Charging 'new' Energizers

darklord

Newly Enlightened
I bought a pack of Energizer NiMH 2000s a few months back but they've been sitting on the shelf - I got them as they were a good deal.

I broke them open tonight and then stopped in my tracks - because I'm not sure whether to put them straight on charge...or discharge?

For a while I've been under the impression NiMH batts came 'empty' (or virtually so), but when I put these on my cheap Hama battery state indicator, they showed on the good/weak borderline. I chucked them in my Duo and they fired it up nicely.

So researching further here, i read Mr Happy's guide and some info. that said all NiMH come with some charge ex-factory. Mr Happy says they should be run through a charge cycle (i think that was the term?)...but doesn't explain what that charge cycle is?

I've no meters or fancy high-end chargers or anything like that, and I know nothing of amps and volts and watt not. I have a super-fast 'smart' charger which can charge 4 2700 cells in about 4hrs (maybe not super fast!!). It has 4 separate circuits and you can put in any combination and number of cells...2 x AA, 1 x AAA, 1 empty....etc. and it will charge each cell independently on its own merit, and when charged go to trickle. the charger claims to be a 'discharger' as well although there are no instructions as to how that works!

My question is, what should I do with these 'new' Energizers? charge them up? or run them down, first? Or both? Remember, I have no meters for measuring amps and volts, nor do I want to - I just want to be a 'good housekeeper' so to speak!

thanks.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What to do depends a bit on the particular batteries and the kind of charger you have available. In your case with those batteries and that charger I would just put them on charge straightaway, then use them normally after that.

There is a difference between "low self-discharge" batteries like Eneloops and "standard technology" batteries like the Energizers you have. The LSD batteries hold their charge for years and come pre-charged from the factory. The standard batteries are charged at the factory too, but they will self-discharge to zero in about six months, so the chances are they don't hold much charge when you get them. You may as well just charge them up before use.

There is also a difference between chargers. If you happen to have the Maha C9000 charger, then it has a special conditioning mode for batteries. This mode applies a small charge on a timer for 16 hours. Before doing that, many people prefer to discharge the batteries first (the C9000 also has a discharge mode). If you have a regular charger much of this doesn't apply and you can just use the charger to charge the batteries as required.

darklord

Newly Enlightened
My dharger does have a discharge function. There are just no instructions on how to use it!! It says clearly on the case LCD Rapid Charger/Discharger.

I've found it an excellent reliable charger (in as much as I know about chargers), but can't work out how to discharge.

I also havbe a v.slow Energizer charger which seems to be a 12hour charge cycle type. Got that in one of those bundle batteries and charger packs.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dharger does have a discharge function. There are just no instructions on how to use it!! It says clearly on the case LCD Rapid Charger/Discharger.

I've found it an excellent reliable charger (in as much as I know about chargers), but can't work out how to discharge.
Do you have a make/model number for it?

In any case, my advice is no different. Just put the batteries straight on charge. Unless you have a demanding use for the batteries there is not a lot to gain from doing special charge/discharge cycles on them.

[Edit: If you can figure out how to do a discharge, and with the other slow charger available, there are more elaborate things you could do. Do you want to play? :) ]

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks, maybe I was getting too paranoid about it!

No make, no. it's from Taiwan but sold here by the well respected Component Shop, second item down the list.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's a little button at the foot of the charger, the usual procedure is that you put the batteries in as if for charging and then press the button. That switches the charger into discharge mode, in which case it will discharge the batteries before charging them.

This process is not super necessary for NiMH batteries, but it can be useful to do it every few charges or if the batteries seem to be getting weak.

darklord

Newly Enlightened
here it is...with the said same energizers on charge:

chargerdv8.jpg

I wasn't keeping that button pressed down long enough....:oops:

thx.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, nice.

So a way to "refresh" batteries to help get the maximum performance out of them is to charge them up normally as you are doing; then, without removing them from the charger, I think you can press that button and it will start discharging them before charging them again. Lather, rinse, repeat as the mood takes you. This process of full discharges followed by full charges can help rejeuvenate old and tired batteries and bring them back to their best performance. It won't always bring them back to as-new condition, but it will often make an improvement.

dgrogers

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a make/model number for it?

