HELP OUT A NOOB????

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Hello I'm Larry and I'm brand new here. I'm not a flashlight guy, a flashaholic or whatever it's called. But I am a dyed-in-the-wool gadget freak. I'd never owned a quality flashlight, but I decided I was tired of cheap flashlights and wanted a quality piece. Knowing less than nothing, I did some surfing and read a lot of material and came across the Eternalights. I finally bought an Eternalight Ergo 3 X-ray. I got it and immediately loved it. It's great for inside the house, emergencies (power outage, etc.), signalling, breakdowns (to mark my position on the side of the road) and other tasks.

But . . . . I was greatly disappointed in its lack of power to throw a beam at long distances. It's fine for around the house or close proximity tasks, but pitiful for any distance. I decided I needed to add another one, this one for long distance only. So I went back to the search . . . . . . .

After a lot of looking I decided on a Fenix P3D CE in black. I wanted a rather small (pocketable) light with real reaching power and without a $200.00 price tag. I was surprised to find a flashlight so small with this kind of throw power (claiming 160 lumens). And that Fenix's larger flashlights (some of them) actually had less power.

So now I have the Eternalight 3 X-ray, and the Fenix P3D CE (the Fenix arrives tomorrow). Here's my questions:

1. Did I blow it? Or could I have done better for the money? Are these selections from a total noob anywhere near good choices?

2. Do the Eternalights live up to the promises of reliability and long run time?

3. Will the Fenix blow away the X-ray in power out at a distance?

4. Can I do better than the Fenix for a small light with a long throw?

5. Is the claim of 160 lumens on the P3D CE real world accurate?

6. And most important - Does the P3D eat batteries? And if I go to recharargables will I suffer a loss in power (throw) and/or burn time?

I know I'm new and have no standing to be asking for help, but I'm hoping you'll help a guy who's in over his head. I wish I would have found the forums before I made my purchases.

Thanks,

Larry
modify_inline.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Larry, and welcome to CPF.

I have no knowledge of the Eternalight, but I do own a P3D CE, and it's a terrific little light. For the money, its output, small size, nice user interface, and versatility are hard to beat. Its output on turbo is impressive. I run mine on 2 protected RCR123A cells, and have been very pleased. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you will be quite happy... You can get rechargeable RCR123A (I think that is what they are called) and they will run in the P3D-CE very nicely (although they may not last quite as long as the primary cells).

You can look for the P3D Fenix review by ChevroFreak and see runtimes (basically, for two CR123A Lithium batteries, from ~1.8 or so hours on "Turbo" to over 55 hours on low). This family of "D"-CE Fenix lights has one of the best "light per battery" ratio out there right now.

There is the LED flashlight forum, and a flashlight review forum where you can get more exact information about this and other LED lights. There is also a Battery forum if you want to go down that $$hole$$ too. :broke:

You will see lots of discussions about Lumen, Lux, throw, flood, heat, batteries and such until your eyes glaze over...

My two cents, just sit back and get to know your new light and after using it a bit read/post around here regarding the different qualities you may be more interested in (more throw, runtime, ruggedness, special purpose, smaller, larger, etc.).

The Eternal Light has always been a good, long battery life, and reliable light for multipurpose use. But, it was never intended for throw or brightness in and of itself.

You have not blown anything at all--you have used your resources wisely. The two lights you have well represent the "small/high function" side of the Flashlight world. And you will know better how to proceed better from this point forward.

-Bill

PS: I should probably add--if you are new to LED/Electronic Flashlights--Most are polarity sensitive and you can easily smoke them if you install the battery backwards... Many (not all) lights do include some sort of reverse polarity (i.e., blocking diode) protection--and other may include a physical protection (i.e., a small slot or hole where only the "nub" of the battery can extend through)...

Unfortunately, the Fenix P3D (and others Fenix models too, I believe) do not have any polarity protection at all... So, make sure you pay attention to which end of the battery faces towards the head ("+" in the case of the Fenix lights).

A few others have the negative contact facing the head--so please be careful during battery changes (or if you kids get a hold of the lights and decide to "clean them" for you).

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
I don't think you blew it. A lot of people around CPF's have and love their fenix's. Heck, I even nearly got one of their 2AA model myself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how bright it will be on high. As for how it'll eat batteries; that will depend on how much you use it and at which level you use it.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!! You did fine with the Fenix. They are hard to beat for the price! I don't have the P3D-CE but I do have the P2D-CE Q2 and it's one of my favorite lights...:wave:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thing xray looks like a bunch of 5mm leds like 4 protons pushed pretty hard which should give a nice flood but when you get the P3d it should blow you away , it would out throw it and you may even like it better for indoor use and heres its runtime graph , its better on regular cr123 batteries you buy in stores rather than rechargables but obviously you can recharge the rcr123 to save money

jbosman1013

Enlightened
now you need a surefire like a G2 or a 6P and play legos. you made a good choice with the fenix I have played with a few and really liked them. The 160lm output is emiter lumens the light you see is torch lumens, at flashlightreviews the torch lumens were rated at 125.1 on the P3D-CE. hope this helps and welcome to CPF:grin2:

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much guys, great info, I'm saving all of it.

