Any custom pen guys out here?

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
Here are some of my custom pens by Mike Parsons. Great pen turner and good guy. Just thought I would share...

endpicpens.jpg

3pens.jpg

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I like pens as much as I like flashlights and the like. Nice looking ones. Although I'm more of a FP type of person.

Thanks for sharing and Enjoy!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I wrote more...then I'd buy a nice pen for myself. :(
I'll try and snap a pic of my wife's David Broadwell RB.

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
The barrel material is black acyllic and curly poplar wood dyed black. COOL huh? The refill is Fisher if I am not mistaken. Great pen!

LowWorm

Enlightened
Very cool! Iced Theater, I'm tool dumb - does the lathe let you do a hexagonal shaped barrel, similar to a pencil?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I saw a custom FP today, called Arabian Nights. Didn't pay attention to the maker because I was shocked at the price! :huh: $19,995.00 was the price and orders were being filled. Beautiful! No jewels to make it look gawdy, just refined argentum micro-weaved mesh throughout.

Enjoy!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've done a couple. One is my EDC. The other is a fountain pen that looks cool but is kind of impractical.

Two were made from walnut. The fountain pens were sprayed with satin Verathane while spinning on a rod. The ball point pen has a hard wax finish, melted into the surface by friction as it spun on the lathe. They were made on my Harbor Freight 7x10 metal lathe. The guts are kits from Woodcrafter.

fpen2.jpg

fpen_walnuts.jpg

bpen_walnut.jpg

Daniel

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey nice wood pens gadget_lover, especially the FPs!

I have one around here somewhere in Koa wood given me as a gift for my HS graduation.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Thanks CHC. They are really fairly easy to make. They even sell everything you need to make them at stores like Woodcraft.

Here's the basics; A pen blank. A set of brass tubes to reinforce the inside of the wood after it's turned. The arbor that goes in the lathe as you shape the wood.

fpenparts.jpg

Daniel

iced_theater

Enlightened
What lathe do you use? I was using a Jet mini lathe, but just got a Turncrafter brand and haven't even hooked it up yet as these past couple of weeks have been hectic.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've used my Harbor Freight 7x10 minilathe (and the Cummins 7x12 that replaced it) to turn the pens. I built a simple tool rest from a piece of aluminum but should replace it with one from iron next time. Turning straight pieces using the metal turning toolpost makes for VERY straight barrels.

I use mini turning tools that I bought at Woodcraft. They work well enough, though my neighbor says they are low quality.

Here's the lathe set to turn barrel from a chunk of walnut. Well, I'd actually have a live center on the right end. This was a picture I took just to show the relative position of the tool rest.

toolrest1.jpg

How is the Jet Mini? Every once in a while I think about picking up a small wood turning lathe to keep the sawdust out of the minilathe parts.

Daniel

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really into pens, but here's the one I have... a Tom Anderson Twister #57.. Custom machined Titanium with a tritium vial at the end.. :grin2:

tapen1.jpg

tapen2.jpg

tapen3.jpg

tapen4.jpg

iced_theater

Enlightened
The Jet was a good lathe, but it finally needed a couple new parts which were going to cost about the same as a brand new lathe....so I decided to get a cheaper mini lathe. I haven't yet tried it out yet though as I've been very busy these last couple of weeks.