boasting 1500hp that could probably outrun the "veyron". I know it's ricey, but heck, it's prob'ly true.

The original question of the post was: "fastest road car in the world?". NOT "fastest production car in the world?". Those are two very different questions.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if ya ask me the most car for the buck is the vette.but i guess that not the point of the post lol.i like vette though