UltraFire Li-Ion better after third charge.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
I was a little disappointed with the color of ROP/LO running on 2x18650 protected UltraFires.Too yellow.After the third and now into the fourth recharge the light has whitened up considerably.I had not noticed this when using AW cells they were white from the beginning.Anyone know the reason for this?

Andy

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Andy,

Li-Ion cells usually don't benefit or improve from charge/discharge cycling. The exception is when they are used at high currents, like above 5C, or if they have been stored for a long time.

Of course a protected cell has a protection circuit that may have "issues..."

Tom

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.Thanks Tom.Possibly my cells were sitting around for a long time before I bought them? I hope that's it.Don't like the sound of protection circuit "issues".

Andy

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup sitting around. i say li-ion DOES benefit from a few cycles when its has been unused for a long time, like say 6 months or more.
totally fresh looking acting cells dont get doodley more from being cycled, but old crusty ones, parked and unused will get lots more capacity for a few cycles.
and quite possibly certain Manufactures cells are worse or better for this.

and when i say capacity, i just mean capacity to some voltage cutoff point, under a load. so the issue is, what it always is, with the other rechargables , the voltage depression under load.
its just takes longer, its "relative to the self discharge of the cell" thats what i say, and i am stinking by it :)
i bet the same battery that acts like it needs more cycling, is the same battery that doesnt hold the charge for as long.

so say you have a 1C load, and a cutoff of 2.5v the battery cant maintain the voltage at that current and it reaches the cutoff and stops.
after a few cycles , it can easier maintain the load, so it doesnt reach the 2.4v cutoff as quickly , so it seems to have more runtime or capacity.

Last edited:

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi VidPro,

Good points all.I have not tested runtime to the cutoff point yet.Could well be a manufacturing issue.On the initial charge it took nearly twice as long as on a brand new pair of AW cells.I did not test either one with a volt meter before charging.I guess the factory under charges the UltraFires before shipping.

Andy