What AAA Led Flaslight to get.

lnevett

Newly Enlightened
First of all, hello to everybody, this is my fisrt post in here, but I have been watching all for a while;).

Since I started to read you guys I have allready bought a Fenix TK40, and now I am looking for a smaller (size is not critical) AAA baterries flashlight.

So far i am undiceded betwen the Fenix LD01 and the LedLenser P7.

I would said that i am looking for a good throw and runtime.

I like the power on the P7 and the adjustable focus, on the other hand, the Fenix are suposed to be "regulated" (not sure on the LD01) mantaining the quality of ther light.

So please let me know you opinion on either the P7 or the LD01, or any other quality AAA Light.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The p7 and the ld01 are drastically different sizes. Are you looking for something that is keychain sized or pocket sized?

Incidentally how are you liking the tk40, it sounds like an interesting light.

lnevett

Newly Enlightened
Yes i know the are diferents sizes, as some people said sizes doesn't matter.....:whistle:

Since I live outside the US, I am still waiting to get my hands on MY TK40 !!! (shipping & customs)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious what the reasoning is to target AAA rather than AA?

If size really isn't an issue for you, I would say you will get MUCH more flashlight (brightness and runtime) by going with a AA rather than a AAA. The only reason to give up the brightness & runtime associated with a AA or 123 light is because you MUST have the smallness which is only possible with a AAA. Otherwise, not requiring that much smallness, I'd stick with single AA (D10 & ConneXion X2 are two superb examples) and single 123 lights (LF3XT and EX10 being two great examples of this, and there are a large number of other good models to choose from).

Edited to add... as others have mentioned here... if AAA it is to be, consider waiting a short time for the upcoming LF2XT. Liteflux lights are great!

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!

I think that 1st you need to decide if runtime or output is your priority when it comes to a AAA light.

I own an LD01 and i am running it on 10440 li-ion cells and it is extremely bright especially on high mode, but runtime on high is 10 minutes. Runtime is of course extended when using either nimh cells or alkaline cells but with a corresponding dip in output. That being said, i must say that the LD01, for a AAA light is simply amazing whether its run on normal cells or a 10440 cell.

The alternative is the Fenix E01, a long running lower output light. I've found that in a darkened room or when outdoors and its really dark with little or no ambient lighting, the output of the E01 is more than enough while higher output lights tend to damage my night adjusted vision. The E01 is also advertised as running for 10 hours at full output with another 11 hours on 'moon' mode (lower output).

Have fun choosing.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same setup as hyperloop: Fenix LD01 with a 10440.

3 words: Bright, classy looks, unique. I mean, how many people carry stanless steel LED flashlights as keychain? I guess less than 0.000000001% of the worlds population. :grin2:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liteflux LF2X, Fenix LOD/LDO1, or the new Liteflux LF2XT. The LF2XT will be released soon and should have all the flexibility of the LF2X with the ease of a tail switch - you decide how you want it set up.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd hold off a bit longer for the LiteFlux LF2XT. With luck we'll be hearing some firsthand reports in a few weeks. But, if you just can't wait that long the LD01 is a good place to start.

Geoff

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes i know the are diferents sizes, as some people said sizes doesn't matter.....:whistle:

Yes it does. Imagine carrying a 4xAAA 5.5" light and 1xAAA 2.9" everyday. I don't think you want the P7 in your pocket daily or you'll get lots of stare at your, erm, bulge. :laughing:

I say go for LD01 or LF2X (new LF2XT is the new upcoming model).

jupello

Enlightened
I would said that i am looking for a good throw and runtime.

They both have good runtime on low modes, but LD01 does not have much throw. So if it has to be AAA light and size REALLY does not matter, I cant think of a better choice than the LL P7.

lnevett

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the size, It is not meant to be carried in a pocket or key chain, more likely a fanny pack or small back pack.
I am actualy using a Streamlight Scorpion (2x123) and just want to upgrade it.
Regarding the AAA, besides the fact that I can find them everywhere I aslo have a few other items that runs on them.

So taking this in consideration, would it be a logical choice to go with the LedLenser P7?
What do think of the Quality of ledlenser products?

Thanks again...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman S2 is nice.

:welcome: Welcome aboard, lnevett.

I second the recommendation for the 2-level Leatherman Serac S2, shown on the right in this photo. The Streamlight Microstream is good, too, but has only one level of brightness.

I don't know if either is sold in your country.

arc-microstream-s2.jpg

jupello

Enlightened
Regarding the size, It is not meant to be carried in a pocket or key chain, more likely a fanny pack or small back pack.
I am actualy using a Streamlight Scorpion (2x123) and just want to upgrade it.
Regarding the AAA, besides the fact that I can find them everywhere I aslo have a few other items that runs on them.

So taking this in consideration, would it be a logical choice to go with the LedLenser P7?
What do think of the Quality of ledlenser products?

Thanks again...

If you know you'll be needing a light while carrying that pack, then I'd suggest something bigger than 1xAAA light. So I think LedLenser P7 could be pretty logical choice.
Build quality of the new LedLenser products seem to be good, and I haven't noticed any other owners complaining about them either.

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I will not recommend 3xAAA size lights, get a one or two AA light instead.

+1

Regarding 3x AAA lights, only the weight of the battery walls of all 3 cells would already be a large proportion of the total weight of all 3 batteries. At least that's what I heard on CPF.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add on, my LD01 is usually with me everyday, either on my keychain or in the coin pocket of my jeans/business trousers, it's so light that i never feel the weight.

Currently, my keychain carry is my Raw NS and its a beautiful light but just a wee bit heavy and a bit bulky to go in the coin pocket. On my office id lanyard sits a cheap DX light (running off 4 tiny coin cells and is the length and width of the first joint of my pinky finger) but that is just for the sake of having it there :D (can never have enough lights you know).

Get both the LD01 and an E01, you wont regret it. The E01 is lower than the LD01 on low and is more floody compared to the LD01. The LD01 on a 10440 can throw pretty well for its size though, will get some beamshots up and edit this post. cheers.