• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Clip Screw: Hex Driver Solution

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
Some of you have experienced problems with the 1/16" socket head screws used to hold the pocket clips on the lights. I too have had issues with the cheap allen drivers out there and I mentioned this to the fellow at Lunsford Racing where I buy the Ti socket head screws. He turned me on to a quality driver called the thorp made by MIP. A google will bring upmany dealers for thesebut HERE's one just for example. I bought a few of these and they really do do the job!! I had one PD pack shipped back to me from across the pond because the screw heads were stripped. I was able to seat this driver down into the head completely and remove the screws with no problem.

I amnot suggesting that any of you need to go out and get one of these drivers but if you want a 1/16" driver that will do the job for you, then here it is!

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool!

I personnally use HUDY tools that RC guys generally find acceptable :sssh:

Product describtion here

This is how they typicaly look like :
img25080556eg3.jpg

Pic doesn't make them justice... They really really look awesome in real. The way the tips are machined is also amazingly precise/sharp. They also exist in a cheaper versions with plastic handle but same top notch tip. Tips are replacable.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tino Ale,
I don't know if it was you or someone else who posted about the hudy tools a while back but I picked up a set and a seperate 1/16" driver to boot. They too have ground hex bits that will very snugly drop all the way down into the socket and give you plenty "grip". The problem I hadwith the 1/16" was the driver shaft itself is kept from rotation by a set screw and mine would slip as I couldn't get the set screw tight enough with yet another allen wrench of dubious quality! :green:

With either the Hudy or the thorp you can put the screw onto the driver and it is snug enough that it will stay put; a good sign of a tight fit with good engagement!

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Anyone know where the MIP Thorp is made? I couldn't find out on the web - does it say on the actual driver? Thanks! :)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Codeman said:
It doesn't say that where it's manufactured on that link, if that's why you were sending it. It just gives the company HQ address, which doesn't mean that's where it's made. :shrug:

Don - what's it say on the handle or packaging (if you kept the packaging)?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the short answers earlier - I was a bit busy at the time. If you look at the 2006 Catalog PDF file, it says that they manufacture the MIP tools. That, along with their location in California seems to imply that they are US-made. I guess a phone call would be the best way to get a definite answer, though.

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I believe I have mentionned this brand here before. You're right about the set screw, when buying these you need a good (2mm IIRC) hex wrench to properly secure the tips. I haven't experienced loose tip so far :shrug:

I really enjoy the tight fit they have :)

Don, if you have the aluminium handle version, can you identify the black coating they have? If really looks nice and pretty rugged/durable

McGizmo said:
Tino Ale,
I don't know if it was you or someone else who posted about the hudy tools a while back but I picked up a set and a seperate 1/16" driver to boot. They too have ground hex bits that will very snugly drop all the way down into the socket and give you plenty "grip". The problem I hadwith the 1/16" was the driver shaft itself is kept from rotation by a set screw and mine would slip as I couldn't get the set screw tight enough with yet another allen wrench of dubious quality! :green:

With either the Hudy or the thorp you can put the screw onto the driver and it is snug enough that it will stay put; a good sign of a tight fit with good engagement!

ShortArc

Enlightened
I too had problems and could not remove the socket head screws with a "good" allen driver...vise grips had to be called in (very crude). Strangely enough other socket head screws by Lunsford Racing worked fine with the same driver....

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One would think that a titanium screw wouldn't strip. But they do and so do the drivers. Maybe the aren't titanium? Hell I don't know. I now just use the cross screws and the problem is gone.
yaesumofo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I didn't keep the packaging but I am fairly certain that these are made here by MIP. I was told that they (MIP) take drill rod and grind it to size with no slop.

I have the black Al hudy but no guess or idea of anodize or alloy used.

Yaesumofo, the screws from Lunsford are 6-4 Ti and made in house by them with their own CNC equipment. If you match up a properly sized driver with these screws, you can appreciate the tight tolerance and great fit between the two.

easilyled

Flashaholic
yaesumofo said:
One would think that a titanium screw wouldn't strip. But they do and so do the drivers. Maybe the aren't titanium? Hell I don't know. I now just use the cross screws and the problem is gone.
yaesumofo

Can you post a link for the screws you use please?
(including the size)

It would be really useful.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks Codeman, but I was addressing yaesumofo who said that
he uses cross-head (phillips screws)

I would find it very useful if yaesumofo posts a link about where
he gets these screws from. :)