Need some reviews please

Heck

Enlightened
Hey there, I'm fairly new to the world of flashlights. Anyway, I do some patrols around my Unviersity's campuses, I already get issued a 4C maglite c-cell. However I want a smaller light for my personal use and to bring along while patrolling so I can give my partner the Maglite to carry instead of me carrying that bulky thing.....I've found a few interesting flashlights, I'd like to get some information about the Streamlight Scorpion, Streamlight ProPolymer 3C Police, Streamlight Stinger HP and lastly, the Surefire 6P. Now I'm very close to ordering the 6P, but I'd just wanna learn more about the other ones first since I do know the 6P costs quite expensive to operate. While patrolling I hit alleys and stuff, so I'm not exactly turning it on, but shooting bursts of light to see stuff..which would mean a 6P is perfect, but as this isn't exactly my "work", I'm debating if I should be going throuhg lithiums every 1 hour of light with the 6P...thus i'm considering the Propolymer 3C a lot and the other 2 mentioned I've been eyeing too. So what do you guys think? what's a better deal for me? keep in mind I'm already biased for the 6P hehe........sorry for the long post and thank you for your time!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Herky,
For your job, I would get the SL 3C poly. It has a long reach & I assume your employer will furnish the C cells. Don't get the police model. You loose the clip & that's one of the handiest things about it. You can clip it to your pants pocket, & when you're walking, you'ld think it was tied to your leg. Doesn't swing at all.

Now for your backup, when you need something bright, get the G2. Later on, you can make it a G3, & later still, convert to turbo. (could even go rechargeable) TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was at the shop today playing with HP, and was really impressed. Small, powerful, very cool clicking bezel(beam size control), charger with room for the second batt. Beam is very high Q. I would get one today, but they only had a demo left over. The guy told me he sold about 30 in one week.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

kick my ***.... get 6P also. And M3. And E2e. And M6. And M2. etc............
[Moderator Edit: "Consider it kicked." Al
wink.gif
]

RevJim

Newly Enlightened
I was able to buy a Surefire 8X with dual charger and battery for under $60. It's a strong, fairly small light with plenty of kick! It is an older model of a light setup that is now well over $100. You might want to email these folks and see if they would tell you more about the condition of a particular light for you. Mine was still in the plastic, never used. They warn that some were engraved. The site is for 911surplus at http://www.911surplus.com/products/SF8XAC.html . It sounds like you are on the right track, whichever light you end up buying...as your first of many flashlight purchases.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I would get the D2 in black. It has the clip and if you get the rechargable upgrade later it comes in black. You can also use the P61 hi output lamp. Personally I would use the E2, but you have no option to make that rechargable, yet...

Heck

Enlightened
Hey thanks for the quick replies guys. So now I'm pretty much down to the Surefire 6P or Streamlight Propolymer 3C. Can somebody help me compare the 2? I'm pretty sure the 6P is much brighter and has more reach, but how much is the question......I like lighting everything up, does that means a 6P is the way to go? or does the Streamlight 3C suprisingly shoot some good light too..since streamlight does surprises me from time to time.....

Lonewolf

Enlightened
Herky get the D2 or 6P and an A19 which turns your 6 volt into a 9 volt you get maximum flexibility for the cost of an A19 adapter.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Herky,

5BY5 uses big words that are wise. Jeff understands the meaning of these words and agrees with 5BY5.

Jeff would add that with the 6P/D2 you can purchase the optional recharging kit if your Li habit costs too much.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C Poly SL is a much tighter beam than the SF. The 6P would be a flood light compared to the 3C. TX

Heck

Enlightened
heh, so it's still split, but thanks for the inputs once again. I don't want to start a Streamlight vs. SureFire war but how about that Streamlight Scorpion? i've heard it's just as bright as the P60, but on their site it's rated at 6500CP while the 3C is 12000CP....but I have a feeling the scorpion is much brighter than the 3C, anyone know about this? and about the scorpion as bright as the P60?

Brock

Flashaholic
I wouldn't call the 6P a flood by any stretch. But the 3C is an extremely tight beam. Also, the 3C doesn't spill much light to the side. So imagine walking in a dark alley, the only thing you can see with the 3 C is what's in the spot of light. With the 6P you can see what's in the spot and still see enough to walk forward without moving the beam to your feet. Does that make sense? Now if you only want to light it a tiny spot the 3 C is the way to go. Also the 3C is about 2.5 times heavier the 6P.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,
When I said the 6P was a "flood light", I specified "compared to the SL 3C". On a side by side, I'ld still call the 6P a "flood". My original suggestion was to get the 3C and a G2. You have your long reach & your brighter "close up" light for the price of a 6P. TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I wouldn't call the 6P a flood by any stretch. But the 3C is an extremely tight beam. Also, the 3C doesn't spill much light to the side. So imagine walking in a dark alley, the only thing you can see with the 3 C is what's in the spot of light. With the 6P you can see what's in the spot and still see enough to walk forward without moving the beam to your feet. Does that make sense? Now if you only want to light it a tiny spot the 3 C is the way to go. Also the 3C is about 2.5 times heavier the 6P.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Herky,

I agree with 5BY5 and Brock.

I gave my SL 3C to a friend because I was disappointed with its performance both in terms of brightness and beam quality. I have absolutely nothing against Streamlights in general, and I own and respect some of their lights.

The great advantage of Surefire aside from extraordinary mechanical quality and reliability is:

1) Beam DESIGN which, aside from faceted reflector quality (which is now emulated by some other manufacturers) is cunningly formulated to give the most functional combination of central beam intensity and diameter, along with peripheral spill, combined with a carefully calculated compromise between spot and flood.

2) Unprecedented interchangeability and flexibility of design enables you to combine and put together your own "individualized" light using connection options. (Though it's true that Streamlight has started down this road also, but this isn't applicable to the 3C)

There is a non-Surefire 2 x 123 light that might be appropriate to your needs in terms of unusually long throw along with fairly decent peripheral illumination. It is the ASP Triad (originally the "Taclite") which is the longest-throw non turbohead 2 x 123 currently available. It has a "set-and-forget" internal focusing mechanism that enables you to get a beam that projects much further and stronger than any other comparable light. Note however that it accomplishes this through a somewhat smaller diameter beam (which NTL retains a functional peripheral.) The light is about the same size and weightas the SF 6P, and is owned by relatively few flashaholics. It's my favorite 2 x 123 and is also carried by one of CPF's senior security people. (I own most of the others, and I love my SF 2 x 123's but this blows them away in terms of beam throw). The light is quite inexpensive

www.tannersstorefront.com

Sorry I got on my ASP soapbox. I just thought it might be good for your specific needs.

NOTE: Any of the Surefires mentioned in this thread are excellent, but IMO the E2, though a wonderful little light, would not be adequate for your purposes. It has a relatively weak beam because of its unusually wide dispersion angle. This is fine for use as a general utility light, but not as a strong probing light.

When it comes to rechargeables, others on this board are more knowledgeable than I am.

Good luck and

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Brock

Flashaholic
txwest, I know what you are saying. I was just thinking out loud. It is a flood compared to the 3C. I in no way meant to say you were wrong, I agree with your statement
smile.gif

bkral

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the PT Surge. Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, brighter than a 6P w/P60, 1.5-2hr run time, uses cheap AA batteries, works great with rechargables, has a momentary position on the switch, is completely waterproof, and fits student budgets at under $30. Given the fact that it's so cheap and uses ordinary batteries, I would buy this one first. If you like the output, you can always get a 2 cell Surefire once you have a real job and can put the Surge in the glove compartment for emergencies. If you find it doesn't have quite the reach you want - well, it's was cheap and you will still have some money left to put toward an Ultrastinger or M3T.

-BCK

Heck

Enlightened
Once again I thank you guys for your knowledge and information....especially brightnorm for that big post......so I've finally decided on the 6P even though I'll be buying lithiums like mad...come to think of it...I'm basically paying my flashlight minimum wage per hour heh.......I can find lithiums for about $10 Canadian for 2 here...so it's not as bad as I previously thought as I saw people here paying like $14USD for 2....which scared me initally. I don't want the E2 as I want a beam that has little flood so I know what's in front of me but has good reach so I can light things up from far away like dumpsters and stuff......so 6P is the way, and when I save up enough..I might even give the 8X a try heh...I think the SureFire bug is already biting me ......now I just need to know where is the cheapest price possible to get a 6P, I need the cheapest since factoring in shipping and customs and exchange....a buck difference in price can mean a few bucks saving for me here......anyone know where to go? I've heard of botach ..they got good prices but heard they aren't reliable.....I've checked arizonagunners and also tanners, and I've found a few yahoo shopping ones that had it for about $59.99...and ebay seems to be a buy it now for that much too I think...anyway..what do u guys think?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw one go on ebay this week for $51. Then they wanted another $10 for shipping. TX

bwcaw

Enlightened
The sl 3c is a nice light but it is not anywhere near as bright as a 6p and it is WAY bigger than it.But if you got a sl you could buy some WriteRight stuff to put on the lens ,i guess it really smooths out the beam. If i were you i would not eat for a month or so and then go buy a surefire M2.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif