Do Flashlights lose value?

kris994

Newly Enlightened
If you buy a $100+ dollar flashlight, how quickly will it lose its value?

Would there be any possibility of selling it in a few months/years and getting a decent amount back?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends on the light, but my rule of thumb for stuff that doesn't have a clear market value is 75% of what you can get it for new + free shipping.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it depends what you buy and whether it is limited production and if it becomes "popular" after production ends. Like any collectible.

Karl

paulr

Flashaholic
It varies. The morre desirable and/or collectable ones have held their value pretty well in the short term, though the general economic downturn has put a crimp in this, as people don't buy so much expensive stuff any more, and maybe there is a bit of a glut these days. In the long run, just like any other electronic gadget they all get passed by newer technology. The real classics hold up ok but the rest depreciate quite a bit.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
If there is something very unique about a flashlight, such as limited runs, custom made etc., you may get a premium for it later. It it is a production run it is most likely that improvements (better LEDs, better interface) will mean that your hundred dollars will buy a better flashlight in the future and the one you bought now will have less value by comparison.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the solution to that: Don't buy anything you don't plan on using, or plan on reselling. That way the market value doesn't matter at all to you.

For instance, I own a few custom lights. My two McLuxes and a Lunasol are probably the best in terms of holding their value since they are easily upgradable and considered highly desirable. But over the long term, once most users have forgotten what the McLux III PD is, and what the Lunasol 27 is, they will probably not be able to command as high a price. How many here remember what the SFIII stands for? FFIII? What's a LionCub? Arc LS (not Arc6)?

Also consider the fact that I bought each of them to use and carry (which I do, every day one of them is in my pockets), which will leave marks from carry and (ab)use, and this causes them to lose value the most. A light that is not perfectly mint (and it is very easy to leave marks on a light) will not attain full resale value, since many prefer their lights pristine. (I prefer my lights used and enjoyed.) If you carry your $100+ light it will definitely lose value, but if you liked it when you bought it hopefully you will still like it now.

One McLux I have owned and carried every day for three years and I still love it. It is like an old friend and I could not imagine selling it even if I didn't plan on using it any more. I could probably sell it for what I paid despite the wear marks just because McLuxes are so highly desirable but a mint McLux would sell for much more. I value many of my lights much more than they would fetch if I sold them because I enjoy using them so much so I just do not sell very much.

Generally speaking, the only flashlights that really go up in value are either limited runs or customs. But customs only go up if they are considered valuable, and they still seem to depreciate at some point, usually after the next "big thing" happens, ie the switch from Luxeon to Cree.

On the other hand, in the short term you are very likely to be able to make most of your money back if you decide you don't want the light anymore. How short a term depends on the perceived value and quality of the light. Generally speaking "trend of the month" flashlights where a new design comes out every month or every few months are hardly worth reselling and high end production, limited productions, one-offs and customs will see the best resale value. On average I'd think you'd break even unless you knew exactly which ones to pick up and when to resell.

Hopefully you will find a light you really enjoy and hang onto it for the next couple years and if you decide to upgrade or replace it, maybe you will even feel you've had your money's worth. For many of the older lights in my humble collection of users, I feel I've had just that.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regular production lights, if you buy and put it away, do not use it, keep it pristine, in the box, you might get your money back or better, in a number of years when they are no longer made. When they become a collectable, this will take a while patience, and a lot of storage is a plus. Think of it, why would anyone buy a used production light still made for the same price as they can new and perhaps be taking someone elses junk?

With limited production runs, or customs you might get luckier and get your money back quicker and easier, if you keep it in excellant condition.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also depends on the economy.

As recently as a few months ago, almost any limited production light (esp. Ti) resold on B/S/T would get premium pricing. No longer. Like everything else, pricing is driven by supply & demand. Many lights now don't get sold until the price is lowered.

Like others have said, you are better off buying a light for your own use and not hoping for a profit in the future...