G2 build

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20190322-161300.jpg

Both of these have nitrolon heads and glass lenses.
Top is a G2L. Bottom, an incan from circa 2014.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@thermal guy, I have a very old Black G2 Nitrolon that I still use to this day where the plastic lens was pressed fit, I ran it with LF IMR-9 with 2xIMR16340 for a while but due to too short a runtime (~8 minutes, and frequent recharge), I switch to the LF HO-9 bulb with the same 2xIMR16340 and enjoy ~30 minutes of runtime. No issue so far (I only run continuous 3-5 minutes at times) and the lens has held up well, unlike other plastic lights from Eveready or Energizer, I melted those when switching to a 9V bulb... :D

Edit: in terms of throws, you may also want to try SF P91 or SF P90, SF P91 out-throws the LF HO-9 while SF P90 is about the same as LF HO-9 to my eyes.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I thought I read something about not a good idea to run the p91 in this format. Can't remember what it was tho.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya know I think it was that you couldn't use protected cells with it Think the draw trips the safety's.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I thought I read something about not a good idea to run the p91 in this format. Can't remember what it was tho.
I ran P91 in my G2 briefly (i think a few days) before switching to the IMR-9 which later switched to HO-9. Now only run P91 in G3 and C3 with 2x17500. You can order spare UCL lens for your G2 from LF too. I ordered from Flashlightlens when I started out (also bought some from Illumination Supply, Craig) not knowing that I can't and don't know how to replace my old G2 lens... newer version of G2 bezel uses the screw on bezel ring to retain the lens in place. Also, I ordered the wrong lens, it's too thick... probably meant for 6P :oops:
I think I made quite a fair bit of mistakes playing lego with SureFire products, the most silly mistake I made was ordering half a dozen Solarforce bezel ring and found out it doesn't fit my 6P nor C2... :ohgeez:

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
This seems like a good thread to ask this question. I have a tan G2 and the Lexan lens is scratched. I want to replace it with a glass lens. Can anyone point me to a good source for lenses and GITD o-rings?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok seems to be split answers on this question but can i run a p90 off of 2 protected 16340's or will the draw trip the protection Circuits?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this thread....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...1970364&highlight=trip+protection#post1970364

The P90 draws 9 watts and the P91 20 watts.
At 7.4 volts the p90 will use 1.2 amps and the P91 2.75 amps.

I'm not very up on protection circuits so you'll have to find out where your favourite cell trips.

Foursevens made a High Discharge RCR123 which trips at 2.75 amps....
https://darksucks.com/collections/batteries/products/rcr123a-high-discharge-rate

Good luck with the search.

P

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Good spot! Is there any way to get the press fit ones out?
P

I've replaced melted lenses in press fit heads, the trouble is not getting the old lens out, it is getting the new one in without damaging it. I've only done plastic to plastic swaps, would glass break trying to press in?

P220C

Newly Enlightened
I've run the P-90 off two AW protected RCR and also on two AW 16650. Works a champ. Higher drain cells might be able to push harder and bump up against the trip.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard the trick is to put the lense on the bezel then lay some cloth like a shirt on top of it. Then take a dime and work your way around the edges on top of the cloth. Probably don't use that much pressure or get that close to the edge. It should pop in all the way around.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have heard the trick is to put the lense on the bezel then lay some cloth like a shirt on top of it. Then take a dime and work your way around the edges on top of the cloth. Probably don't use that much pressure or get that close to the edge. It should pop in all the way around.

And that will prevent the protection Circuit from kicking in?😂😂