Who have you converted to EDC?

wmirag

Enlightened
Over the last few years, I've given or otherwise arranged for decent to excellent lights for many friends and family. Most of these people at least find their new lights useful at home. SOME of these people now EDC, something they would never have imagined had I not purposely infected them. Once in a while these folks have actually encountered non-trivial emergencies where their lights were invaluable

Are any of you guys sucessful "crack dealers" like me?

My EDC converts
===============

Photon Freedom EDC - SusanM, SusanD, John

Jil DD EDC - Mike, Lisa, Carolyn, Scott, Amy, SusanL, Kevin, Joana

Infinity Ultra EDC - Paul

CR2-Ion EDC - Jim

HDS EDC - Hal

Dollar Coin Cell EDC - Cindy, Hans, too many to mention

jhawkins1

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the game, still working on folks! I have however converted the GF over somewhat.

In the car is a red MiniMag with a Nitize drop in.
In the purse is one of the lipstick lights from FifthUnit (She loves it, looks just like lipstick so people don't think she is strange for carrying a flashlight).

Eventually I would like to get her a 1xAAA Cree for her keychain when they become available.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to hand out some coin cell white LED lights (the cheap ones you can get in bulk on ebay) to people who keep asking to borrow my EDCs (mostly people at work) and see if I can convert anyone!

I've considered giving some decent smallish lights like the ARC AAA/L0P out as presents but I doubt they'd be EDC'd making them a bit of a waste :/ although I'm getting someone an L0P this christmas, who I know will appreciate it ;)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I gave a GF a photon (clone I'm sure, I didn't know the diff at the time) and she carried it on her keychain and used it a lot. Loved it. She bought herself a red one as a backup. She later bought herself a flashlight and lantern for camping. Probably now a raging flashaholic.

Gave the last GF a 2AAA Mag I'd dropped an MJLED into. Trying to find an appropriate Pelican to give her since her nick-name is Pelican.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
I'm still currently trying to convert the old man! It's a lot harder than I thought...

CQB

Enlightened
Something so logical & practical to us, for some reason, seems illogical to others. Go figure.

Got the wife EDCing a QIII (but it's inside her make-up bag). I'm just glad she has it with her, albeit it's not really on her person though.

Still preaching to one of my younger brothers as well. He's one of them metros3xuals =) who are concerned more with fashion than being practical. But he does understand that nowadays a person has MANY options to still be practical AND fashionable. I gave him my E2L but he still doesnt EDC it yet. *sigh* Perhaps a good keychain light would be more realistic for him at this time...

Duluth Diesel

Newly Enlightened
CQB said:
Something so logical & practical to us, for some reason, seems illogical to others. Go figure.

I feel the exact way about HAM radio. IMO, judging by the smart and prepared guys I see on here, all of you should be HAM radio operators. You seem like guys who know technology, know what is good for you and your family, and like to be prepared knowing that you have to count on yourself, not others, when the sh*$ goes down. As a FCC licensed amateur radio operator, I know that if an emergency arises and I need to get help or help others, I can get the word out when all phone lines and cell towers are dead or gridlocked.

Look into it if you haven't already. You'll find a smart new hobby to expand into.

-Chuck
http://www.arrl.org/

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my family memebers River Rock 2xAAAs last xmas, and later heard my dad was carrying it with him. I was so thrill he got a Fenix L1P for Father's Day, which I think he carries, because it's not sitting on the table anymore with his other belt/pocket stuff.

EDIT: Chuck is right, if I could pass the no-code Tech exam like 7 or 8 years ago, anyone can. And before anyone gets to say it, I know.... if it ain't CW, it's CB.:sssh:

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
zipplet said:
I'm going to hand out some coin cell white LED lights (the cheap ones you can get in bulk on ebay) to people who keep asking to borrow my EDCs (mostly people at work) and see if I can convert anyone!
I did a similar thing... My elderly mother is in a sheltered housing complex, and they keep having power cuts in that part of town, but aside form that, it's a shadowy area, sooo, I got a bag of 70 (yes, 70) of the cheap keychain LED lights from ebay (about £20 including postage from Hong Kong or wherever - see link below). I gave them to my mother to distribute amongst the residents, should be enough for 2 each, any light is better than none, and the elderly, who have more trouble with poor eyesight in dark areas can do without any trips and falls.

Just my little bit of goodwill for the year (that, and KSBMan's light giveaway).

Link for cheap keychain LEDs: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330038157222

tron3

Banned
After months I finally converted my brother to the Fenix L1T. He loved it and carried it with him everywhere. Every night he told me how important it is to have a flashlight. :)

Upon showing it to his idiot friend, said friend goes out and buys a 2 pack of DORCY LED which use 3 AAA's. Less light and MUCH bigger. Sold one to my brother. Now he is into carrying that monster. :rant: I'm insulted.

Plenty of people I show my lights to would like one, they just can't see spending $35 on a Fenix LOP. Frikken Geeze....

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I got my girlfriend to carry a button cell white LED from Lighthound but she doubts she'll ever need it. Other than that I haven't converted anyone...but I prefer to let everyone find their own path to enlightenment.:grin2:

dfred

Enlightened
My sister now purse-carries an Inova X5T I gave her and has commented that it has come in handy on several occasions.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kid brother carries an old Arc 3.1 that I gave him and a lighthound fauxton, both on his keychain.

My mum carries a lighthound fauxton on her keys and has one of my old Inova X5's that that she uses around the house...she also has a 1xAA "X5 clone" in her handbag.

CFU

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 2 computerless friends who carry their p1 everywhere and are looking forward to a p1dce.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
My wife now carries a Fenix E0. She has it on a clip hanging from the zipper pull on her pocketbook. I told her she needs to keep where it can be found easily - not lying among the stuff at the bottom of the bag. I gave my daughter a Dorcy super 1 watt for use in the dark parking lots she often encounters when leaving work.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duluth Diesel said:
I feel the exact way about HAM radio. IMO, judging by the smart and prepared guys I see on here, all of you should be HAM radio operators.

CQ CQ CQ......I am :wave:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I nearly have two work mates converted. Sold one of them my L2T so I had to buy another.

The other half has a natural E1 but she is not converted her mother on the other hand is very keen.

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
I've given away a bunch of nice lights and folks appreciate and keep them, but I have never converted someone to the point where they would spend >$50 on a EDC light.