I want info on the perfect key chain for Gadgets.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently using a quick release Keychain from Fossil. Why I like it:
It is compact.
It allows me to change what is on my keychain quickly and easily.
I can pull my gadgets from it easily while the key is in the ignition.

why I do not like it:
Lately the quick release feature has been too quick.
Three times an Arc-Ls has fallen off of it with out me hitting the quick release feature on it.

What I am looking for is a keychain that will allow me to easily add and remove what I am carrying on it yet is secure.

What kinds of things to I carry on my keychain?
Well key of course. I have to sets, the limited just what I need keys, and the less used key set that I take on and off according to my usage.

I also keep odd stuff on it that I change out as my carry changes. If I have a multi tool on me, the miniture comes off. I keep a flashlight on it. If I already have three lights on me, I pull the keychain light off, this is rare as it is usually part of my three minimum lights.

I sometimes have a small North American Arms .22 mini revolver on it. I only have it on there if I do not have a real backup handgun. I do not consider it to be really effective but it is sometimes on there.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

You can get all sorts of spring clips and snap shackles to fashion your own keychain at Berkely Point

S0185-0035_b.jpg

I just ordered some mini-clips for my Arcs and Leatherman Juice as well as a 2" gate snap.

Here's a close up pic of an Arc AAA with one of the mini-clips:
S0185-0035_c.jpg

They also have a neat belt hanger as well:

apc30_a.jpg

Ross

Enlightened
I use a (non-climbing) carabiner. You can unscrew the gate, put on what you want, and screw the gate up again so everything is held secure. I can clip it to just about anything and clip just about anything to it!

Ross

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Re: I want info on the perfect key chain for Gadge

Used one of these for a while: Link
Each little splitring is attached via a small nut that can be unclipped and reattached separately. Don't know if you can get them stateside; they're made by a German firm whose website www.micromec.de is being reconstructed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
There's a version with a LEDlight too...

shrap

Enlightened

Have you looked at the Versalink?

Link

It's not as gigantic as other carabiner-keychains, and more secure.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I'm with cosmic and use the same setup. I save the gate clip's hook area for whatever I routinely change out. I formerly used a pull-apart until I saw the quality of the Berkley stuff. I hate corrosion and the Berkley stuff doesn't rust and is so well made.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will the holes in standard keys be big enough to slide onto the gate clip's hook area, on the mini-clip? I could really use a system where certain keys or mini-tools are quick-released, but the hangup with snap clips is that the keys won't slide onto the snap clip itself, only onto the itty bitty split ring below.

Joe

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Joe,

The Clip's hook is small but not small enough for what you have in mind. It would only hold one or two items at best . You might want to consider putting a clip on the couple tools that come and go often and use a pear link for holding the keys as well as accepting the clips of the tools.

- Don

BTW. I sourced a very nice stainless pear link from Japan that has a brass knurled threaded gate. It looks similar to the ones linked above but it will sell for more $. BerkeleyPoint will be getting it on their site, one of these days......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redhed

Newly Enlightened
Hey JonSidneyB,
I am quite picky about keys and pocket "stuff". Here's what I've settled on
after trying split rings, steel fishing leaders, nylon and leather key
wallets, Omniseal Flexi-Rings, small bead chains and some other stuff. My
rig is two LuckyLine (see www.luckyline.com for impressive catalog
of key stuff- found mine at a local lock shop though) Twistys linked with a
LuckyLine plastic quick release (works kind of like a fastex buckle). The
twisty rings are braided, stainless steel cable coated in plastic and come
apart by "twisting" them like a figure 8- sounds weird, works slick.
Although it is a 2-handed operation, you can quickly open them and take
things off/put things on way easier than split rings. You can also
add/remove items from both sides- something you can't do with some systems
(e.g. Flexi-Ring). On one Twisty is my house key, Swiss-Tech Utili-Key,
mini Bic lighter in an OnScene kydex microrig, green Traser Glowring, and
white Photon III (soon to be a II if I pull it out of my pocket "On"
again...). How's that for gadgets? Other ring has 2 car keys and alarm
remote. The gadget/house side comes off in a flash if you need to run back
inside for something (important in Texas in June if you want to keep that
A/C running!) or use the gadgets in the car. I can also leave the "car"
side behind when I know a friend is driving, etc. I like it all pretty
well; folds in half and lays in pockets well. Use plastic fobbed keys or
the little slip-on "silencers" and you'll only click instead of jingle all
the way. Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Redhed, you beat me to it.

I've used the twisty rings and belt-clips for two years now and they're the best system I've tried. The twist ring is easy to work and has a small 1/8" diameter at the connector so it fits through most items' holes. It's 1 1/2" round so it will also hold quite a few items. It has NEVER accidentally opened by itself. The plastic is very tough. I've used the same one for two years and yet it has not worn through even though some of my gadgets have semi-sharp edges rubbing against it. And using and opening it is as easy as Redhed described. There is also a "flex-o-loc" style that you bend into a heart shape to release.

