Fake Panasonic CR123 Explosion

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened
I discharged 3 panasonic cr123 in my 9P with P91, so i removed the 3 cells and put them in a drawer and then i heard a BANG with a lot of smokes.
and i discovered that one of the used cell blowed up.

Can someone explain with cr123 would explode?

Last edited:

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Re: My CR123 just blow up with dark smokes!!

Exploding lithium cells have been the topic of alot of discussion on these forums. First and foremost- VERY TOXIC STUFF! Do not handle the cell or breathe the fumes. Get to a computer in a safe environment and learn more- I predict this thread will become very active soon.

Fluffster

Newly Enlightened

coucoujojo said:
I discharged 3 panasonic cr123 in my 9P with P91, so i removed the 3 cells and put them in a drawer and then i heard a BANG with a lot of smokes.
and i discovered that one of the used cell blowed up.

Can someone explain with cr123 would explode?

This can be dangerous, don't breathe the fumes, don't touch the black stuff, and read this thread

supes

Enlightened

I didn't have a CR123a cell blow up on me, but I did have a AA alkaline battery in my light. It happened in a box, and the corrosive toxic stuff ate through the alumnium! A clear hole through the metal.
Be very cautious.

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

With the CR123 it's suddenly happen, i have chance that the cell was not in my hand!

not2bright

Enlightened

Were they all brand new (not used in any other light individually)? What was the date code if you can check without touching anything bad.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

coucoujojo, first and foremost, DO NOT BREATHE ANY FUMES!!! get out of that room and do not sleep in it. I too think this thread will become active....a full blown investigation is in order. Some pics will help.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

was it a metal drawer that could allow the battery to short-circuit?
(or was there anything metal in the drawer that it could short on?)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think a moderator should move this thread to the batteries and electronics forum.

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

I'will send pict tomorrow but all i know is my drawer (wooden) is black now!

Illum

Flashaholic

odd...previous incidents have explosions where the batteries are still in their flashlights indicating a possible short circuit. but you took these out of the flashlight, placed them in a wooden drawer...and they promptly exploded :thinking:

something doesnt sound right here, how long was your light on and did you notice anything unusual when you took the cells out?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Air Force has had two Surefire M4 weapon lights get destroyed from CR123A lithium battery explosions in the last month. They now require that the batteries be removed from the light before the weapon is returned to the armory.

For me, I prefer AA or single lithium-ion lights so I don't have to deal with the problem.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Panasonic say that they will replace or repair any device damaged by their cells. Would you count your drawer as a 'device'? If so, it is covered. Might be worth an email to Panasonic to see what they say.
I can only assume that one of the cells was overly-discharged for some reason and on the brink of blowing when you removed it. The acceleration kinematics of closing the drawer may have been the impetus for the explosion.

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

Here some pics of the incident

PANASONIC CR123 cell
kicx0342xi2.jpg

kicx0343gw7.jpg

My drawer
kicx0345rk4.jpg

kicx0346vy7.jpg

kicx0347bi9.jpg
kicx0350mr8.jpg

kicx0351jn2.jpg

Last edited:

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

Illum_the_nation said:
odd...previous incidents have explosions where the batteries are still in their flashlights indicating a possible short circuit. but you took these out of the flashlight, placed them in a wooden drawer...and they promptly exploded :thinking:

something doesnt sound right here, how long was your light on and did you notice anything unusual when you took the cells out?

I used the cell until there's no more light on my SF 9P P91, the 9P was quite hot, but nothing unusual.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gosh!!! for the unbelievers. Was it a loud bang or "rapid venting with flames" ? those panasonics if they are genuine look from Japan, strange. Are you sure these are legit panasonics ?

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened

LED61 said:
Gosh!!! for the unbelievers. Was it a loud bang or "rapid venting with flames" ? those panasonics if they are genuine look from Japan, strange. Are you sure these are legit panasonics ?
It was a BANG and smokes, no flames and it's genuine Panasonics.