• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph Mule McClickie - LE Donor Options?

coldass

Newly Enlightened
As I wait for the 3-stage LE's to become available from the 'Shoppe' for my new Aleph Mule McClickie (just ordered and paid for from Don), I was wondering if I could adapt an LE from a lower cost, Cree CR123 light donor, such as those common on DealXtreme, Kaidomain, Battery Source etc.. Even a Fenix? You know the ones.... $10-$60 1xCR123/Cree/P4 multi or single stage lights.

To save on some trial and error, can anyone suggest a suitable 'donor' - that is available without trolling the markets or ebay, and would be easy for a newbie?

Or, am I thinking the wrong way in even thinking a possible donor exists?

As you can see from my post count I am new to Candlepower. I have been studying for some time - which led me to buy the Mule as my first flashlight project - but I need some help? Yours is appreciated.

....I have built my own DYI 3xCree Q5, bFlex bike light w/12V Li-on.

Coldie.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if I could adapt an LE from a lower cost, Cree CR123 light donor

This is not really an option for an Aleph Light engine. The LE's are a screw-in type that are not compatible with any low cost lights that I have ever run across. You can, however, buy a LE kit or XRE can from the shop and transplant electronics and emitters into that. It might be tough to find one that has electronics small enough to fit (0.55" I believe). If you wanted to do it really cheap, just get a XRE Can and emitter board and skip the electronics. I have a LE with an old Lux III that I blew the electronics on, and I sometimes just run it direct drive in the Aleph mule.

schiesz

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Or post a "WTB LuxIII Aleph LE" in the Custom B/S/T forum - I betcha you'd get a bit on that. :shrug: There are TONS out there! :thumbsup:

Good luck! :)
john

coldass

Newly Enlightened
The LE's are a screw-in type that are not compatible with any low cost lights that I have ever run across. You can, however, buy a LE kit or XRE can ....

schiesz

Yes I guessed that the 'screw' might be the challenge hence seeking experience. I am not surprised that the LE kit/can might be a requirement to make any donor useful. Thanks.

coldass

Newly Enlightened
Or post a "WTB LuxIII Aleph LE" in the Custom B/S/T forum - I betcha you'd get a bit on that. :shrug: There are TONS out there! :thumbsup:

Good luck! :)
john

Thanks - I was hoping to tinker a bit - hence why I got the Mule and do want the 3-stage GDup for the longer term. I might buy an LE kit and try that first and see what I can make fit.