• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti PD-S low level current bump?

brucec

Enlightened
I have a Ti PD-S which I use as an EDC. The high beam is nearly perfect, but I rarely use the low mode because the beam is a bit narrow and output is too low. I was thinking that this light could be awesome-er if it were possible to mod it from 525/25mA to something like 525/200mA. Has anyone done something like this to the PD-S driver? Is it even possible? :thinking:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have a Ti PD-S which I use as an EDC. The high beam is nearly perfect, but I rarely use the low mode because the beam is a bit narrow and output is too low. I was thinking that this light could be awesome-er if it were possible to mod it from 525/25mA to something like 525/200mA. Has anyone done something like this to the PD-S driver? Is it even possible? :thinking:

Probably just need to perform a resistor swap. The question is which one... :shrug:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The low is set as a percentage of the high. I can't recall if the GDx2 has a tiny flea speck resistor that sets this percentage or not. Some of the X2 converters did. At any rate, I have never altered the low setting and would not be inclined to attempt to go there. :shrug:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I was told changing one of the 0403 resistors would change the low but as Don said it will also affect the high.

The 0603s are not problem for me. The 0403s are so tiny that they don't even have markings on them. While I love to solder (even tiniest stuff), IMO it's probably too much trouble to change the low. I've never tried it & probably never will. Besides, there's 6 0403 resistors on the GDx2. I have no idea which one it would be nor do I think any one would know what to change it to except for probably Wayne. I'm sure someone could figure it out but again, is it really worth it?

Probably much easier to swap the GDx2 out for a Wiz2x2 from a alumn PD if you really want to change the low. There's a number of different revisions of the Wiz2x2 but some of them that I've seen have three pads for 0603s, two for the high, one for the low. I believe low also changes the high on these too. I've seen rev06 & rev08 that only has one 0603 but I've seen rev01 that has the three 0603 pads. From what I hear about the Wiz2x2 I would never replace a GDx2 with a Wiz2x2.

IMO having levels of 200ma & 500ma wouldn't be very practical. The 25ma/525ma & 150ma/917ma found on most x2 boards IMO are the perfect combinations of low to high.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I rarely use the low mode because the beam is a bit narrow and output is too low.
Since that old PD-S is just sitting around gathering dust, shoot a PM with how much you want for it:D

They're awful little lights, the worst of the worst, but I'm always happy to help another CPF member:devil:

brucec

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I live in a very light polluted area, so the low spot doesn't really help much even inside. I was looking to convert the PD-S to a med/high light vs low/high, hence the 200mA. I think this is because I've been spoiled by the excellent low of the LS20 and the even more excellent flood of the high CRI mule. In comparison, the PD-S low just doesn't look right anymore for indoor use. Now, a 50lumen mizer low mode with roughly 3-4 hours of runtime, coupled with an instantly accessible 120lumen high mode with 1-1.5 hour of runtime would be great for my general and outdoor uses.

Anyways, if it's not possible, it's not possible.

Since that old PD-S is just sitting around gathering dust, shoot a PM with how much you want for it:D

They're awful little lights, the worst of the worst, but I'm always happy to help another CPF member:devil:

You sir, are a true gentleman and philanthropist. You can have the PD-S, but will have to adopt me too :huh: since I am the PD-S's EDC and go everywhere it goes. Think of it as a packaged dependent/light combo deal!

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I've got the same question with a McLuxIII-PD Al, using a Wiz2x2 driver. I'd like to raise only the low, if possible, though I'm not looking for anything as drastic as 200mA.

Since I'm only looking to boost the low by 20-30%, I wouldn't be entirely adverse to the same increase on the high end.

If anyone would be willing to help me figure out how to mod this, please send me a PM.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I'm late to this party as well....:oops:

I've got a McLuxIII PD Al (Slate) & a PD-S mizer (came before the McLuxIII). I EDC the McLuxIII & wouldn't mind getting a boost there either - how do I know what board I have?

The al PD should have a Wiz2x2 but there are a number of board revisions for this driver. Some can easily have low bumped, others are not. The Ti PD & PD-S should have a GDx2 & the low is not easily configurable. High is changed by the 0603 sense resistor.