Got my U2 back from Surefire today...

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to send my U2 into SF for repair, like I'm sure NOBODY here has had to before. ;-)

What I received back was the original tube with a new head and new cap. The head is slightly different than my original head: It has fewer dust particles inside, the donut is less pronounced, and the window is different. The new window is AR coated on the inside... I don't remember seeing this coating on my old U2's head. Also, when you switch the brightness levels, my old head would go dim when the selector was parked between brightness modes... new head does not do this. It switches instantly to the next level.

If all new U2s are like this I would consider the newer ones to be a better buy over the older ones...

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
AR coating on the inside of the window is a bonus. I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention that before.

Donut varies from one U2 to the next, regardless of whether they are old or new. I don't think any generalizations can be made here. I'd expect the distribution of dust particles to be somewhat random as well. The next one you get may very well be worse than either of your first two.

The brightness phenomenon during switch has been witnessed before. Here's a related thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104839

Size15's

Flashaholic
All SureFire's windows have AR coatings. Sometimes this coating is more evident than others. If the bezel was from stock then it is likely batch to batch variation. Some of my SureFires have very obvious AR coatings (purple-reflection at certain angles under certain lighting conditions).

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got it back better than when you sent it in. I have never owned a U2, but I still think it has the best level selection system of any light out there that I have owned or played with. It will be really nice if SF puts a next gen led in it some day (either rebel or cree).

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
woodrow said:
...I still think it has the best level selection system of any light out there that I have owned or played with...
I agree. I can't think of another multi-level light that lets you choose your desired level (low, high, or in between) before you turn it on.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ty_Bower said:
I agree. I can't think of another multi-level light that lets you choose your desired level (low, high, or in between) before you turn it on.

I agree, it's pretty unique and cool.

Scott.cr, how long did they have your light and why did they have it? Thanks.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot36 said:
Scott.cr, how long did they have your light and why did they have it?

I quoted Patriot because he asked both questions in a single post.

My U2 suddenly cut out on me one night. No warning. I sent it back to Surefire and they UPSed it (to my old address) about six weeks later.

See this thread for ALL of the details if you really want 'em... bottom line, the light failed and SF had it roughly six weeks.