Space Shuttle Emergency

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"CNN Developing Story Link #1"
-------------
Just in, NASA has lost contact & all tracking information on the Space Shuttle Columbia. It was due to land at Kennedy Space Center at 9:16 am U.S. east coast time. Reports indicate that an explosion was heard approx 100 miles north of Dallas, Texas. The shuttle was at an altitude of approx 200,700 feet on approach. Debris has been seen and is assumed to be the shuttle breaking up.

NASA has declared an emergency and applicable procedures are in effect including search and rescue.

May God be with the astronauts, their families, and all those personnel involved.

B@rt

Flashaholic
cry.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woah, 7 people lost.
frown.gif
Very sad.

Noticed too that this was close to the aniversary of the Challenger explosion. Also, this was the 113th mission. A news conference is planned for 11:30am today.

The Challenger blew up on the 28th day of January. Columbia (the only other shuttle that starts with C) blew up on its 28th mission.

Launched on the 16th of January and came down on the 16th day of that mission. Planned landing was 8:16am.

Of course, the Isareli crew member may have attracted a terrorist attack but I think the true cause will be found to be just as much an accident as the Challenger.

In rememberence of all the space farers lost...

Peter Gransee

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always found myself greatly emotionally connected to the space program. It embodies much of what I consider great about human beings in general. Tackling insurmountable projects and doing a good job. Shooting for something so outrageous and making it work. This is not just a personal tragedy for the men and their families, but a national tragedy as well. The space program has always been one of those things that we choose to do in-spite of all the other problems that humans have, all the infighting and petty differences. It shows that we are growing to the point where we have resources beyond those necessary for simple survival and can choose to use them for something more.

My thoughts and prayers are with the astronauts and their families.

Big Tex

Enlightened
I heard an explosion just after 8 this am in Dallas. I'm not sure if that was a sonic boom or the explosion but it was loud. According to
tv reports, it appears some debris has been found about 100-150 miles southeast of Dallas.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've seen a couple different amateur videos, it broke up at 200,000. the debris is scattered over small towns about 80 miles south of dallas. there won't be any survivors. i hope they didn't suffer, that's a horrible way to die.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Just seen the news flash on British Television. My thoughts and prayers, as I'm sure all who watched it, are with the families.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truely a sad day. These souls risked it all so we could learn from the science experiments they performed over the last two weeks.

I don't know what else to say; just puts a lump in the throat.....

Big Tex

Enlightened
The "debris" reports are now being confirmed. Many of the reports are from Nacogdoches, Texas.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Originally posted by Marty Weiner:
Almost 17 years to the day since Challenger blew up on 1/28/86.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Al Qaeda likes anniversaries! But I assume that the insulation debris that came off the main booster during lift-off and hit the wing actually did some damage they weren't aware of.

My personal opinion is 90% chance wing damage, 10% chance sabotage.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the last time the shuttle flew over me was the first time in 7 years it landed at Edwards. It made a couple of sonic booms so loud, I thought the neighbor's house may have had a gas explosion, so I called the police.
They told me what had happened...
I mention this just because I am wondering what caused the extremely loud, earth-shaking explosion witnesses are reporting. Could residual fuel burning have caused that? Would the craft breaking apart at (edit) 12,500 mph do that?

Empath

Flashaholic
All tragedies involving the loss of life is terrible. There is something though that touches you more personally when those lost are there for you. We apparently can't all climb aboard the shuttle, or be directly involved in the efforts to expand or extend the levels of knowledge and reach. Yet, those serving on the front line of the efforts and experiments act on our behalf. This is a loss for the entire human race, not just for Americans nor for Israel. No doubt, efforts to expand our horizons into space will not come without the loss of life, for it is a risky venture. We've lost life, and will lose again. Risk in itself is a challenge of probabilities, which means continued practice will expose us to more possibilities. Still, it always hurts, and we will always feel the loss. Yet they were successful. Through them we are closer, and we've learned. Without their contributions we would not be where we are.

We were all there through them. We were all trying to reach higher. We all feel the loss.

Our hearts are with the families, close friends, acquaintances, and nations feeling the full personal loss of these great individuals.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The various weather radars in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is tracking the debris field! Spooky!