how to attach a luxeon

karlosk98

Newly Enlightened
What kind of glue is the one used to attach a luxeon led to the heatsink? Thanks.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a thick, NON setting, toothpaste like thermal compound from Maplins over here in the UK. I hold them in place using the solder joints. It makes them really easy to remove and swap and the thermal transmission is really good

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
I use a thick, NON setting, toothpaste like thermal compound from Maplins over here in the UK. I hold them in place using the solder joints. It makes them really easy to remove and swap and the thermal transmission is really good

I use the same stuff as JAY R and it works very well. I have an L2P with a millermods driver in it and a UXOJ lux III and if left turned on for 10 mins without being held the body gets to hot to touch so i know alot of the heat is being transferred away from the LED.

frenzee

Enlightened
Lumileds uses a kind of ceramic epoxy compound to attach LuxIIIs to the star. But I don't think it is Ceramique becasue it's brownish gray in color not white.

Don't forget to isolate the slug. Most epoxies are very unreliable in terms of electrical insulation. What happens is you attach the LED and put on your test leads to check check for shorts and everything look good. Then you come back to it a half hour later and you find out there is short and it's too late to reposition anything becasue the epoxy is already set.

What I do to get around this is I frist attach a smill disk-shaped sheet of mylarized aluminum-copper to the slug using Arcric Silver. You can find this stuff at craft stores. It is about the thickness of aluminum foil so its thermal resistance is very low and it withstands temperatures up to 300 F. What I do is use an ordinary desktop paper punch which cuts a circle just slightly larger than a Luxeon's slug. I attached the punched piece to Luxeon's slug with Arcric Silver and let it set. Once the LED is isolated, then I can mount it just about anywhere without worrying about shorts. Again I use Arcric Silver, although I have had good results with plain olde 5-minute JB Weld. Whatever I end up using for the final attachment, I use a small weight to press down on the LED until the epoxy is fully set.

This is a punched out isolator next to a LuxIII:

DSC00924-s.jpg

This is the laminated sheet I use. It comes in 5 sheets per package - practically a lifetime supply - and you can get it at craft stores or at the 99c store for, you guessed it, 99c.

DSC00954.jpg