Other solar chargers similar to this Energizer exist?

dblagent

Newly Enlightened
I just read about this charger yesterday and it seems to be something I think I really need, my question is if there are others out there like this? I have not seen one, but then again, I have not been looking and this seemed like the best place to find out.

http://www.goodcleantech.com/2008/12/exclusive_first_photos_of_ener.php#more

I think I need something like this, with solar charging and the ability to charge cell phones. Could be a nice emergency item to own one or two of. Any other suggestions for a small compact solar unit like this?

Marduke

Flashaholic
DX sold a cheap one for a while, but it's been sold out for a long time. That Energizer looks like one of the better compact setups I've seen, I look forward to a full release of the specs.

Toaster

Enlightened
Powerfilm makes some good portable solar chargers, but they are far more expensive than $50. I don't expect the Energizer unit will be able to charge 2 Eneloops in less than 8 hours due to the small size of the solar panel. But I'll probably pick one up anyhow. The versatility and price point look to be pretty impressive.

dblagent

Newly Enlightened
Well cool, I was hoping I had not just been missing out. I think this would be a great bug out bag item to have, just in case. Looks nice in the photos, I hope it is a good quality item.

I will now have to keep watching for it to come out.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look on Harbor Freight's web site. They have a little solar charger costing about $11 that can charge 2 AA cells. It doesn't have the same sophisticated construction quality of the Energizer one though.

Trouble is, the Harbor Freight one has an output of about 100 mA so it would take over 20 hours to charge, say, a pair of Eneloops. That's going to be the trouble with all compact solar chargers -- unless the solar panel is big enough, the power output will be inadequate for many purposes.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought that very model from CCrane years ago when it was ~$15. I never even took it out of the box. I had no faith in it but I had bought many many things from them over the years and and I figured that for it's low price it would be entertaining to try to get it to work in an emergency (entertainment is much more important in an ongoing crisis than the uninitiated can imagine). I also bought it because I like CCrane and I felt that there was always the possibility that it may actually work.

Well, I wrung it out on the high ground in the aftermath of K in New Orleans. It does work. I charged NiCDs and NiMH AAs with it for a few weeks to augment my stash. Bear in mind that these are very much hands on units. They are 'dumb chargers' so it's up to the user to know the capacity of the cells to be charged and to time the whole process for a good charge.

I think that that unit, with all of it's limitations, is well worth it's price. It actually has a clever design which is well thought out and durable. It may be kind of demanding for every day use but in emergencies it is acceptable to invest more attention to this kind of process. The important thing is that the unit works as advertized and it is cheap.

For all of those reasons this unit passes the 'opener' requirments imo for an 'emergency device'. In extremus it will serve it's owner far better than nothing, if that is important to anyone. When my power came back on after six weeks I boxed it up and put it back in our storm kit.
My brother bought about five of these from another vendor. I had two of them when the hurricane came through Ohio (Yes, it really did! Power was out 5 days). They don't seem like much to behold, but I have to say they do work, and quite well. They are, very slow.
I must say that because of it's slowness it occured to me that multiples of this unit could be useful. Way better than nothing.

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Does anyone else see a flashlight integrated into the end of the Energizer charger with the hinge? Or am I seeing things?

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
I have the powerfilm aa charger. It's a nice unit. It claims to have 400ma output from the fold out solar panels. It also has a smart charger which won't overcharge the cells. I haven't had much sun since I got it, but I did charge 4cells with about 1000mah in about 6 hours of partly cloudy sunlight.

They just came out with a 2 aa version with a USB port that I probably would have chose instead if I had only known about it.

Bones

Enlightened
I have the powerfilm aa charger. It's a nice unit. It claims to have 400ma output from the fold out solar panels. It also has a smart charger which won't overcharge the cells. I haven't had much sun since I got it, but I did charge 4cells with about 1000mah in about 6 hours of partly cloudy sunlight.

They just came out with a 2 aa version with a USB port that I probably would have chose instead if I had only known about it.

Thanks for your observations on the Powerfilm charger netprince. I've been casting acquisitive looks their way for a while now, so an actual owner's feedback is helpful.