Acebeam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37

Thread: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,901

    Thinking THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    It might sound like a stupid title, but i am trying to get a idea of how much it cost around the world.

    most people have to buy it every day or so, unless your lactose intolerant.

    In the UK, at most supermarkets it`s £1.34 for 4 pint container of milk, thats approx $2.68, but my local corner shop sells it for £0.89 for the same 4 pints.

    A lot of supermarket, are being accused of fixing the price.

    I just want to see if were being ripped off in the UK.

    thanks

    John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    5,886

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    About $2.29 for half a gallon here. The price of milk went up ridiculously recently. It was about $2.59 a gallon two years ago. Given the price lately, I just buy half-and-half by the pints for about $1. Tastes better in coffee. That's about the only thing I use milk for anyway these days.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Hi.

    I love eating breakfast cereal with milk at anytime of day, also just as a drink.

    But 4 pints, last about a day at most.

    so i have given up cereal and now don't buy milk at all, as it is too expensive.

    I just use powdered milk in my coffey.

    HAVE THE COWS GONE ON STRIKE OR WHAT!!

    regards

    John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* MarNav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,156

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Don't buy it at all, its one of the worst things you can drink. Check out notmilk.com, you wont drink it again (cows milk). There are other kinds that are ok. What does this have to do with price you say? Because they have alot of folks conned into believing that "it does a body good" which is a flat lie. I dont want to derail this thread but do some research and check the facts for yourself. I used to love cereal myself but the milk isn't good for you.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Hi.

    I just had a search for the longest lifespans in the world the results are below.

    according to the info below, their is only approx 5 years between US life expectancy at 77.9 years and the highest in the world at 83.5 years.

    I will admit that i only did a two second search, but milk dose not appear to affect life expectancy by that much!!!.

    regards

    John.



    Where Do People Live The Longest?

    U.S. Life Expectancy Rises, Still Not The Longest

    POSTED: 11:37 am CDT September 13, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:03 pm CDT September 13, 2007


    ATLANTA -- U.S. life expectancy has inched up to 77.9 years from the previous record, 77.8, recorded for 2004. The increase was more dramatic in contrast with 1995, when life expectancy was 75.8, and 1955, when it was 69.6. The new data was released Wednesday in a report by the National Center for Health Statistics. A final report will be released later, and the numbers may change a little. "If death rates from certain leading causes of death continue to decline, we should continue to see improvements in life expectancy," said study co-author Hsiang-Ching Kung, in a prepared statement. Researchers also noted continued differences by race and sex. Life expectancy for whites in 2005 was 78.3, the same as in 2004. Black life expectancy rose from 73.1 in 2004 to 73.2 in 2005, but it was still nearly five years less than the white figure. Life expectancy for women continues to be five years longer than for men, the report also found. The United States continues to lag behind at least 40 other nations. Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, has the longest life expectancy, at 83.5 years, according to a U.S. Census Bureau analysis of 2004 international data. It was followed by Japan, Macau (which is part of China), San Marino and Singapore. Also in the report, heart disease and stroke - the No. 1 and No. 3 killers – killed fewer people nationwide in 2005 than 2004. But deaths from the No. 2 cause, cancer, rose to about 559,000 from 554,000, according to the report.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* LEDninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    4,892

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    I am lactose intolerant and I pay $3 for a 1L carton of the Lactaid treated stuff. I think regular milk is $2. I usually go through 2 cartons in a week.

  7. #7
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    5,886

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Don't buy it at all, its one of the worst things you can drink. Check out notmilk.com, you wont drink it again (cows milk). There are other kinds that are ok. What does this have to do with price you say? Because they have alot of folks conned into believing that "it does a body good" which is a flat lie. I dont want to derail this thread but do some research and check the facts for yourself. I used to love cereal myself but the milk isn't good for you.
    That's one of the reasons I only have it in my coffee. Unfortunately, milk is used in many of the things we eat, so removing it completely from the diet would be next to impossible.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    I think a nice glass of cold full fat milk, is absolutely fantastic.

    supposedly a lot of oriental people are lactose intolerant.

    regards

    John.


    Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    I am lactose intolerant and I pay $3 for a 1L carton of the Lactaid treated stuff. I think regular milk is $2. I usually go through 2 cartons in a week.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

  9. #9

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    It might sound like a stupid title, but i am trying to get a idea of how much it cost around the world.

    most people have to buy it every day or so, unless your lactose intolerant.

    In the UK, at most supermarkets it`s £1.34 for 4 pint container of milk, thats approx $2.68, but my local corner shop sells it for £0.89 for the same 4 pints.

    A lot of supermarket, are being accused of fixing the price.

    I just want to see if were being ripped off in the UK.

    thanks

    John.
    I think the price of Milk is quite a bit higher in the UK than in the U.S. I live in Upstate NY and pay roughly 3.39 per gallon for Price Chopper brand milk. If you want to be a real bargain shopper you can buy the Save A Lot brand for a few cents less but I personally don't.

