So...wow. I think I'm happy for now.

Nomad

Enlightened
I know most of you guys have pretty impressive collections of lights. I've been on here for a year...year and a half and hadn't really gotten very far compared to some of you true flashaholics. I'm on a pretty limited budget but I've set my sights on certain goals. Also, I placed an ad on freecycle a few times asking for flashlights and flashlight parts, working or not, that was a REAL help! I got a couple of full sized mag lights that had corroded batteries inside and managed to clean them up! My first "improved" lights were mods. I purchased some of those great little potted SMJ LEDs... and made myself a buckalight! I actually really like it still and it still is one of my favorite lights. Then, I bought one of Auroralight's hotwire kits. Had to save up a bit, but I bought a pair of 14500 protected cells from AW (they work, and he rocks, customer service is AWESOME!) and a T-3 I don't remember where I got it. Had my first hotwire! A mini-mag TL-3! At the same time AW sold me a couple of 3AA series to 1D adapters. I put those, with some rechargeable AAs I got locally for free, in a 2D Mag plus a 5 cell krypton bulb. That was a BIG difference for that light.

I fiddled around a little since then. Did a couple of simple solitaire mods (I really like small lights for EDC). Got some Mag LED modules (sold a couple on here) for free (thanks again freecycle!) where the bodies were pretty much destroyed. Some people are just not careful with forklifts it looks like. :) I replaced the potted SMJ LED in my buckalight with a MAG LED 2 cell. Even better!

Well...now I got an unexpected check in the mail. I SHOULD have saved the money, but I cut out my lunch budget instead (check doesn't QUITE cover the parts), doctor says I need to drop weight anyways. But I finally can afford to do the ROP 2C mod! I ordered the final parts, along with the protected 2C cells today, I can hardly wait! I just hope I'm not expecting too much.

At any rate, I've done these mods:
Hotwire Mini-Mag 2AA 1499 (tl-3 bulb in tailcap) with the awesome Big Head Conversion.
Buckalight with 2 cell MAG LED
2 Mini maglites with SMJ LEDs
3 or 4 solitaires with LEDs
Mag 2D into Mag 6 cell, this will be getting ROP Low!
and I'm hoping to finish my Mag 2C ROP high and a Mag 3D converted to bi-pin slug with glass lens...however I still need to find room in my budget for a reflector for the Mag 3D, the reflector I was able to order is going in to my lovely purplish 2C!

I've really enjoyed this...I had to sell some of the lights I modded to some of the security guards at my part time job just so I can get more parts, so I don't actually have all those lights on hand any more (keeping my buckalight! I really like that cheap little thing!). But it's a fun ride and really enjoyable to me. Plus it's kinda fun to see someone dazzle themselves a little with a solitaire or mini-mag. I almost just gave up on the flashlights after my 5D mag, surefire from the '05 Christmas drawing, and a bunch of other stuff I had stashed in my car for work (all I had VISIBLE were some books dangit!) were stolen from my car. However a couple of CPFers were really cool and sent me replacements, one of the replacements vanished into the maw of the USPS, but the other was a nifty little Pelican M6 lithium that I really like even though the constant on doesn't work.

At any rate, besides a little grumbling on how I hate how stuff vanishes into the maw of the USPS (or gets broken, an energizer double barrel arrived broken, and I'd love to get it fixed but I don't know where to start), I'm going to cut off my rambling now. Thanks for the great board y'all!

Cydonia

Enlightened
This is a good story. Freecycle sounds interesting. Just googled it... neat. Free corroded Maglites... good for parts, reflectors, etc., not bad! Tell us about how you got a couple of FREE MagLED modules too!

I recall seeing a collection of old Maglites stood up on end on the floor behind the counter of a run down busy pawn shop last year. They were of differing heights, looked old, at least 4 cell sizes and more. I wasn't interested at the time... and it's the kind of place you can haggle the prices down a little too. (For locals reading this it was at the "Super Pawn" on King George Hwy on the hill as you go down to the bridge.) Can't beat a $5 or FREE mag fixed up and modded!

Nomad

Enlightened
I'm not sure how, but when I got those Mag LED modules they were in lights and the light bodies were REALLY trashed. Looked like a forklift accident at my guess, but I honestly have no idea.