Spyderco Spyderwrench

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can any one give me any info or hands on info about these?
have one comming int he mail and my searches show limited info since, I guess, they are out of production for a few years now.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a few from the guy who designed them. He finishes up individual pieces in his shop, but told me that they are looking for a place to produce/manufacture them on a larger scale. Most likely outside of the US. Mine came with instructions, and such, but no boxes.

What kind of information were you looking for on them (specs, steel type)? I love mine and carry it daily. I carry the plain edge, and keep a serrated one in the safe. It performs many duties that another multi-tool might not, but falls short in some areas. I carry the Spyderench by itself mostly, but if I need a "full range" of tools, it is accompanied by a SOG Powerlock.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want to know whatever I can about it. I remember when they were sold a few years back, but never had one and know not a thing about it.
Some searches on Google turned up the fact that it consists of two sections that can taken apart(?).
like I said, am curious about it and will have no manual, receiving it as is w/ no packaging.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few crummy pictures I took with my phonecam of different angles and positions of the Spyderench. It can be separated into two pieces, or locked open to give extra leverage. The bit slot is in the end of the piece with the blade. When separated, the screwdriver/knife can be utilized with the crescent wrench at the same time. The extended bit has a three sided (flat, concave, convex) file (diamond dust) with a flat and philips head at each end. I have limited/sporadic access to a copying machine, but if you like, I will try to copy the manual for you and can send it to you. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. The manual has some useful info on proper insertion of the extended bit for lockdown of the tool. I'll try to post it word-for-word when I get a little more time.

spyderench1.jpg

spyderench2.jpg

spyderench3.jpg

spyderench4.jpg

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco is coming out with a new version, but no release date has been set, at least as of a month or two ago.
Bladeforums has a Spyderco section, and Spyderco itself has forums, if you get the "bug" to keep up with them.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgo, thanks for the pics.
Man I would really appreciate a copy of that manual if you get around to it.

Could you tell mewhat metal the knife blade is made of? Is it as easy to open as a standard Spydie?

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
The blade is 440C, and SHARP! Very easy to open utilizing the extra-large spyderco hole in the top of the blade. In my opinion, it opens as easy as my A.T.R. Let me know for sure if yours doesn't come with any instructions when you receive it, and I'll copy that thing for you when I get the chance. Also, it's easier when you have it in hand when referencing it, but if you have any specific questions when you get it, feel free to contact me and I'll help you out any way I can.:)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like everything about mine except the weight. It's a heavy little sucker. Now, if they could just make a titanium version, that would be perfect.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
JimH said:
I like everything about mine except the weight. It's a heavy little sucker. Now, if they could just make a titanium version, that would be perfect.

Yeah, really. They are heavy. Maybe a Spyderench Elite made of Titanium with S30V or Talonite blade:naughty: :laughing:

PolishSumgai

Newly Enlightened
SpydeRench Information - just "GOOGLE" SpydeRench for more information. I use the referenced site when ever anyone wants information or they buy a SpydeRench from me.

Since they were introduced I have had 10 or 12 of them, all of which have been sold, the last on being 8/25/06 for over $200. It was serial #114 and had the instruction sheet included in the box. This was the only one that had an instruction sheet and as I stated in my eBay posting the instruction sheets are harder to find than the multitools.

The tool has a good selection of feature but I find my SOG Powerlock S-60 for $50 ( eBay price ) to be a better all around multitool - made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.

Enjoy your SpydeRench.

I guarantee when Spyderco releases the new version I will probably buy a couple dozen and just put them in the closet and just let them appreciate. Based on the last model issues in 2000 and sold last week ( 6 years ) $150 profit is a good return on your money!!! I guess that is true with any Spyderco knife - once they stop production of a model that model starts appreciating in price almost immediately- like the Calypso, Dyad, Matriach, etc.

Last edited:

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
The designer told me awhile back that they were looking for outside USA production (more cost efficient). Looks as if the only differences are that the blade steel changed from 440C to AUS-8, and the USA stamped in the handle.

Webley:
Got the paracord monkeyfists and lanyard pull today. Too cool! Very nice work, and very much appreciated:)