'Flashlight Story', The Book

aikiman44

Enlightened
From today's book review of "I Am Plastic", by Paul Budnitz, about designer toys:

"What draws a person to an object is not always an idea - it might just be an intense love for the material reality of the object itself."

I don't reallly get the vinyl toy thing, limited edition or not, but it's obviously big, internationally (though I do collect contemporary tiki mugs, but at least they've got a place in our Polynesian Pop period, see "The Book of Tiki" by Sven Kirsten, if you can get it). "Plastic" is 367 pages: "this large, sumptuous display of alluring oddities".
Though new to this obsession, I bet that a similar style book with McGizmos, Dracos, Spys, Ions, Orbs, Chameleons, Gatlights, etc. would be very enoyable and informative, even to an unenlightened public. Damn, even the names, whether alone or linked together in a sentence, are cool.
It might have more appeal than similar knife books, as flashlights probably have a wider audience, including children and some women who flinch at the mention of any cutlery not meant for the kitchen (No slight to the knife people, I like to think of myself as one of them, too. Anyway, there're knife books out there. I love Darom's beautiful "Custom Folding Knives")

Anybody want to write a book with me?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think Craig (LED Museum) and Doug (Flashlightreviews) deserve chapters in your book, as does CPF.

Geoff

Glen C

Enlightened
Aikiman, great idea. Probably worth mentioning that many of the collectors books these days are sponsored A) by the featured collection as it raises the value or B) by the featured products. A friend of mine is a book publisher and I was surprised when she showed me a number of books published this way.

prof

Enlightened
You'd better include a light with the book! Perhaps built into the cover, or even in a small pocket...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
prof said:
You'd better include a light with the book! Perhaps built into the cover, or even in a small pocket...

Or a built in reading light! ;)

The book sounds like a good idea otherwise, but you are preaching for the choir here at cpf... :whistle:
Hard to say what the unenlightened (sorry for the pun) public would have to say. Flashlights are a pretty weird obsession, but on the other hand, some really are a work of art, like the orb RAW damascus (sorry that I can't come up with more from the top of my head, there are tons of gorgeous lights out there, so no disrespect to anyone).

Last edited: