Carley 1499

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Is there a replacement for the impossible to find Carley 1499? Something close to the same output, or something brighter than the stock TL3 bulb.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hoarding two of the 1499H (halogen) lamps, unused. They're potted, not bi-pin. In the spirit of CPF, it's time I passed them on to someone who actually will use them...no fellow hoarders, please.

So: Is it the potted kind you want? Or do you need the bi-pins?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hoarding two of the 1499H (halogen) lamps, unused. They're potted, not bi-pin. In the spirit of CPF, it's time I passed them on to someone who actually will use them...no fellow hoarders, please.

So: Is it the potted kind you want? Or do you need the bi-pins?
I am in the same boat. I recently bought a Streamlight TL-3, and reading several posts about it made me want to hotwire it using a 1499 bulb. I have a couple of AW 17500 batteries on the way, and I need a bulb. Unfortunately for me, I'm a noob, and I'm note sure if I need a potted or bi-pin. It sounds like from some of the posts I read, the TL-3 needs a potted bulb, but someone who knows more may enlighten me.

If it takes a potted bulb, I'd love to take one of those off your hands. I've heard it puts out close to 375 lumens with a 1499 and 17500 batteries! :naughty:

Also, for the longer term like ADDICTED2LITE I would like to know where to get replacement better-than-stock bulbs for it.

Last edited:

supes

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. Just got a SL TL3 in a trade and researched other options, discovering the holy Carley 1499 bulbs custom by litho. I was so excitied and blinded that I posted "I'll take it!" on some 1499 that were potted even though I needed bi pins. :laughing:

I'm definitely watching for the next Groupbuy from Litho.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the outputs of a cl 1499 less than a h1499? I understand that the cl 1499 xenon fog up and are not as white. Is this correct???

lebox97

Enlightened
"cl 1499 xenon"
info here
"A CPF member suggested to halogen fill the 1499 to give us a cleaner bulb over it's life. Another member suggested to lower the filament so that it can be used in the "Hotwire" Minimags on 2x14500 PROtected cells (by AW). These will also work in Fivemega's 2 Pila 168A Stinger mod as well as the Streamlight TL-3 too!"

and here (halogen)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What is the big deal with halogen lamps?
A Halogen Lamp is a Gas Filled Llamp using Argon, Krypton or Xenon which has a small amount of Halogen gas inside of it. The Halogen gas acts as a "Cleaning Solution" inside of the lamp. This keeps the inside of the lamp clean enabling all of the light the filament produces to shine out of the lamp. A Dirty Lamp traps some of the filament's light inside of the lamp itself. The addition of the Halogen gas is an extra step in producing the lamp. This is why Halogen Lamps cost more than regular Gas Filled Lamps."

[/FONT] if I had some potted ones - I'd probably try to UNpot them (carefully to not break the leads) so I could use 'em?

Last edited: