Why not McSpot??

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Dear dat2zip,

I simply cut the base of the Mini Maglite reflector, put it over a Lumildes Lambertian and it was quite amazing - Nice hot spot and smooth flood surrounding the spot.

I have a brighter hot spot with the NX05 optic but it lacks flooding light while McFlood has a nice flood but lacks hot spot.

As a frequent rock climber and a MTB rider at night, I do need a beam which has a hot spot beam throw to see the things at a longer distance while at the same time I need a flood to see the things closer.

Do you have any plan to build a reflector the same size as McFlood but with hot spot??

Cheers..

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** previous message deleted ***

Sounds like you can mod the existing reflector like you did.

Is there some reason people can't hack their existing reflector? Sounds like you have a nice solution. No need to re-mold and create that, is there?

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Dear dat2zip,

I would buy the McSpot if available. I guess it would look more professional than my handmade one. I already bought 2 McFloods but would buy another 2-3 McSpot if available. I guess there are many others looking for this kind of solution rather than NX05 optics..

Cheers..

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i suggested this exact same idea to don in another thread, a coincidence that i called it the mcspot also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what i was looking for is a reflector that would provide a long throwing spot, possibly at the cost of some perefrial light.
i had thought of making my own spot-type reflector, but in order to have good light reflectance (i don't think that's a word...) i would need to apply some sort of coating, like the en used on the mcflood, which i simply don't have the resources to do.

i think that if somene can make a reflector with longer range than the nx05, there would be a good deal of demand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If someone can show me a good parabolic reflector the size of the NX05 that will outperform the NX05 in throw, I'll be their first customer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Early on, I used 1W HD's in the E(x)e bezels and they did have a good tight spot with a real nice flood. However the light density in the spot was not equal to the NX05 and they didn't throw as far. I switched over to the SE which has a larger center beam but concentrates quite a bit of its output in this portion of the beam.

I think Xbrite would be happy with the beam from a 2.5" SF turbo reflector but it sure as heck ain't the size of a NX05!!

- Don

BTW, Wayne, if you do get some McSpots, count me in for a few. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
there must be some shape that would allow it!

it might not even end up looking like a reflector...but it's there...waiting to be discovered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the deeper a reflector is, the better the spot. Might have to make something like a cornucopia-like reflector... Or hunt around for a flashlight with one. Another excuse to go pillaging...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Dear guys,

I put 5W HD in the modified Mini Maglite reflector which was similar to the size of McFlood and wow, the beam shape was what I wanted for long.

I know it is not as good as the 2.5" SF Turbo reflector BUT I was more than satisfied as the outdiameter is quite smaller than 2.5" so that I can make make my 5W Bike light and/or 1W head lantern/ flashlight very small.

Cheers..

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xbright
I also used a minimag reflector cut down a little on top of a 5 watter and am getting a good beam with a little better total (very useable for me)light output.
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best reflector would be the most parabolic one. Mini doesn't have a very deep (parabolic) reflector, so much of the light will get scattered around.