KPR103 Mag mod = scalding batteries?

aares

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have been a long time viewer and this is my first time posting.

Well, I wanted to do a quick mod to my 3D Mag, so I went and bought a KPR103 Krypton bulb from Radio Shack. Came home, took 4C batteries and wrapped them with duct tape. I put some foil at the top battery so it would make contact with the spring in the flashlight. Put the new bulb in and it fired up perfectly and it was a good deal brighter and whiter than the stock Mag.

I took it upstairs with me, started my computer and I noticed the end of the Mag where you put the batteries in was warm. I took the batteries out, and the first C battery, touching the negative on the rear spring, was scalding hot and I couldnt hold it or it would burn me. The other batteries were not even warm. Anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Sure sounds that cell was shorting out. Better double check how your pack was assembled. (You may have put the cell in reversed, but then your light would not have very bright).

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Agree with ELM. It sure sounds like a short...only way i can think of for the battery to get scalding hot while the light was off. Unwrap the pack and make sure there's nothing shorting that cell out...might be a good idea to replace it too. And welcome to CPF!

aares

Newly Enlightened
Ok...well I let the one crazy hot batt cool down which took forever, and I "re-packed" the batteries this time with electrical tape after I checked the voltages of the batteries. Everything works great now! It was my first mod, but I already ordered a bunch of CR123's to make a Mag 2C. Thanks for the help!