I guess even a blind squirrel will find a nut sometimes. I couldn't be dumber on the subject of flashlights . . . . but the more I read the forum the more i keep getting this strange feeling to buy a couple more flashlights . . . hmmmm. The P3D arrives tomorrow, looking forward to giving it a test run.

Thanks again, Larry

GregWormald

Enlightened
Whatever you do Larry--do not play and experiment with the Fenix! This and other 'high-end' lights are highly addictive and any sort or contact, especially by someone who is as susceptable as a "gadget freak" will only result in flashoholism and eventual poverty!
When it arrives my advice is to leave it wrapped up--do not open!!--and re-address immediately to me. I'll take care of all the bad that will come, I'm already addicted :-(
Greg

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
" . . . . do not open!!--and re-address immediately to me."

That sounds like good advice Greg - I've already got several terminal addictions! Help me, Help me, please!

" . . . . now you need a surefire like a G2 or a 6P"

Are you joking I checked 'em out and they sound pretty similar to the P3D. I'd think if I buy another it would be something different . . . . like maybe a much larger one with mucho power and throw . . . maybe one like the fire starter . . . . or maybe one I could shine back at the traffic cop . . . . "Mine's bigger than your's officer".

Starting to feel like quicksand around here.

Thanks guys - Larry

jbosman1013

Enlightened
it may be similar but playing legos is different many options for bulbs like lumens factory for incan light or one of the many led drop-in's out there plus its a surefire

Windscale

Enlightened
Hi, Larry, and welcome to CPF.

I have no knowledge of the Eternalight, but I do own a P3D CE, and it's a terrific little light. For the money, its output, small size, nice user interface, and versatility are hard to beat. Its output on turbo is impressive. I run mine on 2 protected RCR123A cells, and have been very pleased. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I am also interested in getting the P3D CE. Please tell me if you are using 3.0v or 3.6v protected RCR123As. I am in the process of going 100% rechargeable and will only buy new lights when I am sure they will work with rechargeables. Thanks.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will get you started for bigger and brighter
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-20-40-87-6185
and buy this with it: http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6265
" . . . . do not open!!--and re-address immediately to me."

That sounds like good advice Greg - I've already got several terminal addictions! Help me, Help me, please!

" . . . . now you need a surefire like a G2 or a 6P"

Are you joking I checked 'em out and they sound pretty similar to the P3D. I'd think if I buy another it would be something different . . . . like maybe a much larger one with mucho power and throw . . . maybe one like the fire starter . . . . or maybe one I could shine back at the traffic cop . . . . "Mine's bigger than your's officer".

Starting to feel like quicksand around here.

Thanks guys - Larry

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also interested in getting the P3D CE. Please tell me if you are using 3.0v or 3.6v protected RCR123As. I am in the process of going 100% rechargeable and will only buy new lights when I am sure they will work with rechargeables. Thanks.

Here is a thread that is dedicated to the P3D and rechargeable batteries... But the short answer is yes, either will work, use the 3.6v protected RCR123A's because the light will work to at least 8.4volts (will work higher, but not guaranteed).

-Bill

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

BB is quite right. I use the 3.6v variety in mine.

savumaki

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

One thing you will find is that NOTHING is cast in concrete- just like computers- good today but gone tomorrow.
Well maybe not that bad but "better and brighter" keep popping up.
Fenix is excellent (no one model suits all needs)- I own five and have owned six others (I keep losing them to friends that just "can't" do w/o such a light)

I also own several Surefires and use them all.

Buy what suits YOUR needs.

Good luck

Karl

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Do the 3.6v batteries give more power (throw) or longer run times than the 3v?

And am I understanding that the 3.6's are safe to use in the P3D?

Are there any other ways to soup up the P3D that a noob can perform?

And one more . . . .

Are the components in the head factory sealed? I don't see a way to remove the (head) components after I screw the head off the body.

Thanks - Larry

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, 2xCR123A 3.6 volt batteries are save to use in the P3D body/head. They are even sold by the www.fenix-store.com site.

In theory, any battery set that is between about 4.2 and 8.4 volts (actually, may run upwards of 16volts--but do so at your own risk) will give you exactly the same light output on the P3D.

The only issue is that the rechargeable batteries have less capacity (the 3.0 volt batteries probably even give less time on the light).

To look inside of the XxD head, take a look at this thread. Not exactly mod-friendly.

-Bill

Windscale

Enlightened
Yes, 2xCR123A 3.6 volt batteries are save to use in the P3D body/head. They are even sold by the www.fenix-store.com site.

In theory, any battery set that is between about 4.2 and 8.4 volts (actually, may run upwards of 16volts--but do so at your own risk) will give you exactly the same light output on the P3D.

The only issue is that the rechargeable batteries have less capacity (the 3.0 volt batteries probably even give less time on the light).

To look inside of the XxD head, take a look at this thread. Not exactly mod-friendly.

-Bill

Despite of the above observations, I was unable to find any info to the effect that the P3D CE is regulated to 8.4v. I may have missed something. If so please point out where it is. Also I went to look at the box of the P3D CE and it is stated "Use two CR123A batteries". I will email Fenix to find out more.