Fenix L2D Just Died....

Confederate

Enlightened
I just got it yesterday, popped two charged AA batteries into it and it worked fine. Tested each mode. Then I removed the batteries to give them a full charge, and when that was done, I put it back in its case and put it away without checking it.

Once it had gotten dark, I decided to try it outside. But the flashlight just didn't respond. I cleaned the contact points on the flashlight and the batteries, then I tried a fresh set of alkaline AA batteries. Nothing!

BrightGuy.com is an outstanding dealer and they're rushing me a new light and a prepaid mailer for the return of the old one (how's that for service), but I wondered if any of you "bright" people might know what's wrong. I made sure everything was tight and as it should be. The only thing unusual is that the clickie switch seemed to be pushing the spring against the batteries. And the batteries seem to fit the tube rather loosely, but nothing that would cause problems.

It seems I've come across similar problems here. If anyone can recommend a fix, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
guessin the batteries were in backwards and you didnt notice it ...even as you removed the batteries you let it slide right out into your hand so you wouldnt know if they were in backwards or not

Cydonia

Enlightened
Another Fenix bites the dust :thinking:
Probably just had the batteries in backwards like qip said...

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
*sigh* sounds like what I did to mine... (btw, fenix store/4sevens = excellent service, a new head was shipped out to me even though I admitted it was my fault and I broke it!)

Do you get a small flicker of light with the batteries in the correct way?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the switch felt funny and the batteries seemed loose, that's a good indication that the batteries were probably backwards. Shame the dealers have to replace products based on user error, and it's also a shame these products don't have reverse polarity protection to begin with.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it happened to mine I was completely honest that it was my fault, and I was prepared to pay for a new head.

You are right, it is a shame that they don't have reverse polarity protection. As I've said before, all that is needed is a small raised plastic ring around the positive contact, so only the protruding part of the battery can touch it (it wont make contact if you put the battery in backwards).

Confederate

Enlightened
Nope, I'm a stickler for getting batteries (and ammunition) in right. And this was a AA; spring in the back. No mystery. And there's no light at all, no flicker even. When I push on the clicker, it feels "springy." Is there any way to remove that spring and switch assembly?

Learjet

Enlightened
A little off topic, but is the reverse polarity only a problem for the AA models? I notice that CR123 batteries have quite a raised insulating ring around the neg end and that the P2D/P3D positive contact stub in the head is not that raised.

I just checked out a few different batts and the Energizer CR123 has the deepest insulating ring of all. I suspect these will never make contact reverse polarity.

Rogerg

Newly Enlightened
I had the retaning ring for the switch back off on mine, after tightning it up again everything is ok. hope that is all that is wrong with yours. This is a great light!

Confederate

Enlightened
Aha! It was the retaining ring. Once I found out how to tighten it, it worked fine.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pair of circlip pliers in the two holes on the ring, or the more common needlenose pliers will work fine, too. A quick test to see if the problem lies in the tailcap is to leave it off, and short from the back of the battery to the edge of the battery tube, a small screwdriver usually will work. If it lights up, the problem is in the cap/switch for sure.

Hondo

HiltiHome

Enlightened
I do criticize, that there is no reverse polarity protection. Fenix could add a plastic ring, that would do the job and costs them 2 cents.

Even if only the retaining ring is loose, i do criticize the poor QC.

I also do criticize, that Fenix lights have a wide variation of tint, while they are sold at fixed premium price....

Confederate

Enlightened
From the number of people who complain about the loose retaining ring, it must cost Fenix a lot of money in returns. Their instruction manuals are pathetic and I've never heard about the problems with tints.

The L2Ds are fine flashlights, but I think I prefer the P2D over all of them. The "high" setting is brilliant, and the lower settings are great for reading or looking at a watch in the middle of the night or other uses not requiring a lot of light. Plus it doesn't ruin your night vision.

The SOS also could be a bit faster.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, the loose retaining ring just bit me last week. :shakehead

Tightened it "pretty tight" when i got it, less than 4 months ago.

This time, when i replaced the batteries, the flashlight simply wouldn't work.

The ring was very, VERY loose !

Fortunately, i was at home, where my needle-nose pliers reside. :)

Otherwise, it woulda' been "Outta' Commission" until my return. :sick:

Love my L2D-CE. Just gotta' get into the habit of checking that retaining ring periodically.

Be advised. And remember: One is none, and Two are one.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggest the topic starter change the name of the topic, to:

... Died? Reverse polarity kills; loose retaining ring fixable

or something like that -- make this info easy to find! It ought to be in the reviews as cautionary info.

Spordin

Enlightened
Do the same problems exist with the L1D? (Loose retainer pin, reverse polarity)

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the same problems exist with the L1D? (Loose retainer pin, reverse polarity)
Yes, but the retaining ring works itself loose when you remove the tailcap to change batteries. The only answer would be to locktite it down ,but then you wouldn't be able to change tailcap covers or the switch if you had a malfunctioning one.

Spordin

Enlightened
Thanks.

How about reverse polarity? If the L1D CE AA battery is accidentally inserted backasswards, can it fry something?

Last edited:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Nice point Steve along with Hondo...jus got a l1p myself...very impressed with it compared to many other lights I've owned and it operates on AA's ,what a gas...What's the best AA's to run in this e2's,rechargeable?:thinking:The Dr scoll pad sounds like a fool proof method for the thread holder tho...Glad they have forums like this and happy to be a part of it,thanx.:twothumbs