    Up until around 6 months ago you could buy a gallon for $1.99 at Stewarts gas stations. They also gave a free gallon after buying 10 gallons of Milk.

  10. #10
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    5,886

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    ATLANTA -- U.S. life expectancy has inched up to 77.9 years from the previous record, 77.8, recorded for 2004. The increase was more dramatic in contrast with 1995, when life expectancy was 75.8, and 1955, when it was 69.6. The new data was released Wednesday in a report by the National Center for Health Statistics. A final report will be released later, and the numbers may change a little. "If death rates from certain leading causes of death continue to decline, we should continue to see improvements in life expectancy," said study co-author Hsiang-Ching Kung, in a prepared statement. Researchers also noted continued differences by race and sex. Life expectancy for whites in 2005 was 78.3, the same as in 2004. Black life expectancy rose from 73.1 in 2004 to 73.2 in 2005, but it was still nearly five years less than the white figure. Life expectancy for women continues to be five years longer than for men, the report also found. The United States continues to lag behind at least 40 other nations. Andorra, a tiny country in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain, has the longest life expectancy, at 83.5 years, according to a U.S. Census Bureau analysis of 2004 international data. It was followed by Japan, Macau (which is part of China), San Marino and Singapore. Also in the report, heart disease and stroke - the No. 1 and No. 3 killers – killed fewer people nationwide in 2005 than 2004. But deaths from the No. 2 cause, cancer, rose to about 559,000 from 554,000, according to the report.
    Given all the advances in medicine, this life expectancy seems horribly low. After all, there were some cities in the Roman Empire where life expectancy was 70 years in a time where medicine barely existed. It appears all medical advances have done is to compensate for a basically unhealthy lifestyle, not prolong life. I read several things which suggest that in the absence of preventable causes of death like heart disease and cancer, average lifespan would be closer to 100 years than to 80. It seems even the countries with the longest lifespans still have plenty of room for improvement.

    The lower US figures don't surprise me. After all, we're addicted to fast foods. In many places people can't walk to run their errands. The air is loaded with carcinogens from autos and airplanes. I'm sure plastic food containers aren't helping either. Neither is a medical establishment that pushes pills for every ill instead of lifestyle changes.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* MarNav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,156

    Sssh Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    That's one of the reasons I only have it in my coffee. Unfortunately, milk is used in many of the things we eat, so removing it completely from the diet would be next to impossible.
    I know it, along with many other things too unfortunately. I like milk too don't get me wrong but it just isn't worth it to me (cows milk).

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    $5~6 for 4L here. One of the things I miss about living in Arkansas is dairy stuff are so cheap.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* AlexGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,639

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    US $3.50 / Gal. in Houston
    Last edited by AlexGT; 11-12-2007 at 09:45 PM.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,266

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    AU$3.47/US$3 for 2L here.
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas, USA
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Sent my daughter to the store this evening for a gallon of milk. Gave her $20 and didn't get any change.
    Sooo, I have to assume that milk is $20 per gallon...
    Runtime be damned

  16. #16

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    $5 - 6 CDN for 4 liters in most small stores , $3.75 - 4.50 CDN for 4liters in the large supermarkets.

    Vancouver
    MY EDC: JETBEAM M1X - it replaced 8 other lights.

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushman5 View Post
    $5 - 6 CDN for 4 liters in most small stores , $3.75 - 4.50 CDN for 4liters in the large supermarkets.

    Vancouver
    Even milk is cheaper outside quebec.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* lctorana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,113

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    In the UK, at most supermarkets it`s £1.34 for 4 pint container of milk, thats approx $2.68, but my local corner shop sells it for £0.89 for the same 4 pints.
    In Australia, 4 pints of milk would cost £1.80 in a supermarket, and well over £2.00 in a bakery or what you would call an off-licence.

    But that's UK pricing for you. Real basics, like milk, bread, etc, are really cheap over there by world standards. But go to a UK restaurant and your pound goes nowhere.

    Look on the bright side. You wouldn't want to be shopping in Norway...

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Hehe try to buy cigarettes in UK you'll sure quit at $11.00 for a pack (20cigarettes) for Marlboro's heheh a day pass in the metro of london costs about the same, what a shame

  20. #20

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
    Even milk is cheaper outside quebec.
    ya but you guys have cheap booze and pipe tobacco!!!
    MY EDC: JETBEAM M1X - it replaced 8 other lights.

  21. #21

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    $3.39USD/gal, 2%

    Got Biodiesel?

  22. #22
    * The Arctic Moderator * Sigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    "The 49th State"
    Posts
    10,123

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by mckevin View Post
    Sent my daughter to the store this evening for a gallon of milk. Gave her $20 and didn't get any change.
    Sooo, I have to assume that milk is $20 per gallon...
    Sounds like my sons, they must know your daughter! Is that a reflection on us as parents?!

    Milk in Anchorage averages $4 a gallon...
    -"Must control self"-
    ....

