Streamlight Battery Maintenance

PhillyRube

Enlightened
OK, got a question. First off, haven't posted in awhile, just lurking amongst the fringes.

My agency issues Streamlight SL15 lights to each officer. What is the best way to maintain the battery pack? Constant trickle charge? Discharge the light each week after work? Seems like we replace a lot of battery sticks and just want to make surewe're not doing it by doing something schtupid

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, an SL15? That's a classic. You'd pretty much treat them like any other Streamlight, just use it and then throw it back into the charger sleeve.
Don't know what kind of batteries you're using, with the SL20 series, the Streamlight branded batteries used to almost consistently last 3-4 years in normal day to day usage (and abuse.) Usage life with third party batteries tended to vary significantly though, sometimes as little as 2 years, anything less was usually a battery cell failure of some sort.

Perhaps looking at the NiCD sections at Battery University might provide a bit more insight into NiCD battery usage and care.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL15 that is indeed a Classic SL I had one up until about a year ago. When the switch on mine failed, I took it to my local SL warranty center they replaced the stwitch and I was back in business. I used it for a few weeks at work when I noticed a crack in the body under the switch. So I got in touch with SL customer service and they had me ship the light back to them. I was hoping they might have a SL15 body but nsuch lick. When I got the package in the mail to my suprise SL sent me a brand new SL20XP. I like the XP but I miss my SL15. Course I also have a SL11 now thanks to js and Mad Maxabeam. It's a modified SL20X with a js MOP cut down reflector and WA1111 bulb and a Mad Maxabeam 3D 7.2Volt battery pack.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it was kind odd to hear that there was an agency that issued them currently (there was a SL15X as well with the new switch). But then I knew of one agency that still issues SL-20s (original ones) to some of their non-sworn personnel, and to sworn personnel who may be there on mutual-aid.

depusm12 said:
SL15 that is indeed a Classic SL I had one up until about a year ago.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Yeah, it was kind odd to hear that there was an agency that issued them currently (there was a SL15X as well with the new switch). But then I knew of one agency that still issues SL-20s (original ones) to some of their non-sworn personnel, and to sworn personnel who may be there on mutual-aid.

I have a better storry than that. When I was active duty Navy Law Enforcemnt in New Olreans we had 6 or 7 SL20X's and a couple of group chargers in dispatch. They wouldn't light up well and I told the supply person all the lights needed were new batteries. The reason I know that is cause a slipped a bulb from the SL20X into my SL-15 and it lit up fine. But they wouldn't listen too me and got rid of the lights and chargers. Wish I had know then SL was gonna quit making them. I would snatched a couple up. Actually I bought my SL-15 at a gunshop in Gretna, LA just up the road, after about 2 weeks in New Oleans.

Last edited:

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Yup, they are classic lights. We must have bought a truckload of them. Good light, tho.