What is so special and How do I make one?

iam_dznutz

Newly Enlightened
What is so special about this light that makes it shine over a mile away. And second how can I make one or at least get the same green leds.
LOOK HERE
Thanks

Oh yeah, is this the same light can be used to stun potential hijackers like I saw on 20/20? So bright it penetrates the eyelids?

B@rt

Flashaholic
The add says:Visible over 1 Mile .
This means it can be seen over a mile away, not that it casts a beam that far...
rolleyes.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
Yeah, statements like that always bother me. They say nothing about the product, only about you, the prospective customer.

The moon can be seen over 250,000 miles away. It has no batteries and does not glow. So what?

Darell

Flashaholic
Grrr.

Same as a Photon, same as an Arc AAA. One mile visibility is what just about everybody says for a single 5mm LED driven hard. Here's how you make one: Buy a single LED (any size will work) and three 1.5V batteries. Hook everything up in series, set it on the ground and hike 1 mile away. Squint, and you should see it.

Get yourself a laser to actually SEE the dot that far.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Isn't it cool when members have cool Post counts? As I type this Darell is a 3737

Ok, anyway...

I'll second the get an Arc AAA comment...about the light on eBay there, Craig of the ledmuseum (I believe he sent you here?) reviewed one...and aparently he doesn't think it'll be visible from a mile away. So maybe those wern't his exact words, but you get the idea
wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I remember, Craig of LED Museum reviewed light in question and nearly pronounced it junk. I have other comments here in CPF and invariably they say junky light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these in red. It's four LED's are about equal to my 1 LED red Infinity with the black contact pad scraped off. You don't want one of these.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MarcV:
Yeah, statements like that always bother me. They say nothing about the product, only about you, the prospective customer.

The moon can be seen over 250,000 miles away. It has no batteries and does not glow. So what?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Reminds me of a story. An officer was being crossed examined during a trial, the arrest was for narcotics. The officer testifys that he observed the suspect make a narcotics transaction at night. The suspect's attorney questions the officer "Just how far can you see at night?" The officer thinks for a moment and replies "I can see the moon, How far is that?"
tongue.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Buy an EMPOWERTORCH BT4/G...
This will give you 32000 mcd of green light!

Alternatively you can buy the LED's yourself and incorporate thm into your own torch. Maplin Part No NR86T is what I've used in my green light torches. www.maplin.co.uk
There are various people selling large numbers of green LED's on the Buy/Sell/Trade.