18650 is this normal

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I have recently been carrying a Light with a protected 18650 and on work nights I carry and extra battery in the coin pocket of my jeans. I will generally use the light quite a bit in the course of my shift and generally charge it every other night unless I know that I used it more than normal. Actually I don't don't charge the same battery ever other night I rotate them, but that's not important.

Here is my question....

For some reason I got the idea to take the "fresh" battery out of my pocket and stick it in the DSD charger tonight. After carrying the battery in my pocket for one day it took about 17 minutes for the red light on the charger to turn green. Is this normal?

g36pilot

Enlightened
Yes, your fully charged spare lost very little capacity during that time. The DSD properly noted a full state and terminated the charge.

Basically, your battery received a "top off charge".

Mikeg23

Enlightened
g36pilot said:
Yes, your fully charged spare lost very little capacity during that time. The DSD properly noted a full state and terminated the charge.

Basically, your battery received a "top off charge".

yea, I just figured the light should turn green quicker than that with what should be a fully charged battery. I've read that Lithium Ions have a slow discharge rate when stored.

Another reason I wondered is that with my Strion if I let it sit for a day and throw it back on the charger it only takes minute or two to say that it is fully charged.

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
savumaki said:
:sssh: must be a big coin pocket :laughing:

With the battery in my fifth pocket and my pocket knife in the regular pocket it's kind of a tight fit to get my hand in there to retreive my keys.

g36pilot

Enlightened
Another FWIW- From my limited experience and reads on CPF.

Individual yet same production batch batteries can have minor variances in their performance. It also takes a few charge/discharge cycles to fully develop max battery capacity. You may be experiencing these differences as they work up to their full potential at different rates.