In any case, my advice is no different. Just put the batteries straight on charge. Unless you have a demanding use for the batteries there is not a lot to gain from doing special charge/discharge cycles on them.

You're basically telling me I have way more charger (C9000) than I need to power my Wii remotes.......I guess it's time to look in to some demanding devices.....

Through normal smart charger use, will the batteries basically get stretched out enough to perform close to batteries that go through the break in mode of the C9000? My old charger used to cook alot of batteries so I think I may have gone overboard this time (but that's ok, learning about battery chemistry is still interesting).

I bought another basic smart charger (Lenmar Mach 1) just before pulling the trigger on the C9000 that, as far as I can tell, adjusts and terminates charge based on battery temp (among other things). The batteries that came with the Lenmar are going through break in on the C9000. My ultimate goal is to see how well the Lenmar charges the batteries (I already know the batteries will stay cool), and I'm going to use the C9000 to figure that out.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I went through a phase of buying different chargers because they looked or sounded neat. But today though, the C9000 is always my first choice of charger for any duty, special or mundane. I only look to other chargers if the C9000 is already occupied.

Basically, if you have a C9000 you can do good stuff with it. And you can do regular charging with it. But if someone doesn't own one, what does it help for me to tell them about things they cannot do?

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Basically, if you have a C9000 you can do good stuff with it. And you can do regular charging with it. But if someone doesn't own one, what does it help for me to tell them about things they cannot do?

So thankyou for keeping the advice on track!!

Nevertheless, interesting to read about the competence of the C-9000. Not sure how widely available it is here, although that site I mentioned earlier does have the La Crosse RS900 for $50.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
darklord - that's actually a very good charge; it should serve you well. As you figured out just hold the button down. :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes - same factory there are probably 6-8 versions of that charger; various charge rates, & plug types.

Perhaps the best charger factory in the world. They build most of our high line Titanium Innovations brand chargers.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer designs with the external power cord as darklord pictured. It is more convenient to switch cords/plug adapters when traveling, and it allows you to position the charger on a desk and/or cope with limited access power outlets.

Bones

Enlightened
I bought a pack of Energizer NiMH 2000s a few months back but they've been sitting on the shelf - I got them as they were a good deal.

It would be interesting to know when your cells were made darklord.

If you're so inclined, there should be a four digit date code etched or embossed along their longitudal axis in a blank area.

I can't remember off-hand which is the month and year, but it may be self-evident if one is a double-digit.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer designs with the external power cord as darklord pictured. It is more convenient to switch cords/plug adapters when traveling, and it allows you to position the charger on a desk and/or cope with limited access power outlets.

Agreed, for home use it's more convenient and we do offer an 8 cell version with seperate cord/adapters as well as dozens of other models with seperate cord sets; the swirled plug style is great for travelling as it's much more compact with no cords to mess with.

We're actually considering offering something similar to what he showed as well - either that model or a new exclusive design we've been working on which is closer to the look of our 8 cell model (the exclusive design would be more compact - that one has an integrated switching power supply, ours would be external).

The 8 cell model looks like this:
theshorelinemarket_2041_16233521

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, for home use it's more convenient and we do offer an 8 cell version with seperate cord/adapters as well as dozens of other models with seperate cord sets; the swirled plug style is great for travelling as it's much more compact with no cords to mess with.
Thanks for responding, Matt. I may be something of an outlier when it comes to convenience for travelling, as I have observed that hotels sometimes put the power outlets at desktop height for the convenience of laptop users. In such cases there physically may not be room to plug in a swirled plug style charger. I therefore like the "figure of eight" mains cord models since the figure eight mains cord is very light compared to a wall wart adapter, and it can plug in anywhere with restricted physical access. Added to which you can easily swap the mains cord for one with an appropriate mains plug for the location.

I do like the look of that 8 cell model though, and I'm sorry I don't have a need for it right now.

darklord

Newly Enlightened
It would be interesting to know when your cells were made darklord. If you're so inclined, there should be a four digit date code etched or embossed along their longitudal axis in a blank area.

(had to put my glasses on and even then almost didn't see it!)