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* PhantomPhoton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    3,109

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Don't buy it at all, its one of the worst things you can drink. Check out notmilk.com, you wont drink it again (cows milk). There are other kinds that are ok. What does this have to do with price you say? Because they have alot of folks conned into believing that "it does a body good" which is a flat lie. I dont want to derail this thread but do some research and check the facts for yourself. I used to love cereal myself but the milk isn't good for you.
    mmmmhmmm and that is of course why milk is served to athletes at the US Olympic Training Center. They're an incredibly unhealthy bunch! It's not like those athletes are monitored by some of the best nutrition and science people in the world.

    Milk... not from crap fed, hormone injected mutant cows mind you... is better for your average human than most other things you'll find out there. Chocolate Milk (not the HFCF cheap junk) is one of the best recovery drinks you can take after a workout.
    Are there things out there better for you than milk? Yes. Is there milk out there that you shouldn't drink? Yup. Should you as a consumer be aware of what you're taking into your body? Definitely. Are there people who have problems with milk in general, in some specific cases cows milk? Yes. But labeling all cows' milk as bad is a naive point of view.
    Humans have lived on animal (non human) milk for thousands of years. It is a staple diet of many cultures, and a few cultures subsist on almost nothing but milk and milk products. More recent problems with hormones and unhealthy cows due to corporate greed should not make people avoid milk completely. It just shows how lacking some are in genuine information and proper education.


    ... oh and while I can sometimes find good sales of organic certified milk for $1 per 1/2 Gallon, It is more common to be $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon around here.
    Last edited by PhantomPhoton; 11-13-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added response to OP
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* MarNav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,156

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    There's alot of flies that don't believe in flyswatters too. But anyhow to answer the question about $3 a gallon here.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* WNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Arrid Zone-Ah, USA
    Posts
    714

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    I found milk prices vary by quire a lot around here.
    In Boston it's always more expensive. Cross the river into Cambridge and it's quite cheaper in the same supermarket chain.
    I believe the local city governments are taking their piece of the action out of us consumers.

    Boston: $4.29 /gallon
    Cambridge: 3.59-3.79 for same gallon.

    Go to the Target store in Cambridge and you find milk from NY State, that sells for $2.59 /gallon! But it once spiked to $3.89.

    Note:
    I also noticed milk prices in Quebec, CDN are much higher. So was juice, cereals, grains, pastas.
    But fruits/vegetables, pork, cheeses and bread are much cheaper.
    Go figure!

    Seems all the unhealthy junk in the USA supermarkets are always on sale, while healthy foods were costly.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

  26. #26
    Flashaholic Valolammas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    62.2ºN, 25.7ºE
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    1.15€/liter of organic milk here in Finland. Can't remember how much regular milk is, probably something like 0.70€/l.

    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but gasoline costs 1.379€/liter here so we are waiting for someone to invent a car that runs on milk.


  27. #27
    Flashaholic* PEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires / Argentina (I like ribs)
    Posts
    3,551

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    1 US gallon = 3.7854118 liter

    Supermarket prices in Buenos Aires/Argentina

    Top brand/quality milk refrigerated sachet one liter=$0.51 ($1.93 gallon)
    Top brand/quality milk refrigerated tetrapak one liter=$0.73 ($2.76 gallon)

    Less known brands are around 3/4 of that price


    Pablo

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* PEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires / Argentina (I like ribs)
    Posts
    3,551

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Don't buy it at all, its one of the worst things you can drink. Check out notmilk.com, you wont drink it again (cows milk). There are other kinds that are ok. What does this have to do with price you say? Because they have alot of folks conned into believing that "it does a body good" which is a flat lie. I dont want to derail this thread but do some research and check the facts for yourself. I used to love cereal myself but the milk isn't good for you.
    You are providing a disservice by saying that milk is bad for the health, in fact milk is so good that some of we humans developed a mutation around 7000 years ago to tolerate it after the lactancy period.

    This is a fact many ignore (or choose to ignore) and then they use the example of mammals that after the lactancy period never drinks milk again...


    Pablo

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* LEDninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    4,892

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I think a nice glass of cold full fat milk, is absolutely fantastic.

    supposedly a lot of oriental people are lactose intolerant.

    regards

    John.
    What happened to full fat milk?

    When I was a kid, milk came in bottles with the fat on top.
    Then came homogenized milk with 3.5% fat.
    Skim milk was 2% fat.

    Now I see 2%, 1%, or skim (0%?) on the store shelves. What do they do with all the fat they removed. The milk does not taste like it used to.

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* TinderBox (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    south shields, england, united kingdom
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Re: THE PRICE OF MILK AROUND THE WORLD

    Hi.

    In the UK, we have full fat, semi-skimmed and full skimmed milk, and they are all the same price, so what happens to all the fat they skim off, does it go to make butter and the like.

    When i was at school, we use to get little glass bottles of milk every day!

    And the cream at the top of the bottle was the best bit.

    regards

    John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •