Angry at Macintosh

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
I have something I need to rant about. Up until recently, I had been using the Chimera browser on my OS X. Last week, though, it developed some sort of permanent bug. I tried deleting, redownloading and reinstalling it, but without success. I liked Chimera because it didn't have any problems with certain websites like Internet Explorer did. When it went belly-up, I decided to get the Safari beta. But, I download it, and what's this? It only works for OS 10.2 (aka Jaguar)? The OS X platform is only a few years old and already they appear to be making all the software for Jaguar? I can't even find any info on 10.1 on the Apple website. I don't know about any of you other mac users, but I am seriously pi$$ed. It looks to me like a tactic to get all the 10.1 users to buy the $130 upgrade to Jaguar. Well, I'm not buying it. Period. End of rant.

James

Tomas

Banned
They could just as easily have called OS X 10.2, OS X 11. There's that big a difference. Really.

I've had to buy new operating system software several times since my first Mac back in '86. I've also had to buy several even more expensive upgrades of UNIX since I started using it in '82.

Major upgrades of operating systems represent a tremendous outlay of real life money to develop, and even though I'd prefer to get "lifetime OS updates for free" I can understand a company's need to recover the money they spent developing their software.

If a person wishes to stick with an OS after it has been superceeded and discontinued they will run into many problems in a very short while.

The other option is to forego the neat GUI's and move to one of the various flavors of Linux ...

BTW: There's information on MacFixit about correcting the problem you are having with Chimera IIRC. (I don't care for Safari.)

Just to make myself feel better, I keep backups of everything on my systems that are mirrored nightly. If on a given day something stops working, I can step back a day and recover.

*currently running 10.2.4 and 9.2.2*

tomsig02.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had safari and it went permanantly unexpectedly quit.
do a google search and see how many other people have had the same problem. (alot)
today I spent another 8 hours on the phone with microsoft, apple, and macmicrowarehouse, (they all passed me on to the next - 'not our problem' ) - trying to get my outlook express to 'send' in OSX..no luck..I got very exasperated..shut it down, took a shower -- turned it back on -- everything worked perfectly. all the while the osx mail program (I have both oe and 'stampmail' ) sent and received just fine - so could it have been the isp?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomas,

When was the last time you actually tried Linux????? It has KDE and Gnome as the primary and most popular GUIs, and a bunch of others. Granted, there are distros that are text only, but, most have these GUIs, and have had them for a number of years now.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yup...try RedHat. It can be a little tricky getting it set up but once you get it going there's no turning back.

Linux is sweet, efficient, and streamlined. Gnome is a little bloated, that is to say, a little slugish on my computer--but I think on anything built within the past 2 years gnome would be not just acceptably fast, but downright snappy.

With the exception of setting up Samba (Just diable encrypted passwords from the get go on your windows computers) I haven't run across anything that I haven't been able to fix within a few hours . Heck, with a faster comptuer most of those issues probably could have been fixed within minutes
tongue.gif

Tomas

Banned
Charles, other than casual use (via ISP servers that I was hosting client sites on) I'm not a Linux user of any flavor - I'm a UNIX user and have been since I was at Bell Labs in the early '80's. On UNIX (or Linux) systems I'm a command line type, and haven't tried any of the GUI's.

Otherwise I'm a Mac OS person.

One thing I DON'T do is use anything from Microsoft.

tomsig02.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well...Finder in OS X is technically just a GUI for Unix so you ARE using a GUI with Unix
wink.gif

Tomas

Banned
*sigh* See my first post: "The other option is to forego the neat GUI's and move to one of the various flavors of Linux ... "

I use Mac OS but when I wish to interface directly with UNIX (even on this OS X 10.2.4 machine) and use pipes or grep stuff, or visit my old friend the VI editor and the nroff/troff formatter or maybe even use AWK, I simply go command-line since while those things are indeed under the hood, they are hidden by the MAC OS (which, of course, is IN MY OPINION the best commercial GUI sitting on a UNIX system at this time).

(And no, I have no crying need to try out the other GUI's on UNIX/Linux - with over 16GB of existing Mac legacy files, I'll stick with something that understands and supports what I have, thankyouverymuch.
grin.gif
)