The belt clip comes in two styles that I know of. Both are heavy gauge stainless. The one I use clips on to your belt. It stays put and is very easy to use. You just press on the spring gate with your thumb and lift your key ring to release it. The other style works the same except you loop your belt through it. This is even more secure, although the one I use has NEVER accidentally unclipped.

fbe442c1.jpg

fbe442d2.jpg

I wear two clips as shown in the pics. One with the twisty and gadgets on my right side. The other with lanyards that suspend other gadgets on the left side inside my pockets so they don't settle on the bottom.

The clips cost about $2 each and the belt clip about $4 at ACE hardware. Other hardware stores and locksmith shops also carry them.

Redhed

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gyverpete,
Cool set-up. What is the thing in the far right on the bottom pic? Looks interesting- also, is that a folder clipped behind the clip? Why so many small multi-tools, can you list what we are looking at?

I can't really talk about carrying too many mini-tools, in addition to my keychain above (left front pocket) I carry a small Chisco Marsupial pouch in my right front pocket that has a Sebertech M4, TKS Notecard, mini compass, gum, and nail clippers inside, with a Victorinox Signature II clipped to it and a chopped mini Fox 40 whistle as a zipper pull. Leatherman Wave in my bag too!

I like the idea of those belt clips but have never bought one for 2 reasons- I thought it might tear up my belts and I don't like having stuff dangling off my belt (unless I can have my shirt untucked- which is not "biz casual"). I get enough people asking, "is that your phone?" about my T68i in horizontal leather Incase belt case. Or there's "What's that?" referring to the (skull) clip on my Emerson CQC-7 (shares RFP with the marsupial). So much stuff, so few pockets...

I used this for a while too, it's a cool key thingie that should be mentioned while we're on the topic. I eventually stopped using mine because it takes two hands to operate and that's when I went to work silencing my keys in other ways:
http://www.cellsafe.com/keycover.html

Plus, I added an alarm remote and it was just too bulky, but this keycover may work for some people, especially if you want keys sharing a pocket with lights or stuff that you don't want scratched.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Hi Redhed,
Thanks!
It's an ARC-LS. If your not already familiar with this light, look at this very detailed FAQ which was done up by Peter Gransee, ARC flashlight Co. President, ARC Forum Moderator, and a really nice guy. (The other light in the FAQ is the ARC-AAA, another favorite at CPF. I carry it 24/7 on a neck lanyard. My #1 flashlight!)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=241406&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Basically, the LS is an awesome, top quality, very popular, small and very bright 1watt LED flashlight that uses a cr-123 lithium battery (or 2-AA with alternate pack). Price is from $60-130 from various dealers.
If you already know all this, maybe the holster and lanyard threw you off. I made the holster from cordura nylon with lexan inserts and a quick action "safety" to keep the light from accidentally being pulled out. The thing sticking up is an elastic finger lanyard that allows me to put a finger through it to pull out the light and prevent it from being dropped while in use. I undo the safety, pull out the light and turn it on, all with just one hand.

The folder is the Kershaw Chive, designed by Ken Onion. It's a small knife with assisted opening. I like it alot. It cost $30 at Walmart.

The multitools I carry have some overlapping redundant functions, but each one has tools that the others do not and I try to cover all the bases. I tend to be overprepared. And besides they are small and easily carried. Take a look at the link in my previous post for all of my EDC gear. It looks like alot but I wear it comfortably and most of it inconspicuously. The large and small colored Leatherman tools, and the pill case hang on lanyards from the clip, inside my jeans pockets. With shorts and dress pants these items hang inside my waist band. Either way they are unseen. The knife is hidden behind the LS holster. The only items visible to the observer are the phone (in homemade holster), ARC-LS in holster, two key clips, keyring w/ gadgets and Leatherman Micra.

Over the two years with the same heavy leather belt, the part where I wear my clips is very very lightly scuffed at the top edge. Virtually no wear on the flat part. I too am particular about premature wear on most of my stuff, but this small amount of wear is acceptable to me. The clip is polished stainless with no sharp edges and since it clips firmly, it doesn't slide on the belt the way the other style clip does (which would cause more wear). It hasn't loosened up at all. Still looks and works like new. Highly recommended.

My keys don't jingle enough to bother me but I like that "cell safe" silencer idea. I might have to make a custom one. It looks like it might work well with my current setup. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for the link!

Screehopper

Enlightened

I use a carabiner used for mountain climbing (not the fake no load bearing type) to hold some of my gear.

Redhed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Gyverpete. I am familiar with all those gadgets, I just did not recognize the ARC-LS in your custom set-up. Glad you like the Kershaw. I am going to buy my brother a Leek for his birthday next month. If you want, email or PM me your address and I will mail my cell safe key silencer to you to play around with for a while (it's just sitting in a drawer at home). You can try it out and sew some up if you're handy enough. I think a good mod for it would be to make one side velcro or snaps instead of a stitched up seam- that make make it one hand capable. Anyhow, let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif