poor man's G2

mossyone

Newly Enlightened
I was at wal-mart and had read earlier on a different forum of a mod on a 84cent flashlight so decided to play with it.

Total cost: flashlight 89 cents, 6volt bulb (had a krypton bulb), 2 used 123's...

so for 89cents it kinda looks like a G2 but the output is a lot less but its about twice as much as my e1e. Has a great beam that is similiar to my surefires and should get great runtime.

The 84 cent flashlight is black bodied and comes with 2 aa batterys. To dropin the 123's the head must be removed as they will not fit thru the tailcap. right now I am useing about a 1 inch spacer but I might cut the body down and glue on the tail-cap as the batterys have to go thru the head.

I don't think heat will be aproblem as out-put is about 20-25 lumens.

If nothing else I can throw it in the glove-box and forget it - until I need it!

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
hmm.. the pictures arent showing up on my computer... odd... you DID post pictures, right?:whistle:

EDIT : oh yeah, i forgot, a big WELCOME to CPF!!!

Illum

Flashaholic
Can't beat 89 cents no matter what light it is, but the 123As would cost you at least $2 [battery station]

well, a similar flashlight that is on par with the G2 would be the Brinkmann Maxfire...

its only about $20 in wal-mart compared to the G2 its $16 cheaper, and since your there to buy the light [from wal-mart] theres no shipping to pay.

Compare these two lights
the SF G2
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm
and
the Brinkmann Maxfire LX
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might also want to take a look at the new Pelican PM6 3320 as an alternative to the Brinkmann. They're going in the $20 neighborhood as well, though the drawback for some is that they do use a lamp assembly that costs a bit more to replace than just a bulb.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking along these lines as well. The "old model" 84 cent light was great because it's design: 1) holds CR123s and 2) is easy to shorten (not true with other plastic lights). The catch is how long the light can be run at this power level before it melts inside. I've heard reports of from 1 minute (for an undefined cheap plastic light) to 1 hour (for a PT-20 running 2 AA Li-ions and a 5 cell maglite white star bulb).

I'm trying to figure ways to get the 84 cent light to survive closer to the high end than the low end. Still TBD...

By the way, people are having a hard time finding those "old model" 84 cent Walmart lights as Walmart is apparently phasing them out. If you can get them, you might want to lay in a supply as they do make especially good hosts for a number of mods.

Welcome to CPF mossyone.