Can these Eneloops be trusted?

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Hi, after everybody talking how much the Eneloops are good, I decided to try them. I currently use Sony 2500mAh NiMH AAs, but I haven't seen how much they self discharge. Since I don't have a charger that measures the mAh, I'll just charge one and let it sit and test the voltage every day with a multimeter.

In www.batteryjunction.com the 4-pack Eneloops cost US$12, but the shipping costs US$21 to Brazil. Too expensive.

I found Eneloops on www.dealextreme.com for R$17.95 a 4-pack with free shipping. About half the price from batteryjunction.com for me.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6807

Are these genuine and can be trusted, since www.dealextreme.com is a chinese store?

Are there any other LSD AAs that has more than 2000mAh power? Isn't 2000mAh too little compared to the other 2500/2700mAh brands?

Thank you guys.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can they be trusted?

Short answer: don't know.

Long answer:

The retail price for Eneloops is $14-$18 when not discounted. Those are in that range.

I bought a pack of 4 Eneloops in Tokyo that came in a package that looked just like that (except my package was produced for the Japanese domestic market and labeled in Japanese rather than Chinese). See here for pictures.

So on balance, the price and packaging are consistent with the genuine product.

Bonky

Banned
While DX has an ok reputation, I wouldn't get batteries shipped from outside your country unless they're a GREAT deal.

Ziemas

Enlightened
While DX has an ok reputation, I wouldn't get batteries shipped from outside your country unless they're a GREAT deal.
For those of us outside the US, it usually IS a great deal to order from outside of our countries. I'm not paying $30 for four AA batteries at the local store.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when "testing" cells just by measuring the voltage, You should also put a load at the cell the same time. Else the data is useless.

PS: make it easier --> USE the cells.
just put into whatever gadget and take the time it runs.
(slows down the whole process, as they have to be recharged and then the self-discharge time starts again ...
but my normal Ni-Mhs are so bad by now - even one day after charging they suck. At multicell application, the chance to get some bummers is very high.
Out of my precharged cells (Eneloop and Uniross Hybrio) not a single one is bad. With the normal Ni-Mhs, one out of a 4-cell pack being next to useless, is an average "value" I have encountered)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracell Pre Charged MADE IN JAPAN are supposed to be the same battery as the Eneloop. You may have better luck finding them locally.
http://www.duracell.com/ca/precharged/en/default.asp

That's a very good point -

The made in Japan with white top surrounding the +ve button Duracell Pre-Charged are confirmed rebadged eneloops - nicknamed by CPF as "Dura-Loop".

see Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeables - Buyer Advisory ...

White top surrounds -
Duraloop_ends2.jpg

Made in Japan
DuraLoop_sz2.jpg

If you notice the Duracell shoulder is slightly lower and the +ve button slightly longer than my earlier/older eneloop - dated 06-10.

The DuraLoops are also similarly dated (? - embossed on the clear wrapping, but not in the same format) as "7G05" (2007/July/05)

(note: later eneloops - from about 11/2006 on - called "eneloop-R" (link) in other parts of the world - due to the addition of the "R" - registered trademark sign on the end of the name, are lower shouldered with longer +ve buttons)

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
while on the dura-loop subject, have you kept the packaging? And compare barcodes?
The first numbers indicate country of origin and manufacturer code I think....

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not not keep my packaging.
If you look at UnknownVT's picture, above the word DURACELL in the small print it is labelled MADA IN JAPAN.

Check for that as Duracell also sells MADE IN CHINA batteries. The CHINA is in the same spot as the word JAPAN. Most of these are in their charger packs. These are the same as RayOvac Hybrids and are designed by Panasonic. My digital camera do not like them.

EDIT
I have more RayOvac Hybrids than the Japan Duraloops and they work equally well in everything but my digital camera. So they are not a bad battery and they WERE a lot cheaper than the Duraloops. I do not have a Costco membership so I only have a few Eneloops. The Source (Circuit City) was charging $29.95/4 pack!

Last edited:

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
Local Target has both the chinese and japanese duracell pre-charged on the same peg. The made in china ones have a black top, the japanese have a white top, and the flourecsent green label on the cells is a bit different. They also have charger packs with both. So they are thoroughly mixed.

I though rayovac hybrids had a pretty decent reputation? Though not the supermegaawosomeness that is eneloop. But still, they should work ok right.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
while on the dura-loop subject, have you kept the packaging? And compare barcodes?
The first numbers indicate country of origin and manufacturer code I think....

I only have the Made in Japan white top version -
as I had read this Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeables - Buyer Advisory ...
so was aware of the Made in China black top version
(BTW - I have seen black top version in regular AAA 4 packs)

AA barcode (and Made in Japan) - US packaging -
packBrcd.jpg

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I though rayovac hybrids had a pretty decent reputation? Though not the supermegaawosomeness that is eneloop. But still, they should work ok right.
I have a bunch of them that I use in Wii remotes, a Uniden scanner, and some less demanding flashlights.

The Hybrids are advertised to maintain 80% charge after 6 months versus 85% after 1 year for the Eneloops.

I have no problems with the Hybrids that I have.

I have more Eneloops simply due to product availability.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a bunch of them that I use in Wii remotes, a Uniden scanner, and some less demanding flashlights.
The Hybrids are advertised to maintain 80% charge after 6 months versus 85% after 1 year for the Eneloops.
I have no problems with the Hybrids that I have.

There are obviously measurable differences - but whether these are meaningful or significant depends on the application.

Most of the LSD batteries are for most practical purposes about the same.

However eneloops have consistently been the "best" by both reputation and reports in terms of overall electrical charateristics
(yes, there have been some LSD that seem to "beat" the eneloop in self-discharge tests - like Maha Imedion, Kodak Pre-Charged and GP ReCyko)

But if we look at SilverFox's excellent Eneloop Self Discharge study one can see that eneloops can deliver at the limit, higher currents than the RoV Hybrid (or GP ReCyko - my speculation Kodak Pre-Charge are re-badges?), eneloops also maintain higher operating voltage under-load - which can be important for voltage sensitive devices

eg: my Pentax K100D dSLR which is notorious for being very battery fussy - please see summary Post #57 in eneloop vs. Kodak Pre-Charged Voltage Maintenance - where I showed that eneloops over longer term were better than the Kodak Pre-Charged (GP ReCyko re-badges?) - which otherwise were really very good, matching the eneloops stride-for-stride in conventional tests like flashlight runtimes.

So, for now I would buy eneloops as first choice or any confirmed re-badges -
over any other LSD, unless there is a non-trivial price difference.
(the only exception might be the gray/green color scheme UltraLast Hybrios please see When is a Hybrio not a Hybrio? )

The DuraLoops are normally premium/over priced at most high street shops - but they do occassionally go on sale so can be had for <$10/4

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I only have the Made in Japan white top version -
as I had read this Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeables - Buyer Advisory ...
so was aware of the Made in China black top version
(BTW - I have seen black top version in regular AAA 4 packs)

AA barcode (and Made in Japan) - US packaging -
packBrcd.jpg

I just found, but did not buy black topped duraloops at Walgreens B&M. The battery and box both say made in Japan. Any idea what they could be? repackaged eneloop? chinese fakes? If they are just Japan eneloops with Duracell label, I will buy them.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found, but did not buy black topped duraloops at Walgreens B&M. The battery and box both say made in Japan. Any idea what they could be? repackaged eneloop? chinese fakes? If they are just Japan eneloops with Duracell label, I will buy them.
No idea what they could be. They are Duracell Pre-Charged with 2000 mAh capacity?

The only way to tell more is to look at them very closely and see if they look like eneloops. The positive end in particular is very distinctive and is hard to confuse with other batteries.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
No idea what they could be. They are Duracell Pre-Charged with 2000 mAh capacity?

The only way to tell more is to look at them very closely and see if they look like eneloops. The positive end in particular is very distinctive and is hard to confuse with other batteries.

If memory serves it was ~2600. I will go back tomorrow and look at them and take a picture if security will let me.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If memory serves it was ~2600. I will go back tomorrow and look at them and take a picture if security will let me.
No need to take a picture, it will not help much. But eneloops are 2000 mAh. If the batteries you see are not 2000 mAh they cannot be rebadged eneloops.

If I recall correctly, someone else has also mentioned these other Duracell batteries that are made in Japan. There are several battery manufacturers in Japan though, so there is no simple way to tell which one made these.