Smallest & lightest SF Turbohead combo that equals or surpasses US?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I love my US but find its length encumbering. I have a 6P and a 9P (both with HOLA's and I have a turbohead that will fit either one. Does anyone know what would be the smallest (shortest) and lightest SF Turbo combo that would equal or beat the US (even for 10 or 15 minutes)?

I don't mind buying stuff as long as it will achieve this goal.

Thanks for any ideas/info

Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN,
To equal, the 9PT with the N2. To surpass, use the MN16. The US is a little tighter beam, but what you can see isn't different with the N2. Of course the MN16 @ 225 lumen is brighter. I am VERY impressed with the KT2/N2 for brightness + burn time. Great beam too. TX

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
BN,
To equal, the 9PT with the N2. To surpass, use the MN16. The US is a little tighter beam, but what you can see isn't different with the N2. Of course the MN16 @ 225 lumen is brighter. I am VERY impressed with the KT2/N2 for brightness + burn time. Great beam too. TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More details tx,
How does the KT2 with N2 compare to MN15 & MN16?

Obviously the MN16 is brighter but how much difference is there?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
...I now have a 9P/2.5"Turbohead. The bright spot is approximately 4X bigger than the US'. This SF combo has ~30% longer throw that the 9P and M3.
I guess it must be a difference in lights. I would judge my KT2 & M3T to be only slightly larger at the centerspot than my US.(maybe 10%) As far as brightness...maybe the US needed chargeing. I stuck it in the charger & will check it out again tomorrow night.

This comparison is analogous to the M2/P61 vice the ASP Triad; more light/larger hot spot/good 'throw' vice lesser light/much sharper hot spot/much longer 'throw.' You know how I feel about the Triad.
Once again, a difference in lights. My Triad is not really much tighter than my G2 or M2..

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Very broad topic here. Let's narrow it a bit. Respective of 'throw,' there is no Surefire that can equal the Ultrastinger. I have said previously that the M6 or 10X are broadswords while the Ultrastinger is a saber.

Regarding narrowest 'hot spot,' well, again, no Surefire can match the svelt US. We did some rough testing with the 10X and US. The 10 will provide more light but the US can concentrate a lower overall output into a tighter spot.

I now have a 9P/2.5"Turbohead. The bright spot is approximately 4X bigger than the US'. This SF combo has ~30% longer throw that the 9P and M3.

This comparison is analogous to the M2/P61 vice the ASP Triad; more light/larger hot spot/good 'throw' vice lesser light/much sharper hot spot/much longer 'throw.' You know how I feel about the Triad.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How well does the US "focus" adjust? Can it be effectively focused to wide angle flood for use indoors or close quarters? (Without the "Maglite" ring effect)

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest, I agree with Kogatana. My US outthrow 10X, M6 and M3. I don't have M3T though.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allen,
The only SF to fairly compare the US to would be a turbohead light. I don't think any you mentioned have a turbohead. I have a US, a KT2, & a M3T. The KT2 = the US in light & throw. The M3T w/MN16 is as good a throw & more light than the KT2. This is compareing the lights I own. TX

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest, I thought M6 has the turbo head. I don't have M3T and didn't realize it throws farther than M6. I will take your words for it. Thanks for the info.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allen, I could be mistaken on that one (M6). If so, & the lamp is designed for long throw, I would suspect it would be the winner, with its 500 lumen & 6 batteries. TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
txwest, I thought M6 has the turbo head. I don't have M3T and didn't realize it throws farther than M6. I will take your words for it. Thanks for the info.

Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

Before I got my M6 I assumed it had a turbo head because the larger diameter (2.5"), but it really doesn't, and that famous "wall of light" is for real!

I hope that LPS's "compact turbohead" turns out to be the breakthrough they promise, and not just hype.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,

I thought the turbo head used in M6 is exactly the same as M3T. Of course, position of the focal point of the lamp makes a lot of difference even with the same reflector.

You're right that M6 with MN21 does throw wall of light (not as much as 10x though). With MN20, I think it's just right (by SF standard) and throw as far as MN21. That's why I almost exclusively use MN20 instead of MN21. When wall of light is needed, I use 10X.

I think the main reason why Sure Fire doesn't throw very far is due to its non-smooth reflector. While its reflector provides very smooth beam, it throws less distance than competitors who has smooth reflector of same size and other parameters such as beam angle, brightness ... etc. UltraStinger takes a compromised design of its reflector - half smooth and half shiny-dimpled.

I am anxiously looking for review of LPS compact turbohead. With this head on Z3 will make it look like a mini-12ZM. I wonder why it costs more than KT2 though.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allen,
This is my post from another thread that's active right now. Haven't gotten any replies yet. TX
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>txwest
Flashaholic
Member # 824
posted 03-23-2002 09:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TtL,
We've already discussed this via email, but I'm going to post here in case anyone knows the answer. I sent Wayne an email on it, but never got a reply.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a KT2 from LPS. Wayne called me & said he was going to sub this LPS Special "SR" head at the same price. That sounded good to me, but when it got here, it looked identical to the turbohead on my 12PM, which I presume is what the standard 2 1/2" SF T-head looks like. It's in a package that has the SF logo then "LPS Special SR - 9 Volt Compact Turbo Head". This head is considerbly more on his sight than the standard KT2. Has anyone gotten a "compact turbo head" form Wayne that's different than the SF 2 1/2" T-head???? TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Size15's

Flashaholic
Right.
All SureFire Millennium TurboHeads are 2.5" diameter. They are all interchangeable.
I could swap my M3T TurboHead with the one on an M500B (for example)

My understanding is that the Compact TurboHead is the Classic 2.5" TurboHead used by the 12PM/12ZM/L120M. This is compact compared to the Classic 3" diameter Extended Range TurboHead "T Series"

What TurboHead LPS are using for their SRD3 if it isn't 2.5" or 3" I have no idea.
From the photo, it doesn't look like a 12PM 2.5" TurboHead because the lens is set too far forward. If I hadn't have read the blurb, I'd have assumed from the photo that it's a T2 (3" reflector). Perhaps LPS have got some small 2" TurboHead made up special just for them? In which case, I'm interested.

From the post above, it seems that this special TurboHead may not be that special?

I know there used to be a SureFire T12 Classic 2.5" TurboHead with N1 Lamp for the likes of the 6P.
Perhaps this is a "T22" Classic 2.5" TurboHead with N2 Lamp for the likes of the D3?

Please keep us updated!

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
...I think the main reason why Sure Fire doesn't throw very far is due to its non-smooth reflector. While its reflector provides very smooth beam, it throws less distance than competitors who has smooth reflector of same size and other parameters such as beam angle, brightness ... etc. UltraStinger takes a compromised design of its reflector - half smooth and half shiny-dimpled....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan,

I just took a close look at my 6P turbohead (old 3" one) and the reflector is very subtly faceted. If you didn't look carefully you would think it was smooth. In fact, that's what I always assumed before now.

Brightnorm