Most Powerful Green Laser for under $750

Nautilus

Newly Enlightened
With different sellers measuring powers differently, I am not able to discern which laser I should buy.....maybe someone can help me. I want a high quality handheld green laser in the 150-300MW range and I would prefer not to spend any more than $500. I realize this might not get me the best lazer but its all I can spend. It would be nice if the lazer was small enough to fit in my pocket or be mounted to a weapon but this is not neccessary. Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Re: Most Powerful Green Lazer for under $500

:hahaha:
instinct said:
laser*

sorry.. but that really bothers me.

I'm not sure if they make anything that powerful to mount on a weapon... and that is small... :thinking:

jkaiser3000

Enlightened

mounting such a powerful laser to a gun is not wise at all, in my opinion. If you do, you probably wouldn't need the gun in the first place, as you'll certainly blind the poor ******* at the other end, no bullets fired :ohgeez:.

As for them being small enough to fit in a pocket, I also don't think that to be available, although you could find some small enough to hand carry, maybe stick a bit out of the pocket. Then again, doing that is also not wise, as dirt can get to the lens, and vibrations can missalign the optics.

Models to look for are PGL-III, Aries and wickedlasers, among others. Not sure about the prices though.

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened

The 125mW WL lasers are about the best you're gunna do IMO for purely green output. The 150mW PGL-III/Aries laser is on sale right now at a very good price, but it would still cost you around $700 for one. Either that, or on the lower end you could try a 95mW laser from dragonlasers, but I wouldn't suggest taking your chances with one of those 125mWs. Good luck.

Bill Henry

Newly Enlightened

A weapons mounted high powered laser in the field can serve a number of extremely important tasks. In a fire fight with an enemy firestation at 700 to 1500 meters or more, an extremely powerful green laser can not only pin point the site for return fire from the rest of the squad (or mortars) with a quick blink of the beam, but it can also temp impair the bad guys with the light shock (prolonged exposure)..

I really do not care if they are blind or not - in fact, sicne they are shooting at me, they need to be removed from God's earth since I believe we are the good guys. At 300mW, however, the issue of 'blinding youself' comes into play. Need to have correct eye protection if this technique is employed. Using high powered IR lasers (if every one has NV that works - and many do not) a fireteam can engage with surprise about 90% of the time in most regions of conflict. Problem is that replacement parts and complete units are sometimes long in coming - been trying to find a unit for myself around here and other forums before I go back that I can afford. this is a tough thing for most soldiers. I am still looking.

The Green laser at $250 (low end 90 mw version) can help. But the big boys at 250 - 300mW's are a real life saver many,many times

If you are needing to ID a target for air support with no communications (and this happens more than you might think), a green laser can pin point a target with a blip, and air support can make a run knowing where the laser came from and the target the laser was hitting. Keeps 500 pound bombs off family and friend heads.

I understand the need for one, as I have a 90 - 100mW that I am trying to trade up with it. have heard that it makes you "stand out," and it does if you are not aware of your surroundings and the field conditions. Knowing what is happening around you in the "fog of war" can save your life with tools like the high powered laser.

Sometimes, the folks on the ground have to make due with what they have. I wish I could say that all soldiers are outfitted with everthing they need by our country, but it just is not so all of the time. I praise the supply folks - they are wonderful. However, NV, lasers, SP ammo, new(er) firearms, and many other items that keep us alive are not handed around like candy we give to the kids.

don't knock it until you have tried it!

Bill Herny

Last edited:

Nautilus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Most Powerful Green Laser for under $500

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the misspelling, if it matters. What I would like is something designed like the Spyder line from Wicked Lasers with a better price. From all Im seeing from different sellers, I would prefer something that AVERAGES around 200-250mw rather than max out at 200-250mw. For now, only Wicked Lasers discloses that their power measurements are based on AVERAGE power which is what I want. I was just hoping you guys knew of some other reputable sellers that don't mislead with max-power ratings. Forget the pocket and weapon sight request, it would've just been a bonus but since you indicate it doesn't really exist, I don't need it. Right now that laser the fits my bill is the Syder250mw but its at least $6-700 higher than I'd like to spend. I've found several sellers in the UK that advertise lasers that would work for me but I can't get a response from any of them. If you suggest something for me, please provide contact info if not a website.....I would certainly appreciate it as I do all the replies....thank you!

Let's up the range a little, I can spend $750 if the laser is worth it....thanks!

Last edited:

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened

Big difference between if you're looking into a portable or non portable laser. With a portable, as much as you would like a 200-250mw average, you would unfortunately have to up your budget to get it. If the 100-175mW range might satisfy you, feel free to send me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I can try to help you out.

Nautilus

Newly Enlightened

Thanks again for the replies. I definitely want a portable laser but it doesn't have to be pocketable. I like the design of the Spyder line. After reading Mr. Henry's response, can a high powered laser hurt your eyes if you don't shine it in your eyes? Can using it normally do any damage? If so, I may want something under 200mw. I want to be able to visibly see the beam for a great distance as well as light cigars or matches and the like. pseudonomen, what kind of housing do your lasers sport? I really don't want the pen type...something that looks more like a flashlight....a small one.

Last edited:

Aseras

Enlightened
If you just need an IR laser you can pull the crystal out of any DPSS laser and you have a 2-4X stronger IR laser. the spyders use a 1 watt diode and the rpl or hercules use 2.5 watt diodes. if you took out the crystal set you'd output 600mw or much more of IR. colliminating it would be tough though. very dangerous. if you hit something reflective ( ir can reflect off of thing that regular light does not ) you'd risk your eyes and everyone else's around you without protection.

otoh, the bad guys would never see it coming.

any high powered laser can hurt your eyes, quicker than you can blink you can go blind. if you hit something reflective and catch the beam you can go blind. the higher the power laser you operate the more indirect laser light can make it back to your eyes if you get a reflection.

keep in mind that to double the brightness you have to have 4 times the mw output. a 200mw isn't twice as bright as a 100 mw. a 400 mw is twice as bright.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Aseras said:
If you just need an IR laser you can pull the crystal out of any DPSS laser and you have a 2-4X stronger IR laser. the spyders use a 1 watt diode and the rpl or hercules use 2.5 watt diodes. if you took out the crystal set you'd output 600mw or much more of IR. colliminating it would be tough though. very dangerous. if you hit something reflective ( ir can reflect off of thing that regular light does not ) you'd risk your eyes and everyone else's around you without protection.

otoh, the bad guys would never see it coming.

any high powered laser can hurt your eyes, quicker than you can blink you can go blind. if you hit something reflective and catch the beam you can go blind. the higher the power laser you operate the more indirect laser light can make it back to your eyes if you get a reflection.

keep in mind that to double the brightness you have to have 4 times the mw output. a 200mw isn't twice as bright as a 100 mw. a 400 mw is twice as bright.

Hi Aseras,

Just to correct, the Hercules does not use a 2.5Watt diode, they have a 2.0Watt diode. My RPL series lasers are the only handheld portable lasers that use a 2.5 Watt diode as far as I know. The RPL also has the lowest divergence currently available in a high powered handheld as well.

Jack

Chief117

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if I am wrong here, but it affects it because it is an IR diode and converting that to green is not so easy. The light has to be put through a series of crystals. Sometimes you will see a high output laser with a small diode. This is usually a sign that the laser is being "over driven" which basically means the amount of power that is being pushed through the diode to attain that output power is too high for the diode itself. I would say that the very best of lasers only have about 1/4th final output power as the output power of the diode itself. For instance, an efficient laser would have 200-250mW off of a 1W diode. By using a bigger diode, it doesnt need to be over driven to attain the desired output power. For instance, a 2W diode laser with 300mW of power will probably last alot longer than a laser using a 1W diode at the same final output. Over driving the diode is extremely bad for it, can cause instability, and will shorten the lifespan of the laser.

Dont be TOO skeptical though, some of it depends on the quality of the crystals inside of the laser. A laser with a 500mW diode putting out 125mW of green might just have very high quality crystals, its hard to tell.

just my 2 cents.

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Nautilus said:
sorry for being ignorant but how does the Diode size/wattage affect the laser? Jack, those aren't bad prices....I'm interested.

Hi Nautilus,
Chief117 is pretty much on target. The smaller diodes have to be overdriven to provide the IR power needed to produce the higher output power levels. His number of 1/4th the final ouput level are in line too.

The crystal quality and size are very important too, in fact just as important as the diode is. If you use a low quality crystal, it won't matter if you have a 3watt diode, it just can't produce the expected output of 532nm.

The crystal needs to be of high enough quality/purity as well as size, so that it can handle the heat being directed at it from the diode.

Jack

Athoul

Enlightened
Also saturation. If the ND crystal is too small to accomodate the pump energy, it will saturate and not be able to make any use of the energy beyond that point. The additional energy will get wasted as heat. For optimal output it takes a balance of pump energy and crystal size/effiiciency.

jtice

Flashaholic
Dont be afraid to deal with Jack,
he is really helpful, and the lasers are top notch.

I have a PPL-125 and love it.
http://www.jtice.com/blogs/ppl-125_laser_8-19-06/

BTW, dont go strapping a laser to a gun, its just not gonna work.
They just arent made to handle that kinda shock, especially green lasers.
There are only a couple green lasers for guns, and they are $$$$$$$$$$

~John

ted_park

Newly Enlightened