HDS U60XRGT vs. Novatac 120

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
U60XRGT.jpg

Will the HDS U60 series lights continue to go up in value even though Novatac has the 120 series? I've been away from CPF for awhile and was surprised to see how high the U60's are selling for in the marketplace.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
U60XRGT.jpg

Will the HDS U60 series lights continue to go up in value even though Novatac has the 120 series? I've been away from CPF for awhile and was surprised to see how high the U60's are selling for in the marketplace.

Old HDS lights are really not worth much.You know with all the new ones out,so I'll do you a favor and take that XRGT off your hands if you want.Can't be worth more then $150 or so:whistle:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's amazing to me the "cult" like following that these lights generate :confused:.
It's a great design for sure but why are they so coveted?

Why? because they are great lights! They do what they were built for and never complain.They are the perfect size for EDC built like a tank have some of the best run times on lower levels and AHHH forget it either you get HDS lights or you don't.:thumbsup:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
It's amazing to me the "cult" like following that these lights generate :confused:.
It's a great design for sure but why are they so coveted?

I've been hearing about them and how great they are for a while now but just never bought one. I like the fact that it has a very low output option so I just bought one from the BST forum...hopefully it'll live up to the hype!!

Sorry I can't answer the question asked by the OP...I had the same question after seeing one in the BST forum go for MUCH more than I paid for my 120P! Interested in peoples thoughts on this too...

chaoss

Enlightened
Why? because they are great lights! They do what they were built for and never complain.They are the perfect size for EDC built like a tank have some of the best run times on lower levels and AHHH forget it either you get HDS lights or you don't.:thumbsup:

What about Novatac? They (mine) meet all of the specs that you just listed.
Clearly the current value of a HDS is such because they are no longer in production and i'm OK with that.

Now what is this elitest HDS attitude that you seem to have with non HDS peeps :thumbsup::thumbsup:?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Clearly the current value of a HDS is such because they are no longer in production and i'm OK with that.

Now what is this elitest HDS attitude that you seem to have with non HDS peeps :thumbsup::thumbsup:?

Novatac lights and yes i had several myself are good lights They are however,NOT of HDS build and quality.Not to mention the company is about as dishonest a company as i have dealt with.I have no attitude to non-HDS folk just have issues when ppl compare them to novatac.All is good:thumbsup::thumbsup:

chaoss

Enlightened
Novatac lights and yes i had several myself are good lights They are however,NOT of HDS build and quality.Not to mention the company is about as dishonest a company as i have dealt with.I have no attitude to non-HDS folk just have issues when ppl compare them to novatac.All is good:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up thermal guy, no biggie :).

As to the HDS line, i know that if they were a little more affordable (to me) i would own one for sure. If they are better than the NT's like you say they are it would be a great light for EDC.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

The build quality is better on the HDS lights, they can take higher voltage (only a point if you use an extender) and with a quick emitter swap they are brighter than the Novatac. The Novatac has somewhat easier programming though.

Sverre

PS! I have a HDS, but if they weren't available I'd get a Novatac.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronics in the HDS EDC are way better than the Novatac. If you update the HDS EDC with a SSC P4 its going to be brighter than a Novatac with similar runtime on max. The low runtime is almost double that of a Novatac. THe HDS EDC is still pretty much king of low level runtimes on a single (R)CR123 even after about 4 years since its introduction.

The Novatac is like an HDS EDC with a bunch of corners cut to make it cheaper to make and easier to mass produce.

The only thing that the Novatac has that some might prefer over the HDS EDC would be the UI.

Runtime and brightness comparisons between the latest Ra Clicky and a HDS EDC with an SSC P4(level 1) show the HDS EDC being equally as bright or brighter than a Ra Clicky on burst. Level 2 on the EDC is about the same as well and provides similar runtime. However the EDC will provide longer runtimes at the lowest levels. The light is just too damn good, thats why people are willing to pay. How do you go about beating the best.

Last edited:

chaoss

Enlightened
This is great information to know and thanks for posting.
You know that by sharing this, myself and maybe others are going to want to buy a HDS in the future. You know that this will create even less used inventory and also higher $$ for these little gems :mecry:.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great information to know and thanks for posting.
You know that by sharing this, myself and maybe others are going to want to buy a HDS in the future. You know that this will create even less used inventory and also higher $$ for these little gems :mecry:.

There's a chance to pick up NOS HDS U60s in the BST for about $165. I forgot the user's name, but that's your best chance to get essentially new HDS EDCs.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There's a chance to pick up NOS HDS U60s in the BST for about $165. I forgot the user's name, but that's your best chance to get essentially new HDS EDCs.

There is also a U85 for sale! Hey tebore,could you lend me $360:D

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies. That pretty much clears it up for me.

Now I've got to decide which emitter to upgrade to. Do you think USVOH or High CRI?

Old HDS lights are really not worth much.You know with all the new ones out,so I'll do you a favor and take that XRGT off your hands if you want.Can't be worth more then $150 or so:whistle:

Thanks Thermal for the offer, but I think I'll pass. :crackup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
All kidding aside you got a pretty rare HDS there.If resale is likely down the road I'd keep it stock and get another one to mod.Just my opinion

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
All kidding aside you got a pretty rare HDS there.If resale is likely down the road I'd keep it stock and get another one to mod.Just my opinion

Thanks again Thermal. I appreciate your opinions and will do as you suggest. Do you think a knurled tail cap, different bezel or anything else would add value to this light?

I guess I'll focus on upgrading the emitter on my other EDC (McLux III PD).

Thanks

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks again Thermal. I appreciate your opinions and will do as you suggest. Do you think a knurled tail cap, different bezel or anything else would add value to this light?

I guess I'll focus on upgrading the emitter on my other EDC (McLux III PD).

Thanks

The knurled cap adds a lot to the price! They are really hard to get.As far as the bezel goes That is up to the buyer and it's a quick fix to remove it.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bezels will not just add to the value of the light, but provide the protection the front of the light so sorely needs.

If you're going for an emitter swap a High CRI is really nice. If you want to stick to the cool color of your XRGT you'd be looking at the U2SWOH. If you want something just a bit warmer than your XRGT you're looking at the U2SVOH. Something to think about, if you don't upgrade your HDS you're less likely to use it and want to sell it. If you do upgrade it I bet you'll be putting it back in your pocket as EDC.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be inclined to keep the XRGT stock and find another to mod. Try a 17670 tube from Lighthound for $10 if you're bored with the light.

I don't know that they will go up in value, but I bet they stay steady.