Can you see the beam of your blu ray laser?

iemand

Newly Enlightened
...the beam of your blu ray laser outside in open air at night?

If so, what mW's is your laser?

Would a 20mW blu ray beam be visible?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Re: Can you see...

My 100mW shows up fairly well, but I am in Florida and the humidity is higher than average here.
icon6.gif

Cowley

Newly Enlightened

Let me preface my comments by stating I'm very new to high performance lasers, but have been "playing" with a low-power greenie for several years. I recently acquired a blu-ray that exceeds 200mW and on a cool, crisp, low humidity night (good seeing) it won't come close to emitting the visible beam put out by my green 120mW. Both were constructed by Jayrob so they are good quality builds and I trust the numbers. I'm into astronomy also and I don't think the blu-ray is going to perform the way you want in an astronomy setting. Just my two cents and good luck.

iemand

Newly Enlightened

Cowley, I understand you can't compare a 200mW bluray beam to that of a 120mW green, but what if you would compare it to a 5mW green?

Cowley

Newly Enlightened

Cowley, I understand you can't compare a 200mW bluray beam to that of a 120mW green, but what if you would compare it to a 5mW green?

I havn't done a side by side comparison, but if I remember the green 5mW beam shaft accurately, it will strongly out perform the blu-ray. If I get some time this evening I will do a comparison and get back with you.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
You have a 200mW blu-ray handheld? :eek: Have you seen it measured? Just curious. 200mW seems a bit high unless it is fairly over driven. I am not an expert, but I thought the 6x... maybe it was 4x, that are good for 100mW at 90 to 100mA. I think mine is at 90 and measured 100mW. I'd like to know what diode that is. I plan to combine two to put in the projector. :cool:

Cowley

Newly Enlightened
You have a 200mW blu-ray handheld? :eek: Have you seen it measured? Just curious. 200mW seems a bit high unless it is fairly over driven. I am not an expert, but I thought the 6x... maybe it was 4x, that are good for 100mW at 90 to 100mA. I think mine is at 90 and measured 100mW. I'd like to know what diode that is. I plan to combine two to put in the projector. :cool:

Allthat,

See this thead, post #14 by one of the best I have ever dealt with.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/208954

Iemand,

I'm going to try and do a comparison this weekend and will get back with a comparison between the 5mW Green and the Blu-ray.

Milos

Newly Enlightened
You can see 20mW when beam is comming towards you in dark room without extra smoke.

The more smoke, the better.

100mW - no problem seeing in the semi dark room.

200mW will tell you very soon :)

leukoplast

Newly Enlightened
I have two 405nm violets, one is about 5mW the other ranges from 20-30mW. Both I can see the beam of in pitch black, especially when my eyes have adjusted to the darkness. The higher mW one I can see the beam outside with some lights around, but it's very faint. I can really see it when I put the laser at eye level aiming away from me.

NOTE: Where I live its pretty humid, if the air was really dry I'm sure the beam would be a lot less visible.

JLumens

Newly Enlightened
i just orderd my blue ray diod and i was try to figyour out the power need it, and why some are violet?