4C Mag Power

Darien

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to complete my first mod ever and would like any suggestions or ideas on what to use for batteries? They will be pushing a WA1160 bulb through a KIU socket kit.

Darien

litho123

Enlightened
The 1160 would require 5 cells @ 1.2v each. I'm not sure if the sub-C cells would fit.

For the 4C, I would suggest using the 1185 with 3 of AW's new 3.7v li-Ion 'C' cells along with a spacer made up of the following parts:

1 - copper plumbing end cap
1 - button top from an old C battery.
Tape the button top to the end cap with electrical tape. Tape the sides of the end cap too. It is the perfect spacer.

I've been running the 1185 in my 4C and it is awesome!

Darien

Newly Enlightened
Litho123,

Thanks for the reply. I had about decided my questions are too stupid so I was gonna just keep reading and try and figure it out. I was happy just to get the socket installed. Well I was gonna wait on an 1185 mod later and figured I didn't need to get spoiled quick but sounds like the way to go, thanks again, I'm gonna try it.

Darien

Darien

Newly Enlightened
litho123 said:
along with a spacer made up of the following parts:

1 - copper plumbing end cap
1 - button top from an old C battery.
Tape the button top to the end cap with electrical tape. Tape the sides of the end cap too. It is the perfect spacer.

Your recipe worked fine, but, I got to thinking and put some pieces together and come up with something that works too. Appreciate the jumpstart.

Darien
Spacer.jpg

Spacer2.jpg

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litho,

How many Amps does the 1185 pull, and how many Lumens?

I was thinking about getting some of AW's new D's to run it.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Litho,

Only 3.3 amps? I was thinking it would pull more. That's less then the ROP Hi. I already have a ROP HI 2C with two AW C cells. Awesome light! Is there any advantage to the 1185 bulb over the ROP Hi?

I'd like to create a 3D M@G with three AW D cells 5000mAh, and a 100 Watt bulb that will pull ~10 amps. Now that would be kickin', 100 Watts for 30 mins in a 3D M@G. Any ideas on a bulb that would produce 100 watts from 11 volts?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
With a low resistance light you can get the 1185 to draw more current, and with regulation more still. I know I saw somewhere that it can run at 3.85 Amps. It also runs at a higher voltage than the ROP. It can run at over 40 Watts, and compared to the ROP at about 30 Watts it is definitely more powerful. The 1185 also has a smaller filament and bulb envelope, which allows more of the light to be harnessed for throw.

I am not aware of a bulb that could run 10A at 11V, but if you went with 4 Li-ion D cells you could run a 64625 at up to 116 Watts at 12.48 V and 9.3 A. Mine will be running within a week. :devil: To run this setup you need voltage regulation and a tailcap resistor.

You could run the 623 direct drive with 4 D Li-ion cells (14.4V), but it would be rather yellow. The 623 runs whiter with about 15.6V (13 Nimh cells). Still, it would be a fire starter!

BTW: AW has no plans to have Li-ion D cells produced AFAIK. JimmyM was trying to put together a group buy for some, but no one has stepped up to fund and run it yet. The only D cells ever made were the 300 from Emilion's group buy a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mud,

Thanks for the info.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I do the resistance fixes to a M@G running 3 Li-Ion cells at 11.1V, the 1185 will pull ~3.85A, producing ~40W, with a tighter focus? With 3 Li-ion C cells that's ~50 min runtime. Sweet! Looks like I may be getting a M@G 3C.

Do you have a link with info about the 4D beast you're building? I'm looking to build a 100W M@G myself. Though I was hoping to get away with a 3D, but a 4D will do.

My mistake. I don't know why I thought AW had Li-ion D cells. I do see Jimmy's thread looking for someone to run a GB though. Me Thinking! If they were protected cells, I might run it myself.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I won't swear that the 1185 will pull 3.85A for you, but it really is the bulb of choice for 3 AW C cells.

Here is a link to the 625 and discussion about how it compares to the 623 and the 138. I had forgotten about the 138, it is a really nice light and should be considered along with the others. The 138 uses an axial filament for a tighter spot and I *think* it doesn't need to be regulated with Nimh, but probably would with Li-ion.

Here is another link from JimmyM's Mag625 sales thread (his was a 6D monster) and in post #4 he shows beamshots of the 625 vs. the 138.

lexina

Enlightened
My 1185 pulls 3.4 - 3.5A from 3 of Aw's C LiIons in a Mag3C fitted with Aw's extender. 3 C NiMh can fit in a 2D if you remove the spring and deanodise the tail-cap but 3 of Aw's C LiIon is just a few mm too long. Don't know if it would fit if you move the switch upwards as far as it can go.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a WA1185 bulb in a M@G with low resistance and Li-ion C Cells instaflash?

litho123

Enlightened
Nitro asks:

Maybe ... :nana:

Folks have suggested waiting a minimum 3 - 6 hours after charging before you throw the switch and take-n-play.

I haven't had any go :poof: with the following method. I've waited longer by charging overnight and letting the cells rest during the day while I'm at work. This way they'll have had at least 9+ hours of rest before work. I wish I got that much rest each night before work! :crackup:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
litho123 said:
Nitro asks:

Maybe ... :nana:

Folks have suggested waiting a minimum 3 - 6 hours after charging before you throw the switch and take-n-play.

I haven't had any go :poof: with the following method. I've waited longer by charging overnight and letting the cells rest during the day while I'm at work. This way they'll have had at least 9+ hours of rest before work. I wish I got that much rest each night before work! :crackup:

What happens with Li-Ions resting that long regarding instaflashing? I understand it with NiMH, but I have not found much difference with Li-Ions sitting for a few hours after charging. I understood that they self discharge 5% over 24 hours, then stay steady....but let's say their charge terminates at 4.2V, that is still only 12.6V with 3 Li-Ion cells....seems with some remaining resistance that is still a reasonable range, no?

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may forgo the resistance fixes if I have to worry about breaking the bulb.

I second Lux's question, and put forth another. What causes the flash? Is it, because a surge of current greater then the running current, OR is it because the bulb cannot handle 4.2 x 3 volts?

If it's the first, then why not run a COIL in series in order to Limit Current spikes. If it's the second, why not charge the cells less then 4.2v. My Triton only charges them to 4.15v, according to my Fluke DMM.

Last edited: