Southern California Snow

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Greetings from the dusty California High Desert, where the sun and sand...er..

SoCalSnow1.jpg

SoCalSnow2.jpg

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also make some comment about how much more fierce snowstorms were in my days and to get off my lawn but StarHalo, that second picture you took is nothing short of amazingly beautiful!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I grew up in Kansas, where this would indeed be considered a mild dusting of snow, but I'm taking these pictures from the middle of a desert - a 110+ degrees in the summer, cactus and tumbleweed actual desert. Expect some record/never-before-seen snow level reports (it's been snowing all day, several inches more since I took the pictures earlier; I measured seven inches an hour ago, and the temp is about to fall below freezing..)

addictedmatt

Enlightened
The pic of the flower is pretty awesome. We are supposed to get a foot tonight, guess I'm getting up early. The weather channel suggests keeping an extra flashlight in the car, but I doubt I'll need more than five.:laughing:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Oh, I forgot to update, here's how the last 48 hours have played out - at 9AM on the day I took those pictures, the single major artery (I-15 Cajon Pass) that leads out of the High Desert down to Los Angeles was CLOSED. This means that tens of thousands of people who drove to work suddenly found themselves essentially trapped on the other side of a mountain range (there is a detour, but you have to drive completely around the mountain range on the Coastal Highway, easily a 4+ hour detour). By that night, we had right around 8 inches of snow total. A local town near the interstate closing point set up an "Evacuation Center" for people who could not find a hotel room and needed someplace to stay or park.

Skip ahead to the next morning (the 18th), at 7AM the interstate finally reopens, but is completely jammed and moving only in fits and starts - at the time the highway reopened, there were still over 400 cars stuck on/near the road waiting to be moved, plus at the same time there was a huge rush of tourists who wanted to get up the mountain to ski the new record snowfall. The interstate remained jammed until well after the evening rush hour.

But through it all we never lost power; we had plenty of heat/food/supplies and everything went smoothly and comfortable for us (and everyone else who decided to stay home). Plus my born-in-Cali wife and two boys got to go out and play in their first ever snowfall, fun stuff :twothumbs

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm in Victorville, south of Barstow. You'll pass by me each time you drive to Vegas from the south :p

It's 50-ish, sunny and cloudless lately, back to normal desert